News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

All Things ViDEO GAMES

Started by VA $l!m, March 12, 2007, 04:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tet

nice, how is Winning Eleven?  i downloaded the demo and it's too short for me to tell.  i can never score in soccer games anyway, lol...  i just hate how EA has killed their franchise, with specific tournament games that cut out a majority of the teams/countries.  hell, you can't even be a US team in their FIFA '07 game.  ludicrous.

i know that Winning Eleven was tops on other platforms for years, but i'm a bit concerned about the lack of options that some are griping about - like that you can't make custom players or teams, or rename the players to their real names.  i'm more into simulation sports than the whole arcade style of play, so details like that have always been a sticking point for me.  that's why i hate the Madden franchise so much...  i cannot wait until 2k is allowed to take the NFL license back!

"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jedifunk

well, here's the story with winning xi....

as far as game play (which in my mind is the most important) its tops without a doubt...

i was a FIFA guy since 95, and did originally get FIFA 07 for my 360, but the disc had an issue and instead of getting it again, i got winning xi...

it plays like a real football match.  the flow, passing, movement of the players is much more in line with actual life play... the graphics arent as pretty, but they look great in HD!

EA is all about official licensing... which is great.  but their game play lacks a bit in pacing and movement IMO.. and the AI isnt as intelligent, but it was still a good game.

as much as its annoying to be missing teams, or have the teams not named properly, but in the end, its playing the game thats what you buy it for and winning xi is definitely tops!
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

tet

cool.

i must say, gaming in HD is truly awesome.  one of the main reasons i got an HDTV last year, in fact. 

i can only imagine how sick GRAW2 will look...  cause i will tell you this, Gears of War blew my mind.  if you haven't picked that up yet, do it.  do it now. 
-Phish

thechad

The 360 is awesome and with a HD TY it is definitely the tits, and as far as gaming goes it most certainly owns the PS3, but i got a PS3 for the blu-ray option, and I am in no way disappointed that I paid $400 less than I would to buy a strait-up blu-ray and in a short period of time will have the the most kick-ass gaming system on the market, makes it worth it IMO and I can't wait for the new FF!!
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

VA $l!m

Quote from: jedifunk on March 12, 2007, 08:38:06 PM
lol... i just spent most of my day setting up my new HDTV for play with my 360...

man, 360 on HD is SICK!!!  i have only tried Winning XI on the TV thus far, but i've got a new GRAW2 in my bag that i just havent unwrapped yet... i was waiting for you slim!

thats funny that you looked at selling your PS2... i just did that last week to pay for GRAW2 (which you get an extra 20% off if you trade stuff in to buy it)..

i got $80 for an original day 1 release ps2 with the network adapter, 2 controllers, mem card, and 6 games, most of them old...

come on over to the 360... guarantee you wont be disappointed...

i'm on the way!!

i've been watching youtube vids of rainbow6 and graw2 all day... i can't take it anymore!

gonna go say goodbyr to my socom friends now!

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

jedifunk

werd!

welcome to the club!

my gamertag is "jedis junk"

i was pissed that jedifunk was taken... i totally thought i invented that term and was the only one in exsistence using it...  you can imagine my shock & dispair!
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

Is Wii any good?  I just got a BIG tax return.  I mentioned it to the wife and she may be down.  I'm not a gamer at all, but used to like stuff like rpgs, tetris, warcraft, pacman, breakout, circus atari, midnight madness, pinball, and stuff like that.  I think the Wii may be cool to get into some different stuff.  I despise shoot em up games.

BTW, I just want to know about the Wii, I will not get a PS3 or Xbox. 

Rock on.

J

ps.  Maybe I'll wait until you can play games on appleTV.  The remote doubles as a controller maybe?
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

VA $l!m

Quote from: jedifunk on March 13, 2007, 08:50:09 PM
werd!

welcome to the club!

my gamertag is "jedis junk"

i was pissed that jedifunk was taken... i totally thought i invented that term and was the only one in exsistence using it...  you can imagine my shock & dispair!

yeah, i played with the GD!(grateful dawgs) clan on socom tonite, and half of them said they were already on GRAW2...

i'm stressed about the name thing too, since you have one name for all games... ya know a name that sounds dope in a shooter, might sound lame when playing madden or somethin!

my old tag--Deacon works for both, but i heard you cant use the letter A or some shit, plus its probably already taken, plus i wanted to go with a Grateful Dead/Phish name so i could link up with Heads easier.

my 'head' name might be -- DireWOLF. -- great for a shooter like GRAW, but not so great for say NBA STREET...   :roll:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

jedifunk

jeph - in regards to the WII... i say its the best console for a casual gamer... especially if the wife is partially interested...

the way the system works they've made a lot of fun "party" games that take advantage of the remote.

i have a buddy just like you... casual gamer with a semi interested wife.  they got the wii and just love it... they have wii parties and have people over to play the games

its so interactive that it makes it very fun
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jedifunk

slim-

did you get your 360 yet?  i just opened up GRAW2 last night to play around with the single player... and hot damn if it doesnt look amazing on my new TV!

i did notice while playing winning xi that sometimes my TV would get slightly blurry, especially on long passes... i think it has to do with the response time of the video card... they say that under 12ms is optimal for playing games, and my TV rates at 8ms, but still noticed the blurring... thats a bit disappointing, but i knew going in that i wasnt buying the top of the line model :|

as for GRAW, didnt notice anythign like that... but it could jsut be the difference in game types.

let me know when you've gotten on, and we'll play some GRAW!  i need a good reason to finally fork over the $50 for a Live subscription
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

tet

jedi, add me to your friends list:  "stank kind"   :mrgreen:

i always, ALWAYS, get someone asking why i'm "stank kid" and if i don't shower...  lmao...  some people just don't know how to read (or have really shitty TVs).  of course the few people who do understand what stank kind is do appreciate it and ask if i have any, hahaha

there are quite a few heads around... some of my best friends have 360 too, they use "roggae" and "multibeast", so there are plenty of us out there with names that don't necessarily work across all games, but they do get recognized every so often. 

so have you played Gears yet??  i strongly suggest it...  i'm not a huge GRAW fan in general, but maybe i'll pick that up if i find a good price.  it's a bit too realistic, with getting killed on a single shot every time.  not my style of shooter, personally, but i'm sure it's a sick game.

oh, and for the wife...  there is UNO on the Xbox Live marketplace, haha.  it's actually fun to play after a night of drinking, especially if you have the camera (which i don't).
-Phish

OctopusRider

Anybody here into Star Wars games?

tet

Quote from: OctopusRider on March 14, 2007, 11:53:10 AM
Anybody here into Star Wars games?
yup, i loved the Jedi Knight series, and Knight of the Old Republic is pretty kickass too.  fighting with a lightsaber in a game and having force powers is so much fun!!  i also got hooked on the lego star wars games, those are awesome as well. 
-Phish

OctopusRider

Quote from: tet on March 14, 2007, 12:13:07 PM
yup, i loved the Jedi Knight series, and Knight of the Old Republic is pretty kickass too.  fighting with a lightsaber in a game and having force powers is so much fun!!  i also got hooked on the lego star wars games, those are awesome as well. 

I use to play jedi knight II on pc a lot. It was before I knew to play on line though. That's one of my all time Star Wars favs. I still play Battlefront II occasionally on line but the BF games seem to be flooded with kids. You ever play BF or BFII?

I've played just about every Star Wars game to come out since the original arcades except for the other ones that you mentioned and a few other more recent ones. I've been hung up on the BFs for the past few years. Maybe I should check out the lego games. They look kinda cool.

jedifunk

huge starwars fan here, so i've played as many as i've had consoles for... i played the jedi knight series on the mac, and played battlefront 1...

excited about this new game coming out for 360 & ps3 where you are darth vaders secret apprentice and you go around hunting down jedi... sounds pretty kick ass to me!

tet, next time i'm on, i'll add you... i still need to get my live gold...
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio