News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Live Phish - Live Phish downloads

Started by jephrey, December 05, 2006, 04:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jephrey

My thoughts...  rebuttals welcome.

IMO, Live Phish releases don't need their own pages.  For one, the setlist and notes are already on the detailed setlist page for that show, and the livephish stuff is also noted on the SBDs page.  They shouldn't be treated as albums, but like every other taped recording.  We don't do sources on the wiki because there's already a great place for that (etree) so we just link to the show.  Since etreee doesn't mention the LP stuff, we provide that link on the setlist details page.

For each individual song, I think it's pointless to mention that it's on a LP release.  Further down it shows every show it was played at, regardless of source.  So what it LP is an SBD.

A couple exceptions...  A Live One and Slip Stitch and Pass.  Just because they were released as albums, not LP.

After thinking about it a bit, I'd even take the LP reference off the "musical cosutme" album pages.

So I'd say that the LP stuff should be mentioned:  1, on the setlist details page for that show; 2, on the SBDs page.  Otherwise it's like any other source in the database.

Comments?

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Marmar

what about 12/31/95, and colorado 88?

Both were released as LivePhish......both as CD's and Downloads.......so J's points would hold true for thse and future releases of the same kinds......Like....Vegas 00, and Brooklyn......IT......
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

jephrey

And hampton comes alive...  They're just live shows.  Alternate sources of the same show if you will. 

Now there's a slight difference for Slip Stitch, A Live One, and Colorado 88 where in the show notes on the details page, it should list the songs that do, and say something like. 
*[[Song]], [[Song2]], and [[Song3]] appear on [[A Live One]].
or
*[[Song]], [[Song2]], and [[Song3]] Are fillers on [http://www.livephish.com LivePhish14]     -this would link to LivePhish14 at Livephish

Those 3 "albums" are either partial or contain parts of shows from more than one date.  For entire shows, that should be in the links at the bottom of the page where it says this show is available at LivePhish or whatever.

For the instances where there's a soundcheck or filler on LP...  I haven't tackled that yet.  Maybe a note (again on the details page).

Bottom line is that I think individual songs shouldn't reference anything but a studio release.

Maybe, in the list of times played, for an entry, in the notes for that entry, it should mention SS, Live1, C88, but not at the top.  The list defines where the song appears.  IMO.

I'm open to other ideas...  Gotta take into consideration all pages that might want to go there and why.

More explanation:
So there are 2 kinds of releases:
Entire shows
partials/combinations

If a release is an entire show, it only needs to be mentioned at the bottom of the setlist details page in the links section.

If a release is a partial/combination, on the details page, the songs that are on it should be mentioned in the notes.

IMO, live releases shouldn't need an internal page unless they're the partial/combo type because the details page already details the show and shows that it's on a LP release, but there should be a list that has them all in it.  The partial/combos, even though noted in the details page, should have an internal page because there may be more to say about the mix of stuff on the album.

I don't know.  More thoughts?

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

sophist

Quote from: Marmar on December 05, 2006, 05:40:05 PM
what about 12/31/95, and colorado 88?

Both were released as LivePhish......both as CD's and Downloads.......so J's points would hold true for thse and future releases of the same kinds......Like....Vegas 00, and Brooklyn......IT......
I thought NYE 95 was released via JEMP records which is a different label than what the LP's are being released. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

jedifunk

but col88 is not a single show, its a compilation
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

drvinestein

To list actual LP releases anywhere else would be redundant.

jephrey

right, so C88 is just in the notes along with A live One and Slip Stitch.  Since these all are unwhole shows, or compilations, they'll be treated as albums not shows and they'll get pages.

Thinking further, although it'd be redundant to list lp releases, since this site is everything phish, maybe they all should have pages and be very short but link to the Phish site.  Their notes would have to change slightly on the setlist detail page and say something like.  (fake web addys)

*This show is [[Live Phish#October 7, 2000|Live Phish #14]].
**http://www.phish.com/albumid=42
*This show is a downloads release ([[Live Phish#October 7, 2000]]).
**http://www.livephish.com/stashid=456

This would allow for a page for all albums no matter what, because a wiki should have everything right?  Maybe down the road, the wiki absorbs the phish portion of the etree database and emil's phish tabs as well, but they're both resources that we'll link to for now.

So IMO, all livephish should be on a single page.  A list that's by date and includes the disc number or name if it's a release (NYE95, IT, Hampton Comes Alive) and also notation if it's a download.  Links should also be provided on this page.

I'll do a bit now.

J

jephrey

How's this?

http://wikipaug.net/index.php/Live_Phish

Check our September 14, 2000 and October 7, 2000 to see how they're linked.

J

Marmar

any of the livephish releases in the future are JEMP......they are no longer contracted to Elektra.....

They are now on Rhino/JEMP......

"JEMP Records is a record label formed at the beginning of 2005 by the Phish Organization in Burlington, VT, specializing in archival releases from the defunct jamband Phish. The label's first release was a 3-CD recording of Phish's performance on December 31, 1995 at Madison Square Garden in New York, New York. The second JEMP Records title was a DVD entitled Phish: Live in Brooklyn, which was released on July 11th in conjunction with Rhino Entertainment (an accompanying soundtrack CD was also released). On October 31, Phish will released Colorado '88, a 3-CD complilation.

The label is a division of Rhino Entertainment, which like the band's former label Elektra Records, is owned by Warner Music Group.

J.E.M.P. is an acronym for the first names of the members of Phish: Jon, Ernest, Mike, and Page."

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.