News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The Road to November

Started by bluecaravan521, January 14, 2008, 10:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

I would agree if we had not done everything in our power in the last 6 years to prove the terrorists "right".

Still, our leaders talk about bombing Pakistan, Syria, Iran instead of providing them with much needed stability, infrastructure and support. 

We've decimated our actual resources globally in the recent past trying to prove how much better we are than everyone... and now the entire world is paying the price.  I'm not sure how much of this deflation of the global economic bubble is actual, and how much of it is theoretical... but our lack of foresight and warning and serious attention paid to our financial instability by all in the past couple of years is nauseatingly frightening and for me, infinitely concerning. 

Spreading democracy globally is supposed to provide us all with our own personal edens in which we provide each other with goods, services, shelter, warm feelings and fun despite the hardships inherent in a survival marked by the spectre of imminent death... the fact that we have lost sight of this all to important goal that should be the basis (and not in opposition) of all of our actions locally, nationally and globally is counter-productive, irrational and in a few words, simply not-fun.

While you say "better late than never", I really hope that people don't forget their frustrations and assume that all of our trials, tribulations and battles are behind us.  We have a shit-ton of work to do to re-earn each others respect, and to provide those awesome services to each other and others across the globe that have made us all so proud to be who we are.

To say I've been dissapointed with the tonality of our communities (large and small) lately and in the past, is definitely an understatement.

gah

Obama is right on time. He would not have been elected 4 or 8 years ago. McCain on the other hand, missed his chance, I think this country would be in a different place if it had been him 8 years ago instead. Then again, maybe that wouldn't have created the opportunity it did for Obama this time around, so who cares? The fact that Bush is has a worse approval rating than Nixon after his resignation just goes to show you how he will go down in history as, previously stated, the worse president. Ever.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

fauxpaxfauxreal

I'm still waiting for my "Don't Blame Me, I voted for Gore, demanded a recount, told President Bush to kiss my ass, supported Dean, voted for Kerry while protesting the war and demanding economic stabilization" bumper sticker....

gah

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on November 13, 2008, 04:37:57 PM

I would agree if we had not done everything in our power in the last 6 years to prove the terrorists "right".

Still, our leaders talk about bombing Pakistan, Syria, Iran instead of providing them with much needed stability, infrastructure and support. 

We've decimated our actual resources globally in the recent past trying to prove how much better we are than everyone... and now the entire world is paying the price.  I'm not sure how much of this deflation of the global economic bubble is actual, and how much of it is theoretical... but our lack of foresight and warning and serious attention paid to our financial instability by all in the past couple of years is nauseatingly frightening and for me, infinitely concerning. 

Spreading democracy globally is supposed to provide us all with our own personal edens in which we provide each other with goods, services, shelter, warm feelings and fun despite the hardships inherent in a survival marked by the spectre of imminent death... the fact that we have lost sight of this all to important goal that should be the basis (and not in opposition) of all of our actions locally, nationally and globally is counter-productive, irrational and in a few words, simply not-fun.

While you say "better late than never", I really hope that people don't forget their frustrations and assume that all of our trials, tribulations and battles are behind us.  We have a shit-ton of work to do to re-earn each others respect, and to provide those awesome services to each other and others across the globe that have made us all so proud to be who we are.

To say I've been dissapointed with the tonality of our communities (large and small) lately and in the past, is definitely an understatement.

Paragraph 2) I believe you mean our REPUBLICAN leaders....

I don't necessarily it was a 'proving how much better we are than everyone' that has caused the problems, it's not being self aware enough to realize that everyone else is stepping up their game and if we want to compete we need to adjust our way of thinking.

Also, spreading democracy isn't always the answer, especially in states where religious law is more important. there are other forms of government, and other forms that have been successful, and we need to respect that. Or you get a situation like in the middle east, where we assist in developing democracy and you end up with a radical islamic movement (hamas) winning the majority in the palistinian government?!

I think most people realize the work is just beginning, but at least we have an incoming leader that is ready to roll up his sleeves and get that work done.

rowjimmy

"Spreading democracy" is a bullshit term to cover our violent imperialism.

Democracy finds its own way in the dark. All we need to do is spread humanism no matter what form of government is in place.

Declan

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 13, 2008, 10:01:49 PM

Democracy finds its own way in the dark. All we need to do is spread humanism no matter what form of government is in place.

*Rings Liberty Bell
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

sophist

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on November 13, 2008, 04:16:26 PM
Quote from: Sophist on November 13, 2008, 04:06:57 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on November 13, 2008, 03:51:36 PM
Quote from: Guyute on November 10, 2008, 08:38:47 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on November 10, 2008, 02:16:47 PM
QuoteWith 71 days left in office, President Bush is less popular than President Nixon was at the time of his resignation, according to data released Monday by CNN and Opinion Research Corporation.

The new poll, taken Thursday through Sunday, showed an approval rating of 24 percent and a disapproval rating of 76 percent.

Worst.

President.

EVER!

WERD

...and all of us, the American public, allowed him to serve in our nation's highest office for 8 years.

Who are the idiots?  Us or him?

Nice false dichotomy.   

So, does that mean you don't feel that "We The People" should be held accountable when our pick for the President turns out to be a bumbling fool... and then we turn around and re-elect him?

Since the Office of the Chief Executive is a reflection of us as a nation, I do not think that 8 years of Gee-Dubs should make any of us very proud of what we have accomplished.

Unless the false dichotomy that you speak of is me seperating him from us, and that we are all idiots, and then I would have to say "touche, my good friend!".
No.  The false dichotomy is that you present it as a two option choice (one or the other), and that isn't reality.  Bush lost the popular vote in 2000.  This translates to some Americans, not all.  When less than 50% of the country does something, it isn't the fault of the whole country.  This would be like blaming the North for the Jim Crow laws, essentially your committing a logical fallacy: the fallacy of composition. 

Further, accountability is an individual responsibility, as you can't have a group without individuals. 

I don't blame the 2000 voters either, how could they possibly know how bad he would be?  The signs weren't there, but 2004 is a different story.  Even then, they're some of us who rejected him, does that make us better or smarter? no.  It just means that we held a belief in a different system, a system we thought was better for the country. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

gah

Quote from: Declan on November 13, 2008, 10:27:31 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 13, 2008, 10:01:49 PM

*Rings Liberty Bell

:clap: