News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker discussion

Started by mistercharlie, December 22, 2019, 10:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

Starting this thread so that we can still open the other Star Wars thread to talk about The Mandalorian without worrying about spoiling the new movie before we see it.

We plan on seeing it in a few weeks, once the crowds are smaller.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

GBL

I'm not sure if I should see this or Cats first
If this is love, I'm never going home..

Hicks

Quote from: mistercharlie on December 22, 2019, 10:59:55 AM
Starting this thread so that we can still open the other Star Wars thread to talk about The Mandalorian without worrying about spoiling the new movie before we see it.

We plan on seeing it in a few weeks, once the crowds are smaller.

Weeks?

Theater I was in today was full but not sold out.

My favorite part was when he went to Chimpy's Mask Repair. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

I guess that means MC will not be coming back to this thread for a few weeks, which means we have lots of time to talk about him while he's gone.
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

Also, Star Wars Burning Man was cool.

Also, also, I think I officially don't like JJ Abrams. Something about his choices just feel so obvious and perfunctory.
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

I believe I'm in agreement with you about Abrams insofar as I attribute a lot of the story decisions (as well as broader strokes about arc and pacing, and just helming responsibility in general) to him. I felt that the film was just packed with arbitrary and constantly shifting developments. It needed to breathe more. I needed to buy into the necessity of things more.

That said, I liked this one more than Last Jedi, no doubt. It had to help that I deliberately went in with rock-bottom expectations, and I grant Abrams and co. some slack given the situation they inherited. I'm thankful for the enjoyment and entertainment I've gotten out of the Star Wars universe over the years.
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

I also liked the part where Chewie won the People's Choice Award. 

antelope19

Quote from: VDB on December 23, 2019, 12:50:08 AM
I believe I'm in agreement with you about Abrams insofar as I attribute a lot of the story decisions (as well as broader strokes about arc and pacing, and just helming responsibility in general) to him. I felt that the film was just packed with arbitrary and constantly shifting developments. It needed to breathe more. I needed to buy into the necessity of things more.

That said, I liked this one more than Last Jedi, no doubt. It had to help that I deliberately went in with rock-bottom expectations, and I grant Abrams and co. some slack given the situation they inherited. I'm thankful for the enjoyment and entertainment I've gotten out of the Star Wars universe over the years.

While I agree about the "time to breathe" thing, his options were to make a film that was as long as Return of the King or a 2 part finale like in The Hobbit. I feel like he would've been crushed for either.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

tet

personally, I never had a problem with TLJ, but I understand why people did.  so, all of the rushed "fixes" to it here were understandable, and I'm not sure what else could have been done with what he inherited. 

I enjoyed this a lot as an end to the saga.  Some really fantastic moments, lots of nostalgia, and just a wonderful yet bittersweet sendoff.  Left the theater with a huge smile.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

Bobafett

Just saw it.   I agree with the previous sentiments on the pacing.   Oh this new chick,  oh ok.   Oh this new planet and all these former stormtroopers, oh ok.    These palpating disciples, oh ok.   The nostalgia seemed rather forced in too.   I will rank the top 5 of the Star Wars galaxy.  Empire, return, new hope, rogue one, Star Wars Christmas
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

antelope19

Quote from: Bobafett on January 01, 2020, 07:42:46 PM
Just saw it.   I agree with the previous sentiments on the pacing.   Oh this new chick,  oh ok.   Oh this new planet and all these former stormtroopers, oh ok.    These palpating disciples, oh ok.   The nostalgia seemed rather forced in too.   I will rank the top 5 of the Star Wars galaxy.  Empire, return, new hope, rogue one, Star Wars Christmas

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

cactusfan

There's no way you actually watched all of the Star Wars Christmas Special. It can't be done.

kellerb

Quote from: cactusfan on January 04, 2020, 08:55:55 PM

There's no way you actually watched all of the Star Wars Christmas Special. It can't be done.

Maybe Bobafett just has more holiday spirit than you  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Bobafett

Quote from: kellerb on January 05, 2020, 10:58:22 AM
Quote from: cactusfan on January 04, 2020, 08:55:55 PM

Maybe Bobafett just has more holiday spirit than you  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

No, no....he actually called my bluff.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

sunrisevt

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.