News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Anyone with experience with VPN's?

Started by Marmar, March 31, 2017, 10:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marmar

I'd like to set myself up on a VPN, but I'm not entirely sure how it all works....can anyone break it down for me like you're discussing it with a 3rd grader.....?
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Marmar on March 31, 2017, 10:33:26 AM
I'd like to set myself up on a VPN, but I'm not entirely sure how it all works....can anyone break it down for me like you're discussing it with a 3rd grader.....?

are you trying to set one up or join one?
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Marmar

that's just it....dunno which would be better given my situation....

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

jam>

I had to google search "VPN" but I'm also interest now.

Marmar

See....I'm running that hub now, and would just like an added layer of security. My main worries are as follows:

1) Will my DNS for the hub still work properly...
2) Will it negatively affect my Netflix/Hulu/Roku streaming...
3) How do I make use of it if/when it's set up?

emay

Funny I just read this, its pretty basic but gives a good intro
https://www.wired.com/2017/03/want-use-vpn-protect-privacy-start/

I have only used one for work and school

kellerb

1. As a third-grader, you will probably need to sit out of recess.

2. I don't have actual good advice

3. I use a VPN for work when I work from home (which is 4 days a week at least).  It allows me to connect to the internal work sites.  Intranet, i.e. Sharepoint, etc, report servers.  But certain external sites actually block it.  For instance, I have to invoice Comcast, and their site blocks me when I'm on VPN, but allows me when I'm not.  There are oddities.

4. I don't actually have good advice.

DoW

I've used one for the past couple of years. I use tunnel bear.  It's $50 for the year.
The reason I use it is I use MLB.tv and moving my IP address out of Boston allows me to watch the Red Sox. It also allowed me to watch any MLB national broadcasts on espn. For those, I need to pretend to be in another country.

It used to stop my torrents when I changed my location. I am sure I could have figured out a work around or forwarded ports. I just never looked into it as I changed my location back after the game.

There are free vpn services too, but they limit data. The paid services give you unlimited data.

I'm not really up in arms over this privacy issue for what i do on the internet. I just like to watch baseball and I cut cable tv years ago,
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

emay

emay

Marmar

Opera was sold to a chinese company....so umm...yeah...

emay

Quote from: Marmar on April 04, 2017, 06:26:30 PM
Opera was sold to a chinese company....so umm...yeah...

Good to know, theres some other suggestions in there like Mullvad which is based somewhere in Europe it looks like and also IPVanish, which looks like its in the US....just to name a few of the other options listed in the article.....

tet

Watch yourselves.  Most free VPNs sell your data too, and even some subscription ones do too.  Read the T&Cs and do your research before rushing to the latest fad... 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

Alawot

I could be misinterpreting what you're trying to do, but looks like you might want to set up a proper firewall and direct incoming hub traffic into a walled off subnet within your network.

I've only used VPN's in 3 ways:
1. Connect securely to work. (work running their own VPN service)
2. Using VPN to mask where I'm at when going to sites, such as the example above with MLB.
3. To create a private network with friends and family so we could easily and safely move files between each other. (requires set and hosting as well as account maint for each user)