News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

iPhone Thread

Started by mattstick, July 10, 2008, 04:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tet

What sort of problems did you have restoring from backup?  Mine has always been very smooth and problem-free. 

I'm loving the Plus, definitely the best phone I have ever used.  The battery life is insane.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

VDB

Quote from: tet on November 09, 2014, 06:43:30 PM
What sort of problems did you have restoring from backup?

Seemed like it didn't carry everything over, e.g. mail passwords (also my voicemail password, which I can't remember).

I'm definitely liking the screen, which is huge and gorgeous, and how slim and lightweight it is. I did get a (pretty low-profile) case just because naked it feels quite thin and fragile. I'm still trying to get a handle on the best way to hold it for maximum one-handed use and when to go to two. I will admit: it can feel unwieldy at times. I'm going to take the coming week to see if I get used to the size or if I will reconsider and step down to the regular 6. One thing I'll say, which I hadn't previously taken into account, is that this thing is so large it can easily take the place of the iPad for a lot of everyday use, at least and especially for things like browsing the web and reading articles in bed or on the crapper. I certainly had no intention of making my iPad more obsolete in that way; this would maybe be another reason to not have such a large phone if one already has a tablet.
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

you know the trick to one-handed use, right? double-tap and everything comes down within reach.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VDB

I know, but it can still be a strain to reach that top left corner. So something I'm still getting a feel for is using that vs going two handed.

I will say the predictive typing in iOS 8 is pretty slick.
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

Quote from: tet on November 09, 2014, 06:43:30 PM
The battery life is insane.

64% after a full day.  :-o
Is this still Wombat?

mattstick

My 5S has been having some issues charging.  I took a pin and cleaned so much lint out of the Lightning connector port, seems to be better now.

sls.stormyrider

I had a similar problem with the headphone jack on my 4s.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

pcr3

Wife and I went into the Verizon store today. She walked out with a new 5S.  I am due to have a new 128G 6 delivered within 2 weeks. I'm kinda pumped about this.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

VDB

Does anyone else find notifications to be seemingly unreliable? It'll go through phases where I don't get them on the lock screen and/or th pull down tray, with no apparent rhyme or reason. This is most obvious (maybe just because of the amount of notifications) with things like Ecofon and Facebook.
Is this still Wombat?

jedifunk

just got my 6 today... coming from a 4s, this is fucking HUGE!

physically and technically...

its soooo damn fast! i'm loving having a working phone again!

however, my icloud backup is still restoring after 6+ hrs... has anyone else experienced this? everything seems to be restored, but it still says its restoring. i see that lots of other have had issue with this, just curious if other paugers have too
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

pcr3

Quote from: jedifunk on November 17, 2014, 08:11:25 PM

however, my icloud backup is still restoring after 6+ hrs... has anyone else experienced this? everything seems to be restored, but it still says its restoring. i see that lots of other have had issue with this, just curious if other paugers have too

I'm about a week or two behind you, so I'd love to hear any stories/info that people have to share. I don't have much on the cloud, so I'm guessing my conversion will be easy. I very recently backed up my apps to itunes too, so I've got that going for me...

Also, I bought a Tech 21 Classic Frame case, which seems cool.  It's scheduled to arrive a day or two before the phone. Now what to do with 128 gigs of memory...
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: jedifunk on November 17, 2014, 08:11:25 PM

I've had issues with corrupt icloud backups before.
Had to restart it from scratch, then it worked.
It does take a long time to get all the photos and everything up - I forget how long atm but less than 6 hours.
Also, the only music it will put back is purchased music. It won't put anything back that you loaded on yourself. A backup from pc won't do that either.
When I get around to it, I'm going to get one of the 3rd party apps that actually does a complete b/u of ios devices.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mattstick

Never really understood iCloud backups, why not just use your computer(s)?

VDB

Quote from: mattstick on November 18, 2014, 01:28:32 PM

Agreed.

Also, pretty sure I've always been able to get my synced music back on my phone from a backup/restore.
Is this still Wombat?

jedifunk

Quote from: mattstick on November 18, 2014, 01:28:32 PM

icloud backups FTW because i don't have to do shit ... just plug it in at night when i go to bed (which i do anyways)... thats it done. backed up.

no need to think about actually plugging it into my macbook and being tied to that & itunes (which i haven't opened in years).

yes, it ended up taking 10.5 hours to complete the restore, but thats because my dumb ass has 4500+ photos on there.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio