News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

GDead Thread

Started by VA $l!m, August 26, 2005, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Crossposting for kicks.

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 11, 2012, 11:37:54 AM
So I think I've mentioned that I have some editions of the Grateful Dead Hour on vinyl... Spinning #1 right now

Check the tumblr for pics of the vinyl & cue sheets.
http://rowj.tumblr.com/post/19120469560/the-grateful-dead-hour-1-week-of-sept-5-1988

That's the Harpur College Viola Lee on side 2.

barnesy305

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 11, 2012, 11:49:56 AM
Crossposting for kicks.

So I think I've mentioned that I have some editions of the Grateful Dead Hour on vinyl... Spinning #1 right now

http://rowj.tumblr.com/post/19120469560/the-grateful-dead-hour-1-week-of-sept-5-1988

Essential listening.

rowjimmy

Quote from: barnesy305 on March 11, 2012, 12:53:05 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 11, 2012, 11:49:56 AM
Crossposting for kicks.

Essential listening.

Mind expanding.

rowjimmy

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 12, 2012, 08:40:59 AM

^^^^^ my thoughts exactly!!!  :-o :-o :-o :-o

dude, i just jumped out of the coma that is my bed to get on this thread and i see that visual, lol. perfect.

the reason i'm here, wow, this 10-17-70 tape, OMFG

i could go on for hours about this tape and i'm only up to Other One!

this is a grade A+ gem of a show. epic.

incredibly good recording too, compared to  most of the other auds from the era. on par with the porchester ones a few weeks later.

how about this setlist though?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---CASEY OPENER.
follow up BLazin CHINA > RIDER. best early version ive heard, -JERRY is ON...and bobby too...
then UNCLe--perfect.
hurts me too--perfect.

then EAAARLY TRUCKIN'--7th version? WHOA...>> into 1st set TOO, -----i can die now. thank you god. :syf:

::edit to add::

>>>super rare segue into sugar mags.

the other one was mind blowing. very unique, thats why i love this tour. sux you gotta dig thru the crap auds. sometimes, but these shows are soooo unique with a ton of non-traditional approaches and jams. fall 70= really the absolute peak of the original GD style imho.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

rowjimmy

Quote from: VA $l!m on March 12, 2012, 10:26:47 AM

dude, i just jumped out of the coma that is my bed to get on this thread and i see that visual, lol. perfect.

incredibly good recording too, compared to  most of the other auds from the era. on par with the porchester ones a few weeks later.

---CASEY OPENER.
follow up BLazin CHINA > RIDER. best early version ive heard, -JERRY is ON...and bobby too...
then UNCLe--perfect.
hurts me too--perfect.

then EAAARLY TRUCKIN'--7th version? WHOA...>> into 1st set TOO, -----i can die now. thank you god. :syf:

the other one was mind blowing. very unique, thats why i love this tour. sux you gotta dig thru the crap auds. sometimes, but these shows are soooo unique with a ton of non-traditional approaches and jams. fall 70= really the absolute peak of the original GD style imho.

Sweet.

That show is next on my to-do list.

natronzero

Quote from: VA $l!m on March 12, 2012, 10:26:47 AM

---CASEY OPENER.
then UNCLe--perfect.
hurts me too--perfect.

I've been rocking this show hard for the last few days too. Killer, killer show, despite the many cuts.
TOO, HTH, and Good Lovin to the end are all  :crazy:
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

VA $l!m

yeah CM did a phenominal job fixing this thing  up. the cuts are almost subliminal and if you werent a deadhead you wouldnt even notice half of them.

well, finished this up. once again, PHENOMINAL. setlist is bonkers.

i think that all you really have to listen to get an idea how hot this show is though is to listen to the crowd early in set one---subdued... then check the noise post lovelight. THey tore that hall down that night for sure.

rowjimmy

Just cranked up Casey Jones...

rowjimmy

Crazy Good Lovin' on this bitch.
When the song kicks back in, people straight freak out.

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

I had to stop on the Dark Star cos it was quitting time. Can't wait to pick it up again tomorrow.

VA $l!m

the other one and dark star really stretch.
one of the reasons i love fall 70 is b/c both of these tunes were bulging at the seams of their structure that had remained relatively the same in the early years.
you can hear in these versions jerry modulate, tempted to break the melodies. also, i think its the D Star on this one that the rhythm devolves from the normal pace and starts to 'space'/jazz out.
real interesting point in the development of the bands approach to jamming outside of structure.

rowjimmy

I finished out the show this morning and I loved it.

The Dark Star jamming is great stretched out jamming and you're right, this is a pivotal moment in their development as a band. This is still a time when the band was a psychedelic tidal wave devastating all that stood before them. It's hard to imagine, but not totally, that they are just months away from that early '71 bar band stuff we were talking about recently.

Also, you weren't kidding about the difference in crowd response from the first set to post-Lovelight. Dudes are going absolutely apeshit after Lovelight (understandably.)

VA $l!m

just re-listening a bit this morning.

from what i can find they did this CRYPT>sugar mag segue 4 times. more than i originally thought.
still, its really a sublime transition.

Though, forgoing the Cryptical ramp up to slide into the new tune. --you know, i bet there were some  heads that were like " WTF is  with all this country shit their getting into these days?" lol.