News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Soccer Thread

Started by MiamiPhish, August 18, 2008, 03:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

yeah, agreed.  i think the play on the field left a little bit to be desired, but the drama was unmatched.

overall this womens world cup has been just amazing.  the quality of play by all the teams has been just great.  i've enjoyed watching it more than i have enjoyed the copa america thus far.  especially the knockout round.

france beats england on PKs... the japanese defeating the 2 time defending world cup champs germany in extra time, almost at the death.... and then todays usa brasil match... just amazing.

also it was awesome to watch and HEAR the german crowd getting behind the US, and at one point chanting USA USA!  although it has to be said, that brasil did themselves no favors.  they were very cynical in their play and didn't endear themselves to the fans.  the way that one girl faked injury, was carted off the field and immediately got up and came back into the game.  disgraceful.

that and the ref was terrible, absolutely terrible.  for both teams.  say what you will about the red card (i didn't think it was a foul), but the US got away with one earlier when one of them blatantly used their arm to stop a ball (which should have been a 2nd yellow & a red card).  but the retake of the penalty was crap.  AND the 2nd goal from brasil should never have happened because the girl was offside before she made the pass to marta.

all that said, marta is just amazing.  very gifted.  don't like her attitude, but she's a beast of a player.

definitely one for the books.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

runawayjimbo

Anyone watching Real Madrid-Barcelona? Messi is God.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

jedifunk

ok, so the champions league groups have been drawn and the dates have been set.  There are some really balanced and difficult groups.

GROUP A
Bayern Munich
Villarreal
Manchester City
Napoli

GROUP B
Inter Milan
CSKA Moscow
Lille
Trabzonspor

GROUP C
Manchester United
Benfica
Basle
Otelul Galati

GROUP D
Real Madrid
Lyon
Ajax
Dinamo Zagreb

GROUP E
Chelsea
Valencia
Bayer Leverkusen
Genk

GROUP F
Arsenal
Marseille
Olympiakos
Borussia Dortmund

GROUP G
Porto
Shakhtar Donetsk
Zenit St Petersburg
APOEL

GROUP H
Barcelona
AC Milan
BATE
Viktoria Plzen
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jedifunk

while my milan did draw defending champs barcelona, the rest of the group is pretty weak, so progression to the next round should be acheived.

besides, 2 matches against barca is gonna be really exciting, and i think we actually match up really well with them, and will cause them plenty of problems.

Group of Death?  My opinion is group A with bayern, villareal, man city, and napoli.  any one of those teams could win the group.
Group F is also difficult.

Easiest groups for top teams were C & D imo.  man united should have no trouble with any of those teams, and i think only lyon will challenge madrid
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

runawayjimbo

I don't follow the leagues enough to know who all those teams are but I'm pretty sure I can pick who will advance and I LOVE the Champions League. Looking forward to it.

Also, that first Real Madrid-Barca match last week was one of the greatest sporting events I've ever seen.

jedifunk

Quote from: runawayjimbo on August 25, 2011, 04:39:26 PM
Also, that first Real Madrid-Barca match last week was one of the greatest sporting events I've ever seen.
i would agree that the match was a very entertaining one.  best ever?  probably not.

BUT, at least they played the actual game.  the last several classicos between them have had little football and lots of diving/yelling/pushing/shoving.

it was an extremely entertaining match, with lots of football being played.  both teams were on the attack, which is special since mourinho usually likes to play it defensive and hit on the counter.  so it was good to see lots of attacking.

i think the match also again showed that messi is the worlds greatest player.  while ronaldo is good, he's not in the same class as messi.  its hard to compare current players to past players, but messi is certainly in the discussion as BEST EVER with pele and maradona at this point.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

runawayjimbo

Like I said, I don't watch a ton of soccer so it was way up there on my list.

It's funny, my wife's cousin who knows a lot more than me said almost the exact same thing about Mourinho. There was some great attacking on both sides. Ronaldo had a lot of chances and couldn't convert, but I love the way he unloads when he has just a half a step on his man.

Agree on Messi though. Any time I watch him he does something incredible. His goal was kinda classic Messi (to me, anyway): the ball lands in his lap, but then he makes a move and finishes the way no one else in the world could. It was David Villa's goal, though, that got the biggest HOLY SHIT from me.

I still haven't seen the second match, but I heard that one was awesome as well. I'm still looking for a replay on GolTV.

iamhydroJen

I could hear the fans screaming from my place in Sevilla!  Sevilla played Germany, score was 1-1.  Crazy hearing "GOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!" from a a little over a mile away
"Years later, I found out they'd signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.  The head of Decca, Dick Rowe, made a canny prediction: 'Guitar groups are on the way out, Mr. Epstein.'" - George Harrison

MiamiPhish

Quote from: iamhydroJen on August 25, 2011, 06:43:32 PM
I could hear the fans screaming from my place in Sevilla!  Sevilla played Germany, score was 1-1.  Crazy hearing "GOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!" from a a little over a mile away

Nice!  Found Bar Long Island yet?

iamhydroJen

Quote from: MiamiPhish on August 25, 2011, 08:05:38 PM

Haha yes I have!  We went there last Wednesday.
"Years later, I found out they'd signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.  The head of Decca, Dick Rowe, made a canny prediction: 'Guitar groups are on the way out, Mr. Epstein.'" - George Harrison

jedifunk

Quote from: iamhydroJen on August 30, 2011, 06:17:06 PM

can i just point out that sevilla can't/doesn't play germany... sevilla is a spanish club team, where as saying germany would lead one to think of the national team.  not that you didn't know that, but i'm not sure what you mean otherwise
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

iamhydroJen

Quote from: jedifunk on August 30, 2011, 06:21:53 PM
Quote from: iamhydroJen on August 30, 2011, 06:17:06 PM

can i just point out that sevilla can't/doesn't play germany... sevilla is a spanish club team, where as saying germany would lead one to think of the national team.  not that you didn't know that, but i'm not sure what you mean otherwise

http://eurorivals.net/sevilla:hannover-96-highlights-goals-video_20110825.html

should have clarified, they played Hannover (Germany)

jedifunk

no worries, i was just being a futbol snob ;)

btw, anyone else enjoy the madness that was deadline day for the summer transfer window?  just nuts... way more exciting that anything the NFL, NBA, MLB could do.

transfer winners:
- chelsea: juan mata is going to be a beast for them.

- man city: i don't like them (city), but getting aguero & nasri to go with all the other talent they have... look out, i think they might be favorites for the EPL.

- milan (disclaimer, since they are my team of choice): we were already scudetto champions, but in adding mexes & taiwo we shored up our one glaring weakness (left fullback) and added a solid 3rd CB for those days when nesta needs a rest.  then getting aquilani for almost nothing was probably the best business deal of the whole transfer window by any team.  he went to liverpool in 2009 for 20M, and we get him for at most 6M, and liverpool tried to get 16M from Juve earlier in the window!  also the last minute (literally, we got him with less than an hour left in the window) addition of nocerino for only 1M was amazing.  this guy is an italy international, and palermo gave him up for 1M + 50% of a youth player, just fucking crazy.  lastly, we added one of the brightest young stars in italy in stephen el shaarawy for a little extra in attack.  he's only 18 and we beat out chelsea, juve, and inter to sign him.  I think we can be considered serious challengers for the champions league now, and would say only barcelona & real madrid have better squads than us.

meh:
- liverpool: at least they recognized where they needed help (midfield).  but then they went and bought like 500 guys.  they'll need to play a rediculous 3-5-2 formation to get all those guys enough playing time, and that formation won't fly in the EPL.

- juventus: they spent a LOT of money, and brought in a LOT of new players (15 i think) and they have a new coach.  all that turn over is going to take some time to gel, and coaches don't usually get that sort of time at juve.  getting pirlo is nice, but his days at milan were done, and his best days are past him. that said i think vidal is gonna be a beast of a player in serie a, and he looked good last season at bayer leverkusen (germany) and also this summer at the copa america for chile.  only time will tell how things work out.

losers:
- arsenal: when you lose fabregas & nasri, you've had a bad transfer window.  when it happens 1 week before the end of the window its even worse.  all the good players were already taken, and then they were forced to overpay for who they got.  that said, i think gervinho will be a star and should be good for at least 15+ goals a season.

- inter: they lost eto'o, he who scored 37 times in 49 matches last season.  they did add new strikers in forlan & zarate, but forlan is on the wrong side of 30, and hasn't been nearly as dangerous as he was at the world cup.  and zarate, well he's a headcase and way too inconsistent to be relied upon.  they also added ricky alvarez from river plate (argentina) but we'll see how that works out.  also their new coach is switching to a 3-5-3 formation which requires certain types of players for it to work, and they didn't get enough to make it work. besides its mandatory that i hate inter!

anyone have any thoughts, or am i the only real serious soccer fan around these parts?
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

iamhydroJen

Quote from: jedifunk on September 02, 2011, 02:11:51 PM
no worries, i was just being a futbol snob ;)

We need more people like you!!   :-) I played soccer for 12 years but I don't follow the sport

runawayjimbo

jedi, you're definitely way over my head when it comes to this, but I do try to keep up with it so this was much easier getting the Cliffs Notes version from you rather than having to go to 50 different soccer websites. +k

I think you're right about Forlan, but I just can't get some of those World Cup heroics out of my head. That 3rd place game was one of the most entertaining games of a great tournament and watching him hit the crossbar in extra time was just painful.