News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W20: 10-21-1995 Pershing Auditorium, Lincoln, NE

Started by birdman, September 24, 2006, 11:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman

Here it is y'all...week 20.
I've choosen a show near and dear to my heart. A top 3 attended for me.....Random day, random place. Was it as good as I remember?
http://www.sendspace.com/file/blk3tz
  Lossless to come soon
Enjoy![/b]
Paug FTMFW!

xanadux3

and shocked and persuaded my soul to ignite

susep

thelot

August

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

birdman

I wrote this in response to a question asked by Jedi regarding why I liked 10/21/95 so much...not quite a review but it sums up my feelings pretty well.

We drove fourteen hours to Lincoln Nebraska for this one show.We had a buddy living in Lincoln at the time and he happened to live 3 blocks from the venue, Near the big phallic building (state house?) It was homecoming weekend for the Cornhuskers and they won the game that day (big surprise), so the atmosphere was joyful and people were looking to get down. It was my first show since Sugarbush and my first exposure to the fall 95 sound. Add two hits of superclean blotter and you have all the ingredients for an EPIC night.
  Well,  the boys opened with Tweeprise for the first time ever and later closed the set with it. Talk about starting on an upbeat note...  Trey looked good with his short,Eric Clapton hairdoo and he was smiling his big shit eating grin. The meat of the set was fairly old school and raging. Chalkdust, Guelah, a BEAUTIFUL REBA, Wilson, my first KUNG (in response to the two girls running around with a HUGE Kung banner), and one hell of a smoking GTBT. Solid 1st set Typical for Fall 95..but remember this was the 1st experience I had with this massive amount of energy the boys were spewing so I was P.U.M.P.E.D for set 2.
Let it be known that I was a bad head and lost all my shit(physical shit, not mental) during break and had to send a sober friend to find it...he did. I was scolded justly. MMW was the setbreak serenade.
  So set two begins right where the first left off:
Also Sprach Zarathustra, David Bowie, Lifeboy, Sparkle, You Enjoy Myself, Purple Rain. Not best ever versions, but way above average ...Perma grin, eyes closed, spinning on the general admission floor in the midst of one of the best dance parties I have ever witnessed. I was lifting off
Remember...Fall 95 power behind all these tunes and then I got the hood...I thought I was out of juice but I was wrong. wham. I know those of you who have been to *that* place understand what I was going through...that entire loss of self, that oneness...it sounds corny when expessed like that, but thats how it was...absolutely perfect, pure bliss.  When it was over I was practically bawling like a baby. Orgasm to the thousandth degree. I vowed to never stop searching for that feeling as long as I live.
The suzy was sweet and the Highway to Hell Encore was so off the hook that I though I saw people levitating (literally, to this day I still cant comprehend what I saw) ,pounding their fists and whipping their necks like there was no tomorrow.
   Funny how an out of the way show that most have never heard is my 2nd favorite show of all time. But, thats what makes the Phish experience what it is.
    After the show we were sitting on my friends porch, enjoying a cool Nebraska fall eve. A girl who had just seen the boys for her first time was trying to put into words what she just witnessed. Finally she says" Its like, just when it cant get any more crazy, they are able to harness and create more energy." Aptly put. Phish dropped a (p)h-bomb on lincoln that night.
Paug FTMFW!

VA $l!m

thnks for reminding me that i'm in lincoln right now... :roll:

but seriously, people here still talk about this show like it was yesterday.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

birdman

Feels like only yesterday...can it really have been 11 years ago? :-o Fuck, Im getting old :frustrated:
Paug FTMFW!

August

Reprise-first time this appeared as an opener.sure it caught alot of people off guard.

Chalk-this is something you would expect to open a show.a real rippin' version.Trey's tone sounded nice.they also did the modulated ending, which they do when they close a set with this tune, which i found to be cool.

Guelah-Reba-Reba had a straightforward, 95 feel to it.played well and focused.no whistling but into>

Wilson>CTB>Kung-the band was doing their old school Wilson vocals with the crowd, which is pretty rare.segued nicely into>CTB.standard version, but good>Kung.really trippy version with Fish being quite active.i like when they throw this in the middle of nowhere.again, nice segue into>

Lizards-very well played.

Design-Army-standard 95 fare.

GXBX-nice black and white tease.you would figure they would close the set with it but>>>>>>
SUPER SMOOTH SEGUE>>>>>reprise!so good!

2001>Bowie-bowie jam was long, but not too different or stand-outish.the end was sick, though.i liked how they went to the end part once, then got real heavy and fast.the ending really made it for me.

LIfeboy-Sparkle-"anybody need anything while I'm up?"

YEM-really energetic for the entire composed part.Trey rox the mini-kit for the beginning of the jam, then joins in on the thick funk.

Purple Rain-kickdown.last was 12-30-94 and not again until Euro 96.

Hood-well played 95 version.again, you would think it would close the set, but no......

Suzy-some more "beat it" teases for the halloween ponderers.was that a "stairway" solo by Trey?this version is complete with another reprise ending (sort of).

Highway to Hell-only one on fall 95 tour.

i really enjoyed this show and would give it a solid
B+

a

sophist

I finished the 1st set last night.  Highlights: Reba, tweezprise opener, Good times bad times -> tweeze prise
The Reba was my favorite song of the set.  I really like how the boys build it up to a climax.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

susep

Go Big Red!  :-D  :mrgreen:

Tweeprize opener> people initially must have thought Tweezer? wtf is going on here?(Shapiro's Coventry FTA opener)>

Dust> nice collegiate song, hot off ALO's tail, Trey purposeful rythymic variations>ripping Trey, Stash-esque peaks> screaming/ascending into outro>nice version.

Guelah>3rd Nectar tune in a row perhaps inspired by Fall's brillant yellow and orange foliage and University presence.

Reba> more color> tight, fast break into jam.  Trey active from the outset>sounds similar to 31Dec.95 beginning>playful, quietness into trilling, slight Lowell vibe. Moments of dissonance, tick tocky tempo by Trey, release into Reba, Page wha-ing behind, subtle trippyness>Trey carving spaces, nice runs>page raging the keys.

Wilson> another ALO hit > cool, eerie section>

CTB> 1234,> nice Page work, he should have opened up his section more, dropping into free improv>

Kung> more 'ween refrences>Kung? asks Fish> bitch, he says>certainly a more entertaining version, voraciously altered>
trippy, Bohemian Grove version :) > into

Lizards> nice version.

Strange, tune??? :) major Beatles scene/clone

Acoustic Army> vaudeville section of the set> Indian sounding, dron-e in D?

GTBT> smokin'>Page on vocals lighting it up w/ ferocious bends by Trey w/ soaring Page, fiffage> head banging style>blues into '95 wash effect, jam morphing>return to theme>ascending builds, > nice segue back into the freezer.>
nice momentum/outro> "we'll be back in 15 minutes".

Caravan2001

Just heard this show for the first time- super sweet....I love the fact that there are still KILLER shows I have never heard, just when you thought you had heard 'em all...

Tweeprise- nice novelty opener
Chalkdust- solid, get's cooking
Guelah- a very good version...get's sloppy during ass festival, but that makes it kind of funky at the same time
Reba- SO tight....fast and mean, one of the best Reba's I've ever heard- definate 1st set highlight
Wilson- good choice after Reba and a well played version
CTB- solid
Kung- EXCEllENt version, great
Lizards- well played
Strange Design- actually a good version
Acoustic Army- again, great version
GTBT->Tweezer Reprise - another 1st set highlight- Is there a better segue out there? Butter smooth... This is just mental..Definition of Backdoor! SICK!

2001- real good for a '95 version and sweet transiition into:
Bowie- killer
Lifeboy and Sparkle are both well played, but not my ideal song choices after 2001->Bowie
YEM- again killer, and great vocal jam
Purple Rain- I skipped this track for whatever reason
Hood- another sweet version, really nice
Suzy- A nice way to end the set, I like the Tweezer riff at the end
Highway to Hell- pretty much always good to hear

I though this was all in all a great, great show.  thanks for turning me on to it, I can't wait to listent to it again.  Reba,GTBT segue and Bowie are the highlights for me...I'd give this an 8.5/10.....or 4 out of 5...or A-....whatever, I like it....

susep

2001> eerie Train sounds, spirits into 4/4, >

Bowie> Trey w/ effect, very trippy openings, slight ding, dong( 2nd. time reference I've heard from this show), atypical Trey, trill returns, interesting music here>nice variation by Trey.  Very un-Bowie like, Page very active> slight return, somewhat linear compared to preceeding jams> Trey ascending, looking to strike, unleashin dagger after dagger of piercing knives> shift, alarm into t/r variations> Fish drops down, Trey chording heavy into funk back into release>cool sustain/effect as used in the 31Oct.95 YEM when the funk got good>trippy outro, solid.

Lifeboy>

Sparkle> I'll take this over Lifeboy.

12, 1234> Trey sounding ahead of the game, nice beginning section>ff to jam>Trey rejoins at 9:20>Page all over it, video game-esque, Trey unleashing his fav. effect of '95>who said YEM wasn't a jam vehicle? :) >Trey playing well as usual, nice sustain, funky-ness, soul, attack, groove, synopocatiing w/ Fish>underneath swinging, Trey opts for cliche YEM rift>jam(Trey)turns dissonant, jam mellowing out, Mike taking over,

Purple Rain>

Beat it tease, into Hood, taunting the crowd>Heads 'R Us, more MJ, Trey showing his wizardry>another ALO staple, nice version.

Suzy>

HtoHell> nice rocker, on the way to the promised land...

Decent set, after the Bowie the set nose-dived, standard YEM(read solid), nice Encore.

Overall Fun show in a great period before the absolute peak of this tour segment in the 'ween YEM.

Grade: B

susep

I thought this show would make-up for previous declination :?