News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

iPhone Thread

Started by mattstick, July 10, 2008, 04:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ph92

Quote from: mbw on August 24, 2016, 09:44:29 PM
Quote from: VDB on August 24, 2016, 06:37:56 PM

I don't see this as Apple being greedy to just sell accessories.

Of course it is.  The Stockholm Syndrome is strong with you guys.
:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

But then again, Samsung is doing the same thing with the S7's
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

VDB

Do you really think Apple would kill the headphone jack just so they could get the incremental revenue from selling a few Lightning-to-3.5mm dongles? Come on. That'd be a drop in the bucket for them.

Trust me, I have plenty of reasons to dislike Apple right now. But that theory isn't one of them.
Is this still Wombat?

mbw

Quote from: VDB on August 24, 2016, 10:39:41 PM

Do you really think Apple would kill the headphone jack just so they could get the incremental revenue from selling a few Lightning-to-3.5mm dongles? Come on. That'd be a drop in the bucket for them.

Trust me, I have plenty of reasons to dislike Apple right now. But that theory isn't one of them.

No, not adapters.  I'm fairly certain they just bought a headphone company for 3 billion dollars though, which i'm fairly certain will have lightning native headphones on the shelf the same day.

Also if you think the question, "Do we really need the money?" has ever been uttered at an apple board meeting well..."Lets just install suicide prevention nets" actually was.

VDB

Appears we were talking about different kinds of products, but I'm glad we can at least unite around the idea that Apple is greedier and more evil than many people seem to suspect. (And I say this as a very minority shareholder who wishes he held a whole lot more.)
Is this still Wombat?

ph92

Quote from: VDB on August 25, 2016, 11:40:44 AM
Appears we were talking about different kinds of products, but I'm glad we can at least unite around the idea that Apple is greedier and more evil than many people seem to suspect. (And I say this as a very minority shareholder who wishes he held a whole lot more.)
MAKING BILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF THE BARE BACKS OF MALAYSIAN SWEATSHOP WORKERS!

I've always despised Apple. They took something free and amazing and put a pricetag on it, and that thing was UNIX/BSD (now linux is based on it). Its messed up because of what that whole community is based off of, it was the staple and message of freely developed and shared software.

I do understand they do have merits for those who are not savvy though. I do give them that. And their products do look nice. I just wish everything wasn't so proprietary so I could get a Macbook air and put linux on it :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Make America Melt Again!

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

ph92

Quote from: PGLHAH on August 25, 2016, 01:47:07 PM

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard Yes! That's so perfect.
Make America Melt Again!

VDB

Quote from: ph92 on August 25, 2016, 12:19:18 PM
I've always despised Apple. They took something free and amazing and put a pricetag on it, and that thing was UNIX/BSD (now linux is based on it). Its messed up because of what that whole community is based off of, it was the staple and message of freely developed and shared software.

Android is also based on UNIX tho.
Is this still Wombat?

ph92

Quote from: VDB on August 25, 2016, 03:28:12 PM
Quote from: ph92 on August 25, 2016, 12:19:18 PM

Android is also based on UNIX tho.
Yeah, but it doesn't cost money. You can download stock OS's without having to purchase a phone or the key. Also you can develop freely and easily at your own will.
Make America Melt Again!

VDB

You can download Mac OS for free and build a hackintosh if you like.
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

New iPhone announcement expected next week.

Can't come soon enough as I struggle to get by with my half-functional 6+. Depending on the feature set of the newest one, I am looking forward to possibly getting a 6S+ at its new, reduced price.
Is this still Wombat?

antelope19

Quote from: mbw on August 25, 2016, 08:07:38 AM
Quote from: VDB on August 24, 2016, 10:39:41 PM

No, not adapters.  I'm fairly certain they just bought a headphone company for 3 billion dollars though, which i'm fairly certain will have lightning native headphones on the shelf the same day.

Also if you think the question, "Do we really need the money?" has ever been uttered at an apple board meeting well..."Lets just install suicide prevention nets" actually was.

I should have been more clear, but this is was I was referring to, not the adapters you were talking about
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Multibeast12

I don't own a iPhone, have always gravitated towards Android, but I follow all phone tech news. The thing that bothers me about companies getting away from the headphone jack is how will you charge and listen to music, do we now need to carry around a charging pad for wireless charging? Seems inconvenient.

ph92

Quote from: Multibeast12 on September 02, 2016, 07:19:11 AM
I don't own a iPhone, have always gravitated towards Android, but I follow all phone tech news. The thing that bothers me about companies getting away from the headphone jack is how will you charge and listen to music, do we now need to carry around a charging pad for wireless charging? Seems inconvenient.
No they're keeping the lightning jack (apple proprietary charge port) but doing away with the headphone jack... I think it's dumb. Cause even if they have an adapter. How will you charge your phone and listen if you don't have wireless?
Make America Melt Again!

mattstick

People want lighter, thinner and more powerful phones. Eliminating the headphone jack is one way to do that.