News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The Dead & Company Fall Tour/Halloween/NYE Run

Started by emay, August 24, 2015, 04:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Listetened to a chunk of 7/3 on Sirius while driving around a few weeks ago, I still say it was an awesome show and the best of all five. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

pcr3

Quote from: Hicks on October 01, 2015, 01:47:19 AM
Listetened to a chunk of 7/3 on Sirius while driving around a few weeks ago, I still say it was an awesome show and the best of all five.

I haven't listened back yet and didn't attend Santa Clara (watched though) and have to agree about the Friday show.

What source(s) do people recommend for re-listening to the Chicago shows?
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

sophist

Quote from: Augustus on September 30, 2015, 08:44:11 PM
Well, the clip with Trey playing with Phil before the shows were pretty meh.
And we all know how those shows turned out!
You guys still cranking those FTW concerts a lot or what?
it's awesome to finally see you kinda butt hurt/defensive about some music for the first time in like 3-4 years on this board. 

I don't think (at least I'm not) questioning Mayer's ability to play the music.  That 45 second clip he runs Trey off the stage, and that pains me to admit that, but he's def doing shit Trey at 51 cannot do.  I think the only thing up in the air is if he finds himself in some hauntingly dark space of improvised music like a dark star, what's he going to do?  At least I am wondering that.  Even those Phil shows where he sat in, he kinda took a back seat once the music really took off in an unknown direction, and as for the composed parts, he handled himself really well.  Regardless of what else I will see before they hit here, I'm going to the Atlanta show.  I'm curious enough to be drawn to see these guys play together. 

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Superfreakie

Quote from: pcr3 on October 01, 2015, 11:17:32 AM

I haven't listened back yet and didn't attend Santa Clara (watched though) and have to agree about the Friday show.

The FOB Pasternak recordings on etree. I've posted the links to them in one of the threads.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

pcr3

Quote from: Superfreakie on October 01, 2015, 05:11:11 PM
Quote from: pcr3 on October 01, 2015, 11:17:32 AM

The FOB Pasternak recordings on etree. I've posted the links to them in one of the threads.

Thanks SF.  I've favorited them on my etree mobile app and will give them a run through when I have a chance.   :music:
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: sophist on October 01, 2015, 11:26:22 AM
That 45 second clip he runs Trey off the stage, and that pains me to admit that, but he's def doing shit Trey at 51 cannot do.

uh... wut? I'm not hearing anything that outshines Trey in that clip...

I definitely question Mayer's ability to play the music of :syf:  Sure, he can rip some blues but I've never heard him do anything similar to what the dead do/did. I feel like he'd be totally lost in any deep typeII jams.... Which makes me think there won't be much jamming with this Dead incarnation. Just Bobby and John playing some blues rock.
Bring in the dude!

Augustus

Not much mention of Oteil.
Is he gonna do the catalog justice?
Phil was the anchor in that GD lineup with Trey.
It's just gonna be weird.
As much as I love John Mayer, this whole thing doesn't appeal to me despite having those 2 MSG shows close to home.

rowjimmy

Couple points:

Mayer sounded ok when he played with Phil a little while back. He was, however, playing third fiddle much of the time.

Otiel is great. Not sure how he'll do though. Those are some big nerdy shoes to fill.

That said, after watching the Billy with Weir set followed by Phil with Carlos from Lockn, Phil is the guy that pushes the X-factor far more than The Other Guys (with the exception of Mickey).

WhatstheUse?

Oteil's take on the catalog will be interesting to hear. He's got such a different style than Phil.
Bring in the dude!

rowjimmy

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 01, 2015, 07:59:23 PM
Oteil's take on the catalog will be interesting to hear. He's got such a different style than Phil.

Interesting, yes.

But it's not moving me to buy the ticket.

sls.stormyrider

A clue of how Oteil will sound is likely in the KBM shows from a few years ago.
Otiel's great - he is no Phil but then nobody is. Agree with RJ that Phil is the FORCE.

I think Mayer played a Dead tune at Crossroads (2014?) and it was actually pretty good. I think I have a copy on my accessory HD - I'll try to dig it up this w/e if anyone wants to hear it.

ETA - wasn't a GD tune, but a jam from a GD tune in one of his songs. I'll try and dig it up.

anyway, the post GD projects that I like best are the ones that sound most UNlike the GD - ie much of the Phil and Friends, JRAD, some of the Jazz is Dead. I don't think this one will fill the bill for me

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Augustus

mbw

rowjimmy

Augustus