News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

iPhone Thread

Started by mattstick, July 10, 2008, 04:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Quote from: PG on September 20, 2013, 10:37:31 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on September 20, 2013, 10:06:28 PM
Anyone update to iOS 7 on an iPad 2? I've read mixed reviews on the compatibility; cnet seems to suggest it's not worth it, while arestechnica says it's manageable (although not perfect).

Pauging from an iPad 2 running 7 right now.  Been loving it. Only issue I've noticed is when I refresh the "all unread topics" page it sometimes doesn't just shows the most recent cached version with topics I've read still showing up. 

What have reviews said? This is the first I've heard of any issues on ipad2.

It's slower opening apps since the older processor can't keep up. I had such a nightmare updating my 3GS to iOS 4 that it drove me to get an Android.  ::shudders::
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

sls.stormyrider

did my phone. I like the control center and the today view from the locked screen.
I'm still not wild about the overall "look"

Is there any way to get the weather on the Today view?

eta- and just like that, the weather magically appeared
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

aphineday

32gb gold ordered with a 7-10 day shipping notice.
Got it in there as quick as I could.
I'm a big fan of the iOS 7.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

justjezmund

Tried out itunes radio today.  I think i like it, compared to Pandora that is.  I stream all the time at work and there are fewer adds and when you use all your skips, they regenerate after a couple of songs.  Where as Pandora makes you change a station.  That's convenient to me.  And the selection you get is different than the 6 songs pandora has on file.  That is also nice.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

PIE-GUY

So, I have an iphone 4 that was my mom's that I've been using as an ipod touch for about 6 months. I haven't paid for cell service in more than 10 years because work has always given me a cell. Today I signed my iphone 4 up for phone service. Since I didn't buy a phone, I am not under contract, so if I hate having two phones I can cancel it with no penalty. that said, I kinda hate it already. But I think I'll get used to it eventually.

anyway - if you have my old mobile number, keep it. I still have that phone for work. But my new mobile is all I will have in my pocket on weekends and when I'm at shows, etc. I want to put work away during non-work hours if possible. If are someone who has my number and wants my new number, send me a pm. Thanks!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Augustus

Shipped!
Gonna be here tomorrow!

aphineday

Quote from: Augustus on September 22, 2013, 07:29:28 AM
Shipped!
Gonna be here tomorrow!
Nice!
What was your ETA on a ship date from Apple?
Just curious how quickly they are moving.

Augustus

Quote from: aphineday on September 22, 2013, 01:02:26 PM
Quote from: Augustus on September 22, 2013, 07:29:28 AM
Shipped!
Gonna be here tomorrow!
Nice!
What was your ETA on a ship date from Apple?
Just curious how quickly they are moving.

I ordered from AT&T and they originally had it Oct 1- 10.
Stoked to get it TOMORROW!

antelope19

Apple just set a new all-time record for iPhone launch sales: it reports selling nine million total iPhone 5s and 5c units this weekend, well over the 5 million of the iPhone 5 launch last year.  The company also mentioned that more than 200 million devices are already running iOS 7. That's the fastest software upgrade in history, according to Apple.

:-o
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

aphineday

Makes me wonder if I should have ordered it from Verizon instead of Apple.
Oh well, awesome that you got it early!

Crazy on the news from Apple though it doesn't really shock me.

runawayjimbo

Well that didn't take long

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/german-hacker-group-ccc-compromises-iphone-fingerprint-sensor-a-923910.html

Chaos Computer Club: Hackers Crack Apple's Fingerprint Scanner

Apple recently launched the latest top-end model of its wildly successful iPhone, the 5S, to much fanfare. But a German hacker organization has thrown a wrench in the works by bypassing the smartphone's much-heralded fingerprint scanner just two days after launch.

It is supposed to represent a major step forward in mobile phone security by replacing the password. But the fingerprint sensor on Apple's new iPhone 5S has already been compromised just two days after it went on sale. The German hacker organization Chaos Computer Club (CCC) says it has successfully bypassed the biometric security system, called TouchID, using "easy everyday means."

TouchID works by allowing you to unlock your phone by scanning your fingerprint rather than inputting a password or code. To bypass it, the hackers used an iPhone 5S programmed with a fingerprint, and then took a high-resolution picture of the print from a separate glass surface before transferring it onto a transparent film which, after being breathed on to make it slightly moist, could be used to gain access to the device.
By doing so, the CCC said in a blog post, it wanted to demonstrate how fingerprint biometrics is "unsuitable as [an] access control method and should be avoided."

Such fingerprint technology has been around for a while -- it was included as a feature on the Motorola Atrix smartphone, launched in 2011 -- but TouchID has been reported as a significant step forward. That assertion is categorically denied by the CCC, with a hacker known as Starbug, who was responsible for bypassing the fingerprint security, saying: "In reality, Apple's sensor has just a higher resolution compared to the sensors so far. So we only needed to ramp up the resolution of our fake."

'Plain Stupid'

CCC spokesman Frank Rieger, meanwhile, said the organization hoped the demonstration would change the way people viewed fingerprint biometrics. "It is plain stupid to use something that you can't change and that you leave everywhere every day as a security token," he said, referring to fingerprints.

If the hack was confirmed -- with the CCC publishing a video and how-to guide on its blog -- it would represent a blow to Apple as the tech giant battles to maintain its grip on the smartphone market. The seventh-generation iPhone 5S was unveiled earlier this month at the same time as the cheaper and more basic iPhone 5C, which does not have TouchID. The two models went on sale last Friday with Apple seeking to boost its market share against its rival platform, Android, which is used by many other device manufacturers such as Samsung and HTC.

According to market researcher IDC, nearly 80 percent of the world's smartphones -- and nearly two thirds of its tablets -- are run on Android.
In an interview with Bloomberg Businessweek, Jony Ive, Apple's head of design, said of the fingerprint scanner: "There are so many problems that had to be solved to enable one big idea."

He can add the Chaos Computer Club to that list of problems.

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

antelope19

By now you've all probably seen the video that is currently making its way around the web claiming to show how easy it is to fool the Touch ID sensor on the new iPhone 5s. In it, a shaky-handed individual uses what appears to be a thin film of some sort to trick his phone into thinking he was using his correct finger, when in fact he wasn't. It's important to note that we're still waiting on the video showing the actual process -- which is obviously the more important part -- but for the moment we'll give the videos creators the benefit of the doubt.

Easy? Ha!

Certain corners of the tech blogosphere are reporting this as an "easy" trick, and even the original posting on the Chaos Computer Club website refers to the trick being pulled off "using easy everyday means." Again, assuming this trick is legitimate, let's take a look at the list of items are required to pull it off:

A perfect print (on a reasonably flat and clean surface) from the correct finger needed to unlock the device.
Superglue (which must be fumed to allow adherence to the print itself).
A high-quality digital camera capable of capturing photos with 2400 dpi resolution.
An image editing program to "clean up" the print and make it useable (and the knowhow to pull this off).
A sheet of printable clear plastic.
A printer that can both print in 1200 dpi and has a special "thick toner" setting.
Liquid latex (or wood glue) along with a few drops of glycerine to smear over the printed image. You then have to breathe on the fake print to give it just enough moisture to be read.
Oh, and you also need the phone itself, which you'll need to obtain without the target knowing (or they can remotely wipe the phone in an instant).
If you're missing just one of these things, you're out of luck. On top of that, the iPhone 5s automatically asks for your passcode after five failed finger unlock attempts, and you can't proceed without it at that point. For extra security, it also has a setting that will wipe the device completely after 10 failed finger unlock passcode unlock attempts. You better make that print flawlessly the very first time, or it's game over.

It's a fingerprint, not an iron cage

As Apple noted at the iPhone 5s reveal event, the company's figures show that half of iPhone owners don't use any security measures on their devices whatsoever. Touch ID is designed to change that. Is Touch ID more secure than no passcode? Of course it is. Is it more secure than the standard 4-digit passcodes many people use (which can be brute-forced in less than an hour)? I'd argue that yes, it is.

But if you're storing nuclear launch codes on your iPhone, you're probably going to want to go with the 20-digit code route or, you know, just not let your phone out of your sight.

Touch ID is not faultless, and although using a finger you chopped off a friend isn't likely to work, there are techniques that almost certainly can fool it. Apple likely over-promised, with the talk of "sub-epidermal" scanning, but this doesn't mean biometrics is dead -- at least not anymore than my home door lock is dead because someone can photograph my key and then make a copy in 10 minutes at the local Walmart.

It's a new security option, and it's an extremely convenient and secure one, even if your spouse has access to a high-end printer, liquid latex and takes Photoshop classes in her spare time. Stop worrying. Your text messages and Facebook updates are safe.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

aphineday

Quote from: antelope19 on September 23, 2013, 02:49:46 PM

By now you've all probably seen the video that is currently making its way around the web claiming to show how easy it is to fool the Touch ID sensor on the new iPhone 5s. In it, a shaky-handed individual uses what appears to be a thin film of some sort to trick his phone into thinking he was using his correct finger, when in fact he wasn't. It's important to note that we're still waiting on the video showing the actual process -- which is obviously the more important part -- but for the moment we'll give the videos creators the benefit of the doubt.

Easy? Ha!

Certain corners of the tech blogosphere are reporting this as an "easy" trick, and even the original posting on the Chaos Computer Club website refers to the trick being pulled off "using easy everyday means." Again, assuming this trick is legitimate, let's take a look at the list of items are required to pull it off:

A perfect print (on a reasonably flat and clean surface) from the correct finger needed to unlock the device.
Superglue (which must be fumed to allow adherence to the print itself).
A high-quality digital camera capable of capturing photos with 2400 dpi resolution.
An image editing program to "clean up" the print and make it useable (and the knowhow to pull this off).
A sheet of printable clear plastic.
A printer that can both print in 1200 dpi and has a special "thick toner" setting.
Liquid latex (or wood glue) along with a few drops of glycerine to smear over the printed image. You then have to breathe on the fake print to give it just enough moisture to be read.
Oh, and you also need the phone itself, which you'll need to obtain without the target knowing (or they can remotely wipe the phone in an instant).
If you're missing just one of these things, you're out of luck. On top of that, the iPhone 5s automatically asks for your passcode after five failed finger unlock attempts, and you can't proceed without it at that point. For extra security, it also has a setting that will wipe the device completely after 10 failed finger unlock passcode unlock attempts. You better make that print flawlessly the very first time, or it's game over.

It's a fingerprint, not an iron cage

As Apple noted at the iPhone 5s reveal event, the company's figures show that half of iPhone owners don't use any security measures on their devices whatsoever. Touch ID is designed to change that. Is Touch ID more secure than no passcode? Of course it is. Is it more secure than the standard 4-digit passcodes many people use (which can be brute-forced in less than an hour)? I'd argue that yes, it is.

But if you're storing nuclear launch codes on your iPhone, you're probably going to want to go with the 20-digit code route or, you know, just not let your phone out of your sight.

Touch ID is not faultless, and although using a finger you chopped off a friend isn't likely to work, there are techniques that almost certainly can fool it. Apple likely over-promised, with the talk of "sub-epidermal" scanning, but this doesn't mean biometrics is dead -- at least not anymore than my home door lock is dead because someone can photograph my key and then make a copy in 10 minutes at the local Walmart.

It's a new security option, and it's an extremely convenient and secure one, even if your spouse has access to a high-end printer, liquid latex and takes Photoshop classes in her spare time. Stop worrying. Your text messages and Facebook updates are safe.
But... But... But... It's so important to prove that Apple sucks!

Augustus

'Paugin' from the 5S.
Crazy fast!

aphineday

Quote from: Augustus on September 23, 2013, 05:01:07 PM
'Paugin' from the 5S.
Crazy fast!
Now you can fluff in real time!