News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

iPhone Thread

Started by mattstick, July 10, 2008, 04:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

The moment Apple puts out a product that doesn't meet or exceed expectations, I'll be the first to criticize it.

rowjimmy

John Oliver from the Daily Show is at the Verizon event and pre-show he's apparently yelling,  "F&*k yeah! Oh God, thank you" at the top of his lungs.

rowjimmy

snippets and details:

testing verizon iphone for the past year

available early february (Feb 10)

CDMA

rowjimmy

$199 for 16gb, $299 for 32gb
will act as a 3g wifi hotspot for up to 5 devices!

Take THAT at&t.

antelope19

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 11, 2011, 11:19:23 AM
$199 for 16gb, $299 for 32gb

Take THAT at&t.

:-o

That's pretty awesome.  Can't wait to get one!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mattstick

How would you guys use this?  I was trying to think of a practical application, and really couldn't come up with anything.

aphineday

Quote from: mattstick on January 11, 2011, 01:20:25 PM

How would you guys use this?  I was trying to think of a practical application, and really couldn't come up with anything.
I, for one will use the shit out of that. There are many times on the road that I need to type an email, etc. The iPad works, but having the capability to fire up the MBP where there is no wifi? Um, YES!
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

kellerb

I'm pretty sure verizon will charge extra for this, they do for their current phones that can do tethering.

VDB

Quote from: kellerb on January 11, 2011, 06:30:23 PM

I'm pretty sure verizon will charge extra for this, they do for their current phones that can do tethering.

I assume this will be the case. You can presently tether your iPhone on AT&T for some obscene extra charge, and you are still bound to the data limit on whichever plan you have. Bollocks.

Or, you could jailbreak your iPhone and get an app like MiWi that turns your phone into a WiFi router. If you still have the old unlimited data plan you don't have to worry about your usage. The MiWi app is a little pricey at $20 but it pays for itself after one month of usage vs. carrier tethering options. I have not yet downloaded it myself but I've used other JB tethering schemes to get my laptop online and it's a great trick to have in the arsenal.
Is this still Wombat?

justjezmund

Quote from: antelope19 on January 08, 2011, 11:25:04 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on January 08, 2011, 11:21:45 AM
Can I get a Fuck Yeah?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704739504576068170230339348.html

The iPhone is finally coming to Verizon Wireless.
The largest U.S. wireless carrier will make the long-awaited announcement at an event Tuesday in New York City, a person familiar with the matter said Friday.

FUCK YEAH!

yawn....still getting a droid.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

antelope19

Quote from: JustJezmund on January 12, 2011, 05:19:04 PM
Can I get a Fuck Yeah?

The largest U.S. wireless carrier will make the long-awaited announcement at an event Tuesday in New York City, a person familiar with the matter said Friday.

FUCK YEAH!

Can I ask why?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

justjezmund

Quote from: antelope19 on January 13, 2011, 02:27:24 PM
Quote from: JustJezmund on January 12, 2011, 05:19:04 PM
Can I get a Fuck Yeah?

FUCK YEAH!

Can I ask why?

all the apps i want can still be got on the droid, with the exception of LP.  HDMI port, faster processors, the ability to play lossless audio.  Just to name a few.  Thats just how i feel.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

UncleEbinezer

Don't sleep on the Droid, they are gaining ground quickly and my guess will ultimatly beat Apple.  Apple is very hardware specific, whereas Google is leaving it up the industry to do what is best and then they write the software.  I personally think Apple's days are numbered.  I mean they have a LOT of days left, but I suspect Google will end up crushing Apple and Microsoft in the long term.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

mattstick

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on January 13, 2011, 02:47:40 PM
Don't sleep on the Droid, they are gaining ground quickly and my guess will ultimatly beat Apple.  Apple is very hardware specific, whereas Google is leaving it up the industry to do what is best and then they write the software.  I personally think Apple's days are numbered.  I mean they have a LOT of days left, but I suspect Google will end up crushing Apple and Microsoft in the long term.

Google is already running out of steam in some people's eyes.  If you don't see the advantage of one company building the hardware and creating the software, you're missing the point.

Also, the fact that there is 1 OS for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad vs. however many versions of the Android OS are going right now is a key for developers, and will become an issue moving forward.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: mattstick on January 13, 2011, 03:37:59 PM
Quote from: UncleEbinezer on January 13, 2011, 02:47:40 PM

Google is already running out of steam in some people's eyes.  If you don't see the advantage of one company building the hardware and creating the software, you're missing the point.

Also, the fact that there is 1 OS for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad vs. however many versions of the Android OS are going right now is a key for developers, and will become an issue moving forward.

No doubt!  Both models have advantages and disadvantages for sure.  And I see the benefit of the hardware/software integration that Apple provides, but on the other hand it does limit their ability to bring new hardware features to market quickly. 

I think Droid is making more headway in the business space lately. 

I am very interested in watching how this pans out. 
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D