News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

iPhone Thread

Started by mattstick, July 10, 2008, 04:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ph92

Quote from: VDB on August 25, 2016, 03:48:37 PM
You can download Mac OS for free and build a hackintosh if you like.
Is that legal though? Officially I mean. Cause sure I can get Windows for free and modify it. But I'm not supposed to be able to. People have just found out how to. And it's illegal.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

ph92

Quote from: mattstick on September 02, 2016, 07:44:05 AM
People want lighter, thinner and more powerful phones. Eliminating the headphone jack is one way to do that.

I that is true. And honestly, it'll be good for my work. Cause also, changing dock flexes, which has the headphone jack, is annoying. Specifically the part of the flex with the jack is a pain to line up proper. It's just time consuming.
Make America Melt Again!

Multibeast12

Quote from: ph92 on September 02, 2016, 07:47:14 AM
People want lighter, thinner and more powerful phones. Eliminating the headphone jack is one way to do that.

I that is true. And honestly, it'll be good for my work. Cause also, changing dock flexes, which has the headphone jack, is annoying. Specifically the part of the flex with the jack is a pain to line up proper. It's just time consuming.
Outside of a repair stand point, I have replaced many screens on my phones, but I feel as though the headphone jack doesn't add that much thickness to the body. Are people basically looking for a index card sized phone?

Also just a general phone request, just make a battery that will last easily 2-3 days. I get through a day easily on my phone, but still would like to have a phone last super long so I never have to worry about a charge.

ph92

Quote from: Multibeast12 on September 02, 2016, 07:52:58 AM
Quote from: ph92 on September 02, 2016, 07:47:14 AM

Outside of a repair stand point, I have replaced many screens on my phones, but I feel as though the headphone jack doesn't add that much thickness to the body. Are people basically looking for a index card sized phone?

Also just a general phone request, just make a battery that will last easily 2-3 days. I get through a day easily on my phone, but still would like to have a phone last super long so I never have to worry about a charge.
Here's the thing with wafer thin phones. The headphone jack is as thick as a charge port. They can maybe skimp 3-5 mm off the housing. A good camera is thicker than both. Probably about one and a half the size of a headphone jack or charge port. The insane quality cameras on nexus phones are even bigger than the 6 cameras by a solid degree. The logic board is just a slight bit thinner than the camera. If you make it any thinner you'll probably run into serious issues like the 6. And if they kept 3D touch those LCD's are like double the size of a regular LCD. The front camera/ear speaker assembly is as thick as the rear camera, and that shit already sticks out the back.

Seems to me , without some radical new design and breakthrough in terms of high quality cameras and logic board design, taking out the headphone jack doesn't make a device thinner. It just makes them have proprietary accessories.

Now take out the the charge port, cameras and ear speakers, and we can talk about thinner and more powerful!
Make America Melt Again!

runawayjimbo

It's official: jack off

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

VDB

Apple VP of marketing Phil Schiller on removing the 3.5mm jack: "It comes down to courage—courage to move on, do something new that betters all of us."

Jesus Christ, get over yourselves.

Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

Quote from: VDB on September 07, 2016, 03:03:36 PM
Apple VP of marketing Phil Schiller on removing the 3.5mm jack: "It comes down to courage—courage to move on, do something new that betters all of us."

I'm not philosophically opposed to the lightning headphones, but I fail to see how anyone's life is bettered by wearing these ridiculous looking things:

ph92

Quote from: VDB on September 07, 2016, 03:03:36 PM

My boss was fucking with me. After watching the tech talk he asked me: "What does Apple have, Will?" I said some hate, what hate is not important. He just didn't respond to that and said "courage"

SO PRETENTIOUS! Ha, but hey, we gonna make some money!
Make America Melt Again!

rowjimmy

People need to chill out.
Marketing lines aside, the jack takes space. It's old tech and it's not gonna be in the phone.
Guess what?
You will survive.

sls.stormyrider

I'm not thrilled with losing the headphone jack, but supposedly this comes with an adaptor.
due for an upgrade, intrigued about the better camera and waterproof feature
Likely upgrade
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VDB

The fact is everyone has different priorities when it comes to their smartphone usage, and so losing the 3.5 will be important to some and not important to others.
Is this still Wombat?

mbw

Dual cameras?!?  The future is now!

runawayjimbo

Quote from: mbw on September 07, 2016, 03:41:54 PM
Dual cameras?!?  The future is now!

Was waiting for that one.

PIE-GUY

The big news: Mario on iPhone!

:tte:
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul