News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

iPhone Thread

Started by mattstick, July 10, 2008, 04:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

Quote from: tet on July 25, 2011, 04:18:04 PM
UncleEbinezer is correct - you can do it via bluetooth.  My car happens to support that, so I can actually just connect via bluetooth and hit play on the iPhone as I normally do and it automagically comes out of my car's speakers.  probably kills the battery so I usually use a USB dongle instead, but the iPhone supports it natively (probably since iOS 4, if not 3 or even earlier) - just depends on your car's radio I suppose.

Interesting.  I was thinking that since it's possible to play your ipod through the radio with one of those adapters, the iphone would(should?) be able to do it.  But the bluetooth thing makes sense.

Oh, and automagically, LOL   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

kellerb

Quote from: antelope19 on July 25, 2011, 04:57:04 PM
UncleEbinezer is correct - you can do it via bluetooth.  My car happens to support that, so I can actually just connect via bluetooth and hit play on the iPhone as I normally do and it automagically comes out of my car's speakers.  probably kills the battery so I usually use a USB dongle instead, but the iPhone supports it natively (probably since iOS 4, if not 3 or even earlier) - just depends on your car's radio I suppose.

Interesting.  I was thinking that since it's possible to play your ipod through the radio with one of those adapters, the iphone would(should?) be able to do it.  But the bluetooth thing makes sense.

Those adapters have an FM transmitter, which is how it plays through your radio.  As far as I know, iphones (and all other phones) don't have the capability to transmit FM.  That would be super-handy for all of us with older stereos, although it would probably be a bigger battery-drain than bluetooth.  I believe there are some FM transmitters that also bluetooth-pair with your phone, so you can accomplish this wirelessly regardless of your stereo. 

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: kellerb on July 25, 2011, 06:54:41 PM
Quote from: antelope19 on July 25, 2011, 04:57:04 PM

Those adapters have an FM transmitter, which is how it plays through your radio.  As far as I know, iphones (and all other phones) don't have the capability to transmit FM.  That would be super-handy for all of us with older stereos, although it would probably be a bigger battery-drain than bluetooth.  I believe there are some FM transmitters that also bluetooth-pair with your phone, so you can accomplish this wirelessly regardless of your stereo.

I'm sure that adapter you mention exists.  Just seems silly to wirelessly (bluetooth) connect to a device to then again wirelessly (fm) transmit.  I'd go with the old school wired version here and remove a variable.  Less variables means an easier work day (I'm an IT guy like many of you).
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

mattstick

What people here are saying is, there is not an app for that.

antelope19

Looks like turntable.fm just released an app.

zimbra

Is there a date for the new iPhone 5 release?  My iPhone quit on me a few weeks ago and I'm just waiting to use my upgrade for when it comes out. 

(My iPhone is 2 years old and is no longer under warranty.)
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

postjack

no official date, though an early October release is widely rumored from multiple sources.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

zimbra

Quote from: postjack on September 15, 2011, 08:23:25 PM
no official date, though an early October release is widely rumored from multiple sources.

Thanks!
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

alcoholandcoffeebeans

i hate my iphone.

/rant.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

Multibeast12

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on September 16, 2011, 05:55:41 PM
i hate my iphone.

/rant.
Tha tis the only time i've heard somebody say they hate the iphone.

Caravan2001

Anybody using an iphone with Outlook?  I want to switch to iPhone when/if it is released for Sprint next month but my current setup is a BBerry with BES.....Anybody have experience with iPhone off of an Enterprise server? RJ?  I know we talked about it for a second when we were in NYC, but I just don't quite remember....

antelope19

Quote from: Caravan2001 on September 18, 2011, 04:16:43 PM
Anybody using an iphone with Outlook?  I want to switch to iPhone when/if it is released for Sprint next month but my current setup is a BBerry with BES.....Anybody have experience with iPhone off of an Enterprise server? RJ?  I know we talked about it for a second when we were in NYC, but I just don't quite remember....

I don't know what any of that tech stuff means, but I use my iphone for work.  That includes outlook, salesforce, etc.  I've been very happy...never had any issues and working for one one of the largest payroll companies in the country, security is a top priority given the amount of sensitive data we deal with.....

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: Multibeast12 on September 17, 2011, 11:29:59 AM
i hate my iphone.

/rant.

seriously.

i may switch back to my samsung here soon...
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

justjezmund

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on September 18, 2011, 10:25:07 PM
Quote from: Multibeast12 on September 17, 2011, 11:29:59 AM
i hate my iphone.

/rant.

seriously.

i may switch back to my samsung here soon...

If you're gettin sick of smart phones I have one of these layin around if ya want it.

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Caravan2001 on September 18, 2011, 04:16:43 PM

You won't get quite the tight integration and speed of a Blackberry with BES but it will totally work. Add to it the fact that the web browser is 100x  better (despite no flash if that even really matters to you, I almost never miss it) and that the apps and hardware are way better...

I use a BB for work because work uses them. I'd never own one by choice.