News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

iPhone Thread

Started by mattstick, July 10, 2008, 04:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

1st post from my new iphone :-D
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

G. Augusto

sls.stormyrider

good thing I got it - my BB stopped working, and these guys were no help

"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

zimbra

This phone is crazy fast!  Such a good decision to wait on using my upgrade.  The 64gb was worth the wait alone IMO and the new hardware is just a plus!
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

antelope19

Quote from: mattstick on October 14, 2011, 09:54:50 AM

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/13/that-hide-the-newsstand-trick-it-works/

QuoteLine up three apps: app 1, Newsstand, app 2. Drag app 1 onto app 2 to create a new folder and then as soon as iOS is getting ready to folder 'em, drag Newsstand into the same group. About 80% of the time, this fails. You get a folder with both apps and Newsstand left out in the cold. When you do, just drag both items back out and start again.

fwiw, I got it on the first try.

Took me 3 attempts, but I got it!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

sls.stormyrider

got it, but the problem is I can't move anything into or out of the newstand.
NYT wound up in the newstand. I tried to put ESPN and the Onion in, but couldn't. I tried to take NYT out, and couldn't.
At least now they're all in one folder.

mattstick

At the bottom of that link it says...

QuoteUpdate: Some commenters are warning that you should not attempt to run Newsstand from a folder.

It would be nice if all the magazine companies and Apple could get along, I'd love to read SI in Newsstand rather than the SI app... but I don't know if we'll ever get to that point.

sls.stormyrider

right - opening NYT from newstand causes a crash. I kept them separate.

Caravan2001

Finally got one..stoked!  Wanted one since they first came out....def not disappointed, this thing rocks.....My wife has had one for 2 or 3 years and I have had a Touch and Pad, but it's not the same obv...loving it so far for a lot of different reasons..

Lifeboy

I don't follow this thread too closely, so forgive me if this has already been posted.

Pretty cool video though imo.

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

VDB

Quote from: slslbs on October 16, 2011, 03:11:04 PM
good thing I got it - my BB stopped working, and these guys were no help

Ha!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Is this still Wombat?

racecarr

Quote from: mattstick on October 14, 2011, 08:41:54 AM

I wonder if the IBM Watson people are a little pissed that they got scooped by Siri.

Yeah, that's a very good point. Natural language interpretation was the main focus of that whole project. In fact I believe they have finally started putting it to use, working with healthcare professionals:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/358871/IBM_s_Watson_to_Diagnose_Patients

A little fancier than finding directions to a good pizza joint...
That being said I gotta day that Siri is remarkably helpful!

racecarr

Has anyone started using iCloud, yet?  :?

postjack

Quote from: racecarr on October 19, 2011, 12:04:58 PM
Has anyone started using iCloud, yet?  :?

using it to sync my calendar and reminder list across my mbp, ipad, and 4S. its awesome.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

mattstick

I'm rocking the Photo Stream and syncing iCal and Reminders.