News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Have you heard about...? (Politics edition)

Started by VDB, November 30, 2010, 10:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Quote from: kellerb on January 11, 2018, 12:22:21 PM
11 * 40 * 52 = $22,880 per year.
yay trump and walmart, good job.

That's a $4,000+ increase. When's the last time you got a 20% raise?
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mattstick

Ontario didn't give out a giant tax payout to businesses and raised the minimum wage from $11.40 to $14 and next year it goes up to $15.

rowjimmy

So generous.

Wait a second there...

(link)

Walmart is closing 63 Sam's Club stores across the US, the company told Business Insider.

Several stores were abrupty closed Thursday. In some cases, employees were not informed of the closures prior to showing up to work on Thursday.

Instead, they learned that their store would be closing when they found the store's doors locked and a notice announcing the closure...
Ok. That seems more realistic.

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

runawayjimbo

I don't understand that point, RJ They're not allowed to close stores as they see fit now? I'm sure Anchorage, AK was a hotbed of Sam's Club activity, but maybe there were other logistical reasons to pull the plug. Doing it without notice is shitty, but I suspect there's more to that than the original reporting lets on.

Quote from: mattstick on January 11, 2018, 01:29:14 PM
Ontario didn't give out a giant tax payout to businesses and raised the minimum wage from $11.40 to $14 and next year it goes up to $15.

Cool story

Buffalo Budd

So Jimbo, is it party politics above all else or are you just playing devil's advocate.
Just wondering since I see it within my own family and they would blindly follow this current administration into the depths of hell if it meant beating the libs.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sls.stormyrider

association does not equal causation, whatever Walmart says

I'm sure you have seen the projections that people making > 750K will pay 50K less, at least. And the carried interest deduction stands, which means that hedge fund managers and the banking class still aren't being taxed at the regular rate, and those of us who actually sweat and get paid a salary do. Which would matter less if the deficit wasn't going to go up (despite what Cheney said, deficits DO matter) and the tax reductions for lower and middle classes go away and those for the upper class (top 1%) stay.

So while I believe the cuts will have some stimulus on the economy, the stimulus won't equal the drag on the economy by the deficit going up. Not to mention that the benefits will be "regressive"
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on January 11, 2018, 02:20:59 PM
So Jimbo, is it party politics above all else or are you just playing devil's advocate.
Just wondering since I see it within my own family and they would blindly follow this current administration into the depths of hell if it meant beating the libs.

Since when have I played party politics:  I'm an equal opportunity hater of gov't. I just have never seen so many people so disappointed that literally millions of Americans will be getting a raise this year, either implicitly by the "privilege" of keeping more of their own money or by actual wage increases by the dozens and dozens of companies who have announced on that ATR list.

Quote from: slslbs on January 11, 2018, 02:50:09 PM
I'm sure you have seen the projections that people making > 750K will pay 50K less, at least. And the carried interest deduction stands, which means that hedge fund managers and the banking class still aren't being taxed at the regular rate, and those of us who actually sweat and get paid a salary do. Which would matter less if the deficit wasn't going to go up (despite what Cheney said, deficits DO matter) and the tax reductions for lower and middle classes go away and those for the upper class (top 1%) stay.

So while I believe the cuts will have some stimulus on the economy, the stimulus won't equal the drag on the economy by the deficit going up. Not to mention that the benefits will be "regressive"

I'm not gonna lie, sls, value judgements about the inherent "fairness" of the tax code don't really do much for me. Is it fair that people making 750k are getting a tax cut the size of the median household income? I don't know, probably not. But is it fair that those people also pay more in taxes on an absolute basis than I will make in a year or two or five? Well that just doesn't seem right either. Fairness is a subjective, relative measure that makes for good partisan scorekeeping but is useless in determining whether or not it's good policy.

I agree that increasing deficits are a real problem, which is why I'm hopeful that Congress will get its act together and reduce spending - the true driver of our deficit malaise - in a meaningful way. And by "hopeful" I mean "no goddamn way." It's also difficult for me to take Ds seriously as deficit scolds when for 8 yrs they assured us deficits don't matter when they were calling the shots. And if you want to talk about making the tax code more progressive, you have to talk about the payroll tax, which is the most regressive tax on the books since, unlike income tax, literally every working person pays it, regardless of income. Oh well, I'm sure they'll get around to it eventually (narrator voice: they did not get around to it).

By the way, as we were dicking around here the House just extended the NSA's ability to spy on each and every one of us. Guess my Alexa will have to stay in its box in it's closet wrapped in mylar until next year.

Buffalo Budd

sls.stormyrider

agree with much of that.
Personally, I don't feel bad that the upper 1% theoretically pays a higher chunk than the lower 99, just like I don't mind paying a bit more (to a point) as long as people who make more than me pay more too. I think "the govt is taking my money" is a bit of an oversimplification, especially because most of us have been helped by govt along the way.

Actually, Cheney was the one who said "Reagan taught us that deficits don't matter". That said, deficits matter more to the minority party or at least the party not in the WH to use as a political tool. Both parties are guilty,  imo the GOP are much bigger hypocrites about it.

Re payroll tax, I assume you mean social security. In a way it's regressive because the amount you pay is capped. But the benefit is also capped so it's not as straighforward as it sounds.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

Quote from: runawayjimbo on January 11, 2018, 01:55:47 PM
I don't understand that point, RJ They're not allowed to close stores as they see fit now? I'm sure Anchorage, AK was a hotbed of Sam's Club activity, but maybe there were other logistical reasons to pull the plug. Doing it without notice is shitty, but I suspect there's more to that than the original reporting lets on.

The point is that, despite the celebration from the administration, they're not necessarily giving these raises as any response to the tax plan. Seems pretty clear that the cuts one one side are not unrelated to the distributions on the other.

Buffalo Budd

I'm not totally sure on the validity of Vox's reporting but even if this is partially true, what a crock.

Quote3 Trump properties posted 144 openings for seasonal jobs. Only one went to a US worker.
"America First" doesn't seem to apply to the president's own businesses.

https://www.vox.com/2018/2/13/16466542/trump-h-2b-guest-workers

mbw

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on February 13, 2018, 11:24:06 AM
I'm not totally sure on the validity of Vox's reporting but even if this is partially true, what a crock.

Quote3 Trump properties posted 144 openings for seasonal jobs. Only one went to a US worker.

of course its true.  who do you think works at hotels and golf courses?
the amount of undocumented workers at his properties is probably huge.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: mbw on February 13, 2018, 01:49:01 PM

Translation:  "Of course it's true because I want it to be true because it confirms my preexisting beliefs. Probably."

For the record, that's basically Vox's reporting ethos:  come to conclusion and work backwards from there.

mbw

Quote from: runawayjimbo on February 13, 2018, 03:14:09 PM
Quote from: mbw on February 13, 2018, 01:49:01 PM

Translation:  "Of course it's true because I want it to be true because it confirms my preexisting beliefs. Probably."

For the record, that's basically Vox's reporting ethos:  come to conclusion and work backwards from there.

youre right

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/28/news/donald-trump-foreign-workers/index.html

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/362435-trump-winery-seeks-permission-to-hire-foreign-guest-workers

http://www.newsweek.com/america-first-trump-businesses-keep-hiring-foreign-workers-571612

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trumps-history-foreign-workers-properties/story?id=46862305

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2016/jul/27/michael-bloomberg/michael-bloomberg-donald-trump-visa-sys/

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/03/20/the-foreign-workers-of-mar-a-lago

just making shit up.  probably.