Author Topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi discussion  (Read 1021 times)

Offline VDB

• In the Band
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi discussion
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 03:04:21 PM »
Itís a movie about burning down the past, giving the finger to tradition and going bravely into a scary and uncertain future. 

I donít see how any true Star Wars fan canít get with that

Hmm. But people seem to be giving Rian Johnson an *awful* lot of credit merely for, as you say, giving a giant finger to things that have been set into motion or expectations raised by the films that came before his. I just don't see the inherent virtue in doing that. Continuity and not blowing off storylines is kinda important in a series.

I'll have more to say when I get a long, spare moment.
there is no explanation
it's all inside your head

de gustibus non disputandum

Offline kellerb

• In the Band
  • YEMLESS
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 05:53:21 PM »
Also I kind of like the Hux guy now.  Last movie he was just like a random hitler guy, now he's a foil for Kylo whenever there's a tantrum, like a babysitter that gets shitty.  "Did you get him, Kylo? Is he dead yet?  Why are you mad, did your uncle force-finger you?"

Offline Hicks

• IKKULUS
  • Gamehendge
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 07:43:13 PM »
Itís a movie about burning down the past, giving the finger to tradition and going bravely into a scary and uncertain future. 

I donít see how any true Star Wars fan canít get with that

Hmm. But people seem to be giving Rian Johnson an *awful* lot of credit merely for, as you say, giving a giant finger to things that have been set into motion or expectations raised by the films that came before his. I just don't see the inherent virtue in doing that. Continuity and not blowing off storylines is kinda important in a series.

I'll have more to say when I get a long, spare moment.

Disagree, I applaud Johnson having the courage to push the saga in new directions instead of just offering up another rehash sequel. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Offline antelope19

• Gamehendge
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 07:50:18 PM »
Was anyone able to make out what the mosaic was at the bottom of the pool on Ahch-to?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Offline rowjimmy

• Head Ache
  • 'Paug Admin
  • In the OTHER Band
  • No Questions. Just Rawk
    • Row Knows
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 08:01:25 PM »
Was anyone able to make out what the mosaic was at the bottom of the pool on Ahch-to?

Light side/Dark side mumbo jumbo

Offline rowjimmy

• Head Ache
  • 'Paug Admin
  • In the OTHER Band
  • No Questions. Just Rawk
    • Row Knows
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2017, 12:41:54 PM »
Moved some stuff to keep this on track.

I think I'm gonna go for viewing #2 on 12/27.

I don't really have any questions or things that I missed and are concerning me this go-round so, at the moment it's strictly for a more relaxed viewing...

Except there is one thing:
Was Yoda a practical effect? Did they go back to puppet Yoda?

ETA:
Here's the answer!
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/film/2017-12-18/how-star-wars-the-last-jedi-brought-back-that-surprise-character/

Offline antelope19

• Gamehendge
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2017, 09:31:17 AM »
Well, I definitely missed this. Confirmed- rogue one set up plot line in last Jedi.

A laser-focused Star Wars fan pointed out the revelation: when Jyn Erso (Felicity Jones) is looking for the Death Star blueprints on the planet Scarif, she finds a file for hyperspace tracking. And just like that, we have an explanation for what became the bane of the Resistance in The Last Jedi.

Essentially, it was impossible for anyone to track a ship that jumped into hyperspace, but the Empire had been working on the technology years prior to The Last Jedi. It seems it lived on with the First Order and became a reality. Hereís Pablo Hidalgo, a Lucasfilm creative executive, responding to the Easter egg: ďAh-yup.Ē

Hidalgo also explained that hyperspace tracking came from the Tarkin Initiative, a secret Imperial think tank. ďUnsolicited pro tip,Ē he tweeted. ďIf something doesnít seem, on the surface, to move the plot forward, try looking at what it might be doing to character.Ē

Offline susep

• Gamehendge
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2017, 07:57:43 PM »
Saw it today w/ my Wife and son.  Pretty good overall, way better than Rogue One.  Laura Dern was an interesting surprise.  I still think of her as a paleo-botanist;). I liked the Luke scenes with Rey, the parallels with Buddhism are omnipresent, nothing new there however as a fan of Buddhist philosophy I love seeing it anywhere including formalistic films.  BB8 was entertaining as R2 and C3 have definitely taken a back seat.  The scene with Rey and Kylo was cool especially when "Ben" took out Snoke.  I also really liked the meditating Luke faux scene w/ Kylo.  It was entertaining to see him levitating during that sequence. 
I also liked how the script talked about the "masters of wars" when they were on Fantasy Island if you will.  Its also funny how they put in subliminal Christmas references with the lighting and Chewbacca's golden roasted bird snacks.  Loved the Millenium scene when Rey shows up and distracts the tie fighters as well. 

Offline antelope19

• Gamehendge
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2017, 10:28:10 PM »
I had to watch it again to clarify some stuff.  Lots of foreshadowing bits that seemed like tossed-off dialogue the first time through.

My brief review is STFU Neely, except for a couple points:

Floaty space Leia is weird to the point where I almost think they planned some reshoots that didn't happen. That scene also downplays Ackbar being there on the bridge and dying.

The middle bits of the movie could have been tightened up, in terms of the "disable their lightspeed tracking" subplot.  I expected Lando to show up instead of Benecio but this is the movie of "fuck off, coincidences"

-STFU Neely section------------

Snoke's death -  Who cares about some wrinkly perv that sits around and fucks with force noobs and pretends to be emperor.  I had to rewatch to confirm it was Ren and not Rey that spun that lightsaber and turned it on. I kind of thought the guards Rey&Ren fought in that scene were the "Knights of Ren" but I guess not.

All the Luke and Yoda jokes - Good stuff.  Clear that he picked up his teaching style from his teacher.  the Jay-Z Dirt-off-your-shoulder could have been executed better, but Luke was stalling and also baiting Ren so it was valid.

Thatís all fine and good, but I really donít think this is the last weíre going to hear about Snoke.