News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Netflix Recommendation Thread

Started by McGrupp, June 22, 2011, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jam>

Quote from: gah on September 11, 2017, 02:33:09 PM
James Booker was definitely a character. I don't remember if this was something I read elsewhere or from that movie, but there was a time when Jerry invited him to play a couple gigs, and they had a practice session, and James Booker treated him as if he was just some sideman that was working for HIM, and took the lead on everything, doing his own songs, and telling Jerry what to do do. James Booker...pure genius.

eta: found some more info on that session, if anyone wanted:
http://lostlivedead.blogspot.com/2012/05/january-9-10-1976-sophies-palo-alto-ca.html

I love me some James Booker. There's this classic segment as well:

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

jam>

Not exactly Netflix, but you guys have got to watch the latest episode of Broad City (season 4, episode 4). Lot's of tripping happening and a brief Phish reference. I'll say no more.

ytowndan

Anyone else watching the new Stranger Things?  I'm about halfway through and I think it's pretty great. 

[spoiler]I don't think this is really a "spoiler" per se, by there is a hilarious Goonies reference with Sean Astin early in the season.  I won't ruin it, but I thought it was good enough to warrant a mention.[/spoiler]
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

mistercharlie

Quote from: ytowndan on October 30, 2017, 07:41:28 PM
Anyone else watching the new Stranger Things?  I'm about halfway through and I think it's pretty great. 

[spoiler]I don't think this is really a "spoiler" per se, by there is a hilarious Goonies reference with Sean Astin early in the season.  I won't ruin it, but I thought it was good enough to warrant a mention.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]That "pirate's treasure" line cracked me up too.[/spoiler]

We just finished up episode six and it's still a great show, but doesn't have me as riveted as the first season. There's an 'After-Show' this year also called Beyond Stranger Things. We haven't watched any of it yet though.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mbw

House of Cards has been cancelled cause Spacey is a pederast.

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

ytowndan

Quote from: mistercharlie on October 30, 2017, 08:15:05 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on October 30, 2017, 07:41:28 PM

[spoiler]That "pirate's treasure" line cracked me up too.[/spoiler]

We just finished up episode six and it's still a great show, but doesn't have me as riveted as the first season. There's an 'After-Show' this year also called Beyond Stranger Things. We haven't watched any of it yet though.

I'm pretty much in the same boat.  I'm hoping that they finish out the Hawkins storyline this time and come back for a third season with a brand new story, kinda like American Horror Story, Fargo and True Detective. 

As for an after-show, all of those "Talking" shows burned me out on that concept.  Maybe this one's good, but I tend to see those types of shows as nothing more than a hype machine for the newtork, and in the case of AMC an excuse to sell an extra hour of commercials.  It could be cool though.  I'm not entirely allergic to the idea of it, considering that I'll watch the occasional comic-con panel.  I think I'm just sick of Chris Hardwick's Hype Machine franchise. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

emay

Finished up Stranger Things over the weekend. Not as good as the first season but it was enjoyable.
Curious to see where they can take season 3, if they are going to have one.

shoreline99

For those of us south of the great white north, the documentary of the Hip's last tour 'Long time running' was released yesterday on Netflix. Definitely worth a watch, especially if you're a Hip fan. If not, you might gain a little insight into the band and its longevity.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

PIE-GUY

Finally watched Mr. Dynamite. It's really good. Highly suggested!!

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

Mindhunter is pretty fucking cool, you guys.
I'm through ep7 (of 10) so far and I'm way hooked.

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 14, 2017, 11:58:59 AM
We love it. I think were on ep5 or 6.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

emay

Quote from: mistercharlie on November 14, 2017, 12:08:52 PM

same. on ep 4

mbw

Quote from: emay on November 14, 2017, 12:15:03 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on November 14, 2017, 12:08:52 PM

same. on ep 4

took me an episode or two, and then i binged it over a weekend.