News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

iPhone Thread

Started by mattstick, July 10, 2008, 04:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

Running into a lot of data issues myself.

I just got the SE phone when I had the 5s before. I have been streaming TV shows on the bus rides to and from work. I use almost more than 10GB a month with the streaming. Thinking about going to the unlimited plan. I went through and turned off the wifi assist and the background refreshing, it must be the higher quality video for the SE/6 model that is making my data go up a lot from when I was doing the same stuff with the 5s.

VDB

RJ: I imagine you can log a lot of time and data streaming things during your commute, no?
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on August 19, 2016, 05:15:34 PM

I just got the SE phone when I had the 5s before. I have been streaming TV shows on the bus rides to and from work. I use almost more than 10GB a month with the streaming. Thinking about going to the unlimited plan. I went through and turned off the wifi assist and the background refreshing, it must be the higher quality video for the SE/6 model that is making my data go up a lot from when I was doing the same stuff with the 5s.

no wifi on the bus?? BS!!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VDB

Yeah, the only time I really blew up my usage (and got a message from AT&T warning me to get ready to get throttled) was shortly after I got the 6+ with its big-ass screen and streamed some sports over LTE via the ESPN app -- apparently in, like, full HD and at a severe data-swallowing rate, cuz I didn't even watch all that much.
Is this still Wombat?

emay

Quote from: PGLHAH on August 19, 2016, 05:17:47 PM

no wifi on the bus?? BS!!

haha I wish!
They need some fiber optics on there with that amount of ppl that would be using it though.

rowjimmy

Quote from: VDB on August 19, 2016, 05:16:10 PM
RJ: I imagine you can log a lot of time and data streaming things during your commute, no?

Yeah but I don't do as much as you'd think.
I don't Spotify or applemuzak but I freely dl podcasts and shows via relisten where/whenever I want.

ph92

I fix these things all day long. If you ever want a phone fixed or some advice, PM me I can hook it up Blanks and Postage style (send me your device, the part cost, and shipping). But seriously, I get parts for super cheap. I work at a repair shop. Obviously this would be something you could only do if you had a backup phone... or didn't care if you went without a phone.

To give you an idea:
i6 and i5s  are around $25
i6+ are around $50
SE uses i5s screens
i6S are pretty pricey, around $100
i6S+ are $170

Obviously I can do anything else on these as well. Just PM me if you want to. By the way I work at uBreakiFix, it's a national chain.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

VDB

Since you mention it: Not long ago, I had the screen replaced on my 6+. I feel like it's been since around that time that the proximity sensor doesn't work anymore, and consequently I'm always pressing buttons with my face while on calls. Could that be due to a bad install and/or part?
Is this still Wombat?

ph92

Quote from: VDB on August 19, 2016, 07:42:10 PM
Since you mention it: Not long ago, I had the screen replaced on my 6+. I feel like it's been since around that time that the proximity sensor doesn't work anymore, and consequently I'm always pressing buttons with my face while on calls. Could that be due to a bad install and/or part?
There's normally a bracket that holds the prox/camera in place (also subsequently the earspeaker connects to that flex, which also includes a mic) and there's a good chance the new screen was missing those brackets, I've seen a lot of cheaper screens don't have the bracket so therefore the prox might be just not aligned with the holes.

Top center, its a clear rectangular bracket. The prox sensor is the back rectangle with the 2 little lenses (just below the tweezers)

If you're interested in fixing it yourself you can just either try to open it up and try to realign it. Or sometimes, a trick that works for us is to use a dry erase marker on one of the light sensor lenses. Sometimes that will work if the holes are too translucent. Otherwise, if you don't care about the slight visual defect, you can scratch those areas out (sometimes even works with the dry erase as a combo) to let more light in.

If you want, I can send some brackets your way. Free of charge! Just PM your address if you're interested (or willing to risk doing the repair yourself.) I can instruct you on the most proper precautions and method to do it, its pretty easy honestly.

It's all about diagnosing the problem with combonations of tricks on these phones. There's ususally no one fix all

Also a really fast way to test the prox is to pop up siri (gotta have internet or data connected) and cover the prox, it will trigger.
Make America Melt Again!

VDB

Thanks for the insights. I wouldn't mind messing with it myself except I'm taking it back to the repair shop anyway. I had previously taken it in because I was randomly getting ghost touches on the screen -- phantom taps that made using the phone impossible during these spells -- and homeboy at the shop said a replacement screen would do the trick. Well, it didn't, and then he refused to keep tinkering on account of my not having the newest OS and also having a jailbreak. So after some time I finally got around to updating to 9.3.3. and damned if the problem isn't still here. So I'll be paying them another visit.
Is this still Wombat?

ph92

Quote from: VDB on August 22, 2016, 11:18:08 AM
Thanks for the insights. I wouldn't mind messing with it myself except I'm taking it back to the repair shop anyway. I had previously taken it in because I was randomly getting ghost touches on the screen -- phantom taps that made using the phone impossible during these spells -- and homeboy at the shop said a replacement screen would do the trick. Well, it didn't, and then he refused to keep tinkering on account of my not having the newest OS and also having a jailbreak. So after some time I finally got around to updating to 9.3.3. and damned if the problem isn't still here. So I'll be paying them another visit.
Yeah that's definitely a screen issue. I know some of these manufacturers aren't putting the proper grounding tape over certain pins/connectors etc. But at the same time, with those  brackets it really sounds like they use lower quality parts. I've never heard of jailbroken phones causing issues with ghost touching. I have heard of it making the screen not work at all though haha.
Make America Melt Again!

VDB

Well, the thing is the ghost touch issue started with the OEM screen. Just out of the blue and not following any kind of OS monkeying; I've been jailbreaking for years.
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

Get a load of this article -- how timely. Seems I'm far from the only one having touch problems with a 6-plus, and this would explain why replacing the screen didn't solve the problem.

http://ifixit.org/blog/8309/iphone-6-plus-gray-flicker-touch-death/
Is this still Wombat?

ph92

Quote from: VDB on August 24, 2016, 10:29:13 AM
Get a load of this article -- how timely. Seems I'm far from the only one having touch problems with a 6-plus, and this would explain why replacing the screen didn't solve the problem.

http://ifixit.org/blog/8309/iphone-6-plus-gray-flicker-touch-death/
Oh you didn't mention the grey lines. That is the kiss of death. Means board damage every time. Whenever we get someone in with that we just instruct them to replace the phone.

IMO, the 6 series is kinda trash. We see people in all the time with bent frames, board damage is rampant. The touchID is a fiasco. The fact that the LCD gets damaged so easily. I could go on. They're good for people who take care of their phones. But otherwise these things are so damn fragile!
Make America Melt Again!

mbw

Quote"I took [my phone] to the 'Geniuses' at Apple Store in Westfield Valley Fair mall (Santa Clara, CA)," one iPhone 6 Plus owner wrote on Apple's support forum. "After a very long wait (~2 hrs) I finally met with a rep. He acknowledged the problem (he was very familiar with it), but said Apple doesn't recognize it as an issue, and so there is not much he can do." Another iPhone 6 Plus owner was apparently told by an Apple employee that people come in with this issue "several times per day." "After talking to a tech, I got exactly what I expected 'You're out of warranty and you're [sic] only option is to buy a new phone," the user wrote.

At least Apple stands behind their products.