News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Music Editing Software

Started by redrum, March 28, 2008, 02:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redrum

can you guys share what programs you use to edit or transfer dats?

thanks.

Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

mattstick

rowjimmy

Quote from: mattstick on March 28, 2008, 07:21:04 AM

Wavelab

yep.
Wavelab for the xfer, resample, dither (where necessary) and fades.
CDWave for tracking & Flac'ing.

mattstick

Marmar at one point dropped some knowledge about how to set-up Wavelab to cut tracks on sector boundaries, thereby eliminating the need for CD-WAV.

rowjimmy

I've seen that in a few places but I've found the workflow from one to the other to be so simple... I never wanted to change; especially once  CDWave added FLAC conversion.

Marmar

Hi Guys....

Yeah...Wavelab....'tis the way to go. That is if yer on a windoze box.....

Once you set wavelab up correctly, whenever you drop a CD marker it will always fall on a sector boundary.....then when you use the Auto Split feature (splitting on the track markers) you will end up with SBE free tracks placed neatly into a folder ready for compressing, properly named (if you remembered to label the markers!)......one stop wave chop ;)

If you need a hand setting that up redrum, lemme know and I'll walk ya thru the setup.
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

jasonsobel

I've recently made the switch from WaveLab to Samplitude, and I dig it.  It's got a similar workflow as the WaveLab montage feature, but it allow syou to work with files greater than 2 GB (which I think WaveLab 6 also allows, but I was using WaveLab 5), which is great for the working with 24 bit stuff.  so I know use that for just about everything, including tracking (with everything aligned on sector boundaries).  and the SE version is only $50, so its very reasonably priced.

however, for resampling, the best that I've found is r8brain.  and there's a free version as well.  it takes longer to process, but I think it definitely sounds better than WaveLab's resampling algorithm.
sing me back home before I die

rowjimmy

I have been thinking of trying r8brain next time I do an xfer...

redrum

Quote from: Marmar on March 28, 2008, 09:10:42 PM
If you need a hand setting that up redrum, lemme know and I'll walk ya thru the setup.

+K and thanks guys.

but is it mac friendly?

i quickly searched it when i had some time the other day and remember thinking it was just for PCs.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

Marmar

wavelab is not mac friendly....Nuendo, and Cubase are.....but those aren't really geared for what you want to use it for.....

I'm far out of the loop on Mac's, but you *should* be able to run this on a mac: http://www.ardour.org/

Look into it...it's a pretty powerful piece of software I've been kicking around on a friends linux box.....it's solid.....kinda clunky compared to wavelab, but it seems like it's got everything including the kitchen sink.....

r8brain is MUCH better than the internal resampling routine in wavelab 5.....the routines in wl6 kick arse....I do like the fact that r8brain is a little bit more flexible.....I try not to use software resampling whenever I can....hardware always has and always will do a better job at that....

and yes...they did fix the 2GB file barrier in wavelab 6.....they absolutely had to....pro's who bought it for authoring/mastering DVD-A's were bitching BIG TIME.

Wavelab 5 and 6 can both handle FLAC flies if you grab the plugin for it.....plus I like the fact it can deal with WavPack files too....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

mattstick

Put aside a nice 15GB partition for Wavelab and a couple other audio apps in Bootcamp.

rowjimmy

Reaper is coming out for mac this year...