News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Soccer Thread

Started by MiamiPhish, August 18, 2008, 03:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

while i applaud the DoJ for trying to do something, i'm a bit of a pessimist here... i don't think this changes much. it states that they got major players, but they really didn't. these are just middle men.

until they get blatter and his core group nothing changes. the elections this week will likely still result in blatters 5th term
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mopper_smurf

Quote from: jedifunk on May 27, 2015, 11:09:49 AM
while i applaud the DoJ for trying to do something, i'm a bit of a pessimist here... i don't think this changes much. it states that they got major players, but they really didn't. these are just middle men.

until they get blatter and his core group nothing changes. the elections this week will likely still result in blatters 5th term

Blatter buys his votes. Which is legal. For him.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

rowjimmy

Reliable sources report that each of the arrested officials, when confronted by police, threw themselves on the ground and claimed injury.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 27, 2015, 11:46:55 AM
Reliable sources report that each of the arrested officials, when confronted by police, threw themselves on the ground and claimed injury.

:clap:
:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

jedifunk

ok, so real soccer talk ...

that 1st half of the europa league final was amazing! 2-2 ... end to end stuff! highly recommend everyone catch the second half, its on fox sports 1
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

runawayjimbo

Blatter'd

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32982449

Fifa: Sepp Blatter to quit as president amid corruption scandal

Sepp Blatter says he will resign as president of football's governing body Fifa amid a corruption scandal.

In announcing his exit, the 79-year-old Swiss has called an extraordinary Fifa congress "as soon as possible" to elect a new president.

Blatter was re-elected last week, despite seven top Fifa officials being arrested two days before the vote as part of a US prosecution.

But he said: "My mandate does not appear to be supported by everybody."

Fifa was rocked last week by the arrests on charges of racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering as part of a US prosecution that also indicted 14 people.

A separate criminal investigation by Swiss authorities into how the 2018 and 2022 World Cups were allocated is also under way.

"I am very much linked to Fifa and its interests. Those interests are dear to me and this is why I am taking this decision," added Blatter.

"What counts most to me is the institute of Fifa and football around the world."
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: runawayjimbo on June 02, 2015, 01:10:47 PM
Blatter'd

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32982449

Fifa: Sepp Blatter to quit as president amid corruption scandal

Sepp Blatter says he will resign as president of football's governing body Fifa amid a corruption scandal.

In announcing his exit, the 79-year-old Swiss has called an extraordinary Fifa congress "as soon as possible" to elect a new president.

Blatter was re-elected last week, despite seven top Fifa officials being arrested two days before the vote as part of a US prosecution.

But he said: "My mandate does not appear to be supported by everybody."

Fifa was rocked last week by the arrests on charges of racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering as part of a US prosecution that also indicted 14 people.

A separate criminal investigation by Swiss authorities into how the 2018 and 2022 World Cups were allocated is also under way.

"I am very much linked to Fifa and its interests. Those interests are dear to me and this is why I am taking this decision," added Blatter.

"What counts most to me is the institute of Fifa and football around the world."

Within minutes after this announcement my phone nearly exploded handling all the WhatsApps and texts and shit. Lock him up and throw away the key.
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Kate

...is the nature of concluding WC matches, especially when our magnificent women are in play, as the quadrennial wait can be interminable only to see tournament month streak by with all the patience of Weir during a 1st set Trey solo (and, honestly, thank God (or Phish) for the loaner thus far during the band's valedictory run).

I'm a bit hoarse after a smashing victory on the Montreal pitch this evening; while protracted sport seasons offer a margin for setbacks and recovery, I think that consistently ascendant performance is the key to success in the compressed context of tournament play. Hopefully the USWNT's final game will be the futbol equivalent of the June Winterland stand to the Dead's 77 Spring Tour!/peace, K
Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?

PIE-GUY

Hello, Kate. Whaaat's happening?

If you could just condense that last post into a haiku, that'd be great.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Gundo

Which thread is this?

jedifunk

agreed Kate!

the US has gotten better with each match ... some more than others. last night in particular was our best match for sure, and against our strongest opponent...

on the one hand i hope for the "easier" opponent (England) in the final, but on the other would prefer to see Japan as they are truly marvelous to watch play, and a rematch of 4 years ago would be great!
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

susep

great game last night, lovin' the allies vs. axis final 4.  pumped for Sunday. 

jedifunk

what an epic opening 15 minutes from the US last night... japan was simply stunned.

it also made the rest of the match somewhat anti-climatic. i went to watch it downtown at the new twins stadium (they have a nice little amphitheater with a small lawn) and after the first 20 minutes lots of people kind of stop paying attention to the match and talking and hanging out.

overall, i think the US was a deserved winner of the tournament ... they got better/stronger with each match, and clearly were the better team in the final. people said they had an easy run, but i don't agree.  they were in the "Group of Death" and had to face a tough Germany in the semifinal.

now its onto the gold cup for the men!

-----------

Copa America

this was a tournament done proper! just line em up and play!

i'm both happy for Chile and sad for Argentina... messi is the best i've ever seen, and he will be knocked forever for not winning at the international level (which is stupid).

chile probably shouldn't have still had vidal on the roster, but i digress ... and argentina still had the better team on paper anyways.

so many penalty shoot outs too!

-----

u-20 world cup

a great show case for a lot of the emerging talent in the world! the US did itself proud, and lost in the round of 8 to eventual champ sebia (on penalties no less). we looked pretty darn good in the 2 matches i was able to catch (2:30 AM viewings on FS1).

was sorta shocked at how disappointing Germany were however ... the depth of their talent seems to be endless!

---
u21 european championship

speaking of shocked ... germany were shocked in this tournament too! getting thumped 5-0 in the semis by eventual champs portugal.

this new "golden generation" (i hate that term) from portugal is pretty stacked, and almost all of them play in portugal still which is pretty rare these days.

anyhoo, Gold Cup starts tomorrow!
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

mopper_smurf

Never seen something like this before. Goalkeeper scores with his heel in overtime last night.
Twitter | FB | Instagram

jedifunk

Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio