News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

All Things ViDEO GAMES

Started by VA $l!m, March 12, 2007, 04:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tet

fired up Fallout 4 for the first time in a while yesterday, really missed that game.  never finished the main storyline because i can't choose a faction, but it's so fun to explore and enjoy.  i'm still not sure why there was so much hate from the diehards about it; the 'easier' rpg & dialog elements made for an enjoyable game for a wider audience, and the addition of mods on console is just amazing.  i can't wait to actually finish the story so i can start to play around with them (don't want to miss out on achievements!)
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

VA $l!m

Quote from: tet on January 02, 2018, 11:27:01 AM
fired up Fallout 4 for the first time in a while yesterday, really missed that game.  never finished the main storyline because i can't choose a faction, but it's so fun to explore and enjoy.  i'm still not sure why there was so much hate from the diehards about it; the 'easier' rpg & dialog elements made for an enjoyable game for a wider audience, and the addition of mods on console is just amazing.  i can't wait to actually finish the story so i can start to play around with them (don't want to miss out on achievements!)
i really like Fallout 4.
just redownloaded it and hopefully will get motivated to progress some this time.
i actually really liked alot of the stuff they added in this one like the perks, crafting, companions,  and settlements.
i think the only thing that i didnt really dig was how they made power armor so integral. it seemed really necessary at times when i prefer to play more stealthy and quick with lighter armor.
though to be fair i never really got far enough in the game to make a completely informed opinion on the matter.

PS-- anyone that has a ps4 and ps+ make sure you grab the free game this month and add it to your library. DEUS EX HUMAN REVOULTION - another great SP game i need to get back into...
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

VA $l!m

WillBreathes

While it is not a complete game yet, I have played PlayerUnknown BattleGrounds on xbox more than any other game in years past.  So addicting.
tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither

gainesvillegreen

Been hitting the racing sims hard since Christmas. They are such beautiful games to admire in presentation and execution, I know they are niche, but what an awesome niche.

Forza 7: likely the best in terms of pound for pound graphical power. The cars are rendered beautifully, all 700 of them, and a great list of tracks, some of which can't be found in other games. Of all the sims I own, this is the most arcade-like, the most forgiving, and the most welcoming for a "Sunday" racer. However, there is a grind to the progression - having to earn credits to buy cars - which after about 40 levels feels too grindy. Also, I have absolutely no desire to turn off any assists in this game, and it doesn't really prompt me too. In the end, a beautiful looking game (it is native 4K, the only one on the market for console as far as I know), but once the career mode is over, I'm not sure I'll play this very much.

Gran Turismo Sport: without a doubt the best in visually representing the car in question, has something to do with their lighting model which is extremely easy on the eye both on the cars and on the landscape, and is missed when you are racing other sims. Very light out of the gate though, especially in terms of tracks, but the progression through career (just added 8-10 weeks after launch) and unlocking tracks is reasonable. However, you have to grind for credits to get to cars, which is ridiculous. Sure, they gift you some along the way, but for a $60 game, with only about 17 unique track locations, to not be able to pick any car and drive on any track at any time seems excessive. Takes some time to get a handle on the physics, but falls somewhere on the hard core sim/arcade line. Recommended.

Project Cars 2: Extremely difficult. But, extremely rewarding, moreso than the other games. Also, has the best track listing of any sim on console. Graphics are an A-, but when the other two above are easily A+, this isn't really an issue. Extremely deep career mode, probably my favorite of any of these, but you can also race whatever whenever you want - which is the way things should be, when you are paying a AAA price. Extremely detailed at the set up/tuning level, which in turn means it takes triple or more of the time (and patience) required to come to terms with the physics than anything else I've played. But, once it clicks, it provides the best feeling of satisfaction of any of these. And, it will also make you a better sim driver, which you can take to the other games. Forza, GT...you can be an expert at either of those, and fail miserably in the Project Cars 2 environment. You have to REALLY want it to make this game work. But, I do, so that's fine.

Assetto Corsa: An older sim (2014-2015), produced by a smaller team, but in terms of holding a controller in your hand and getting a car around the track, it has the best physics of any of these games. Adjustments are felt immediately, the force feedback is (at least via a controller) the best on console. Also has a few tracks, particularly in Italy where the game is developed, which can't be found anywhere else. Car list not quite as extensive out of the box, but plenty of DLC for reasonable prices brings the car count right up with the others. Also has the best AI to race against. This game, while not as visually stunning as the three above, is where I would recommend anyone who wants to begin to learn this type of game to begin. Has a decent enough career mode (really, any career mode which teaches you how to race the cars in the game is more than sufficient, which this one does), and the online community is the most knowledgeable that I've found.

I hate car culture, and can't be bothered to watch a race of any stripe on any weekend. But I've been playing all four of these to the exclusion of everything else, and don't see that changing for the foreseeable future Even other sports games, don't given the satisfaction of achievement these games do. I can't recommend them highly enough. It would be amazing to take the best 2-3 attributes of each and meld them into one ultimate racing sim game, that'd be awesome.

Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

VA $l!m

VA $l!m

Finally got 1st 100 kill game in Battlefront !  102-3 .  Mostly Bossk on Kamino.

VA $l!m

So i've had some monster games with Bossk over the last few days, but this match was one of the most insane multiplayer games i ever played.
The whole battle is awesome, but the last 2minutes are some of the most intense shit you'll ever see!
PS_ check out the voice interaction from Vader at the beginning of the clip- "you can be replaced, bounty hunter..." lol.

rowjimmy

Damn, dude.

I wish I could begin to play at that level.

birdman

Anybody else playing fortnight? Holy shit is this game addicting
Paug FTMFW!

Bobafett

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 25, 2018, 08:21:27 AM
Damn, dude.

I wish I could begin to play at that level.

I'll never be there!
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

VA $l!m

Well my entire friends list has been taken over by Monster Hunter World this week, lol.
Probably the biggest release of the first part of the year since Red dead Redemtion 2 still doesnt have a date.
i never played the old games but tried the beta.
didn't make a huge impression but every1 keeps telling me the game is amazeballs so im thinking of picking it up if i can swing the cash.

emay

Quote from: VA $l!m on January 28, 2018, 10:53:29 PM
Well my entire friends list has been taken over by Monster Hunter World this week, lol.
Probably the biggest release of the first part of the year since Red dead Redemtion 2 still doesnt have a date.
i never played the old games but tried the beta.
didn't make a huge impression but every1 keeps telling me the game is amazeballs so im thinking of picking it up if i can swing the cash.

Yeah a couple my friends been talking about that after they pre ordered - the screenshots and trailer look awesome.
Probably will be a while before I get to play it, still have Horizon Zero Dawn to start up.

VA $l!m

picked up Monster Hunter World. Pretty Amazing game. Definitely recommend it.

ps- theres been a ton of Battlefront news over the last month. Big additions and changes in teh near future.
the entire progression system getting reworked stalled the shceduled free content a bit, but both the new progression and next season should be in MArch.
Best guess for next content is Clone Wars with heroes like Grevious and Ob1, but noone can confirm anything specific just yet. should know soon.
Besides all that there should be a steady stream of additions like a new MP mode next week - jumptrooper CTF. also new arcade stuff on the way.
Probably the most exciting news was a 99% confirmation from the lead Dev on twitter that they are going to add a Large Scale Conquest type mode.
This has personally been my biggest request to add a large mode that wasnt linear objective based but more typical open control point focused.

rowjimmy

I followed most of that and I'm into any new content, honestly. I still basically suck but I love hacking away at it.

Tell me more about this:
QuoteProbably the most exciting news was a 99% confirmation from the lead Dev on twitter that they are going to add a Large Scale Conquest type mode.
This has personally been my biggest request to add a large mode that wasnt linear objective based but more typical open control point focused.