News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/21 - Les Schwab Ampitheater - Bend, OR - Post-show Discussion

Started by emay, July 22, 2015, 12:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

Set 1: Sample In A Jar, Sand, 555, Rift, Halfway to the Moon, Horn, Devotion to a Dream, Blaze On, Tube, Wolfmans' Brother

Set 2: Ghost > Birds of A Feather*, Mike's Song> The Wedge, Fuego, Shade, No Man in No Man's Land > Weekapaug Groove > Boogie On A Reggae Woman, Chalkdust Torture

E: Theme from the Bottom

* The Birds teases

anthrax

It wasn't fully dark when the show ended.  Can't recall a time when that has happened before.  Last time I saw a tour opener in oregon was a bit better because they played California  love.  Venue was sick. 

Gumbo72203

So the new songs are good, I like them.

Blaze On is a mix between Aiko Aiko and This Land Is Your Land.  And No Men in No Man's Land sounds exactly like Dancing In The Streets, haha.  Kinda funny.

I also really liked Shade.  I hope these stick.  They're simple and musically not-very-interesting, but Blaze On has the potential to become a huge funk vehicle.  I was just jonesing for Trey to start vamping out on a greasy '97 min7 chord + wah pedal vamp.  That would work so well. 

Also, the Mike's Song was REALLY fucking good.  Trey had some fantastic playing during that, really creative.  Ghost had a really cool theme for a while too.  Nothing I'll play again more than once or twice to remember it, but this bodes very well for the remainder of the tour.  Fishman and Trey need to get in sync more though, because many times in Ghost Fishman was building tension up to an obvious release/turn-around, and Trey just wasn't there, and then when Trey would build up to a release and turn-around, Fishman was not there with a cymbal hit or drum fill. 

lol Mutron on No Men.....    just play Dancing In The Streets!
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gumbo72203

Wow, the song lengths really belie the quality of this show.  This Weekapaug is fantastic.  I fell asleep at the end of Shade last night, so I didn't get to hear it until now.  Fuck yeah Trey.  He sounds in command of the fretboard and his melodies.  This is great.  Page has a slightly different organ sound too on this, I like it. 

That No Men In No Man's Land is going to be huge, though.  I love the jumpy groove.  Phish needs a new song like that. 

oO that jam out of the Weekapaug ending was really cool.  Nice. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

mehead

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 22, 2015, 08:36:46 AM

Blaze On is a mix between Aiko Aiko and This Land Is Your Land.  And No Men in No Man's Land sounds exactly like Dancing In The Streets, haha.  Kinda funny.

I also really liked Shade.  I hope these stick.  They're simple and musically not-very-interesting, but Blaze On has the potential to become a huge funk vehicle.  I was just jonesing for Trey to start vamping out on a greasy '97 min7 chord + wah pedal vamp.  That would work so well. 

Also, the Mike's Song was REALLY fucking good.  Trey had some fantastic playing during that, really creative.  Ghost had a really cool theme for a while too.  Nothing I'll play again more than once or twice to remember it, but this bodes very well for the remainder of the tour.  Fishman and Trey need to get in sync more though, because many times in Ghost Fishman was building tension up to an obvious release/turn-around, and Trey just wasn't there, and then when Trey would build up to a release and turn-around, Fishman was not there with a cymbal hit or drum fill. 

I heard Aiko Aiko as well as soon as Blaze On started
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

emay

Quote from: mehead on July 22, 2015, 09:46:07 AM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 22, 2015, 08:36:46 AM

I heard Aiko Aiko as well as soon as Blaze On started

phil

How was the webcast? I ended up not ordering it last night but I'm thinking I might tonight. Based on all the positive comments about the show in general, and combined with my schedule being pretty clear tomorrow, it seems like it might be a good night to have some beers and hit up couch tour
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

emay

Wolfmans jam isnt bad. Pretty standard for 3.0 though.
This ghost starts off nice.
Something about these recordings sounds off to me...

mehead

Quote from: phil on July 22, 2015, 10:31:14 AM
How was the webcast? I ended up not ordering it last night but I'm thinking I might tonight. Based on all the positive comments about the show in general, and combined with my schedule being pretty clear tomorrow, it seems like it might be a good night to have some beers and hit up couch tour

and you gotta love the early start time
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

emay

Yeah perfect webcast opportunity for east coasters.
I didnt get the official stream but it was solid for 85% of the show

mattstick

I was surprised it started so early, was glad it wrapped up before 1am EST.

Thought the show was fun, had a number of highlights for a tour opener.

Lifeboy

I'm surprised to hear that so many people liked this show. Apart from the new songs, which I think I like for the most part, this was not a good show at all IMO. First set was one of the most boring things I've ever heard/seen. Mike almost even sounded/looked like he didn't even care or want to be there (I'm sure that's not the case). That said, Trey sounded tight.

It was a tour opener, though. Just not a good one. I still think this our will be fantastic, and am fucking psyched for Austin and Dallad.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

emay

Friends in attendance said they heard the hour long soundcheck at their table for dinner and there were about 6 new songs (one was a MGB song) they sound checked so we are in for more debuts

sophist

Sample's a little rough around the edges.  Sand was fine.  555 was 555.  Rift was super tight imo.  I zoned out during HTTM and Devotion.  Blaze on is a catchy little neo-hippy sounding tune.  Another 4 minute tube.  Wolfman's was fine imo. 

Solid first set imo.  Not the best tour opener so far.  They sound good.  Just still ironing out the rust.  It's not like 2012, 2011, or 2009 where it was just fucking bad/painful. 

Trey sounds more fluid which is to be expected.  His timing seems to be coming back to him too (another thing I have noticed upon revisiting the FTW shows a few times since they went down). 

Page sounded good too.  I thought Fish had some rust to him, kinda dragging some in some of the tunes.  I couldn't really hear Mike at times on the LP SBD. 

onto set II >>>>>>>>>>>
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!