News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R13/W03: 11/18/96, Mid South Coliseum, Memphis, TN

Started by birdman, October 23, 2011, 10:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. Augusto

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 24, 2011, 11:13:32 AM
I listened to this show and it was not as bad as the rest of the bullshit in the club so far.

The fact that I even listened to it says something.

It didn't do a whole lot for me but it did, at least, sound like Phish back when they still remembered how to play their songs. Honestly, though, I don't think I noticed any actual highlights. It was just sorta playing the whole morning and never really demanded anything of me. Sorta like an easy listening station at the Dentist.

Didn't like the 2001 > Simple?

rowjimmy

Quote from: G. Augusto on October 24, 2011, 01:01:45 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on October 24, 2011, 11:13:32 AM
I listened to this show and it was not as bad as the rest of the bullshit in the club so far.

The fact that I even listened to it says something.

It didn't do a whole lot for me but it did, at least, sound like Phish back when they still remembered how to play their songs. Honestly, though, I don't think I noticed any actual highlights. It was just sorta playing the whole morning and never really demanded anything of me. Sorta like an easy listening station at the Dentist.

Didn't like the 2001 > Simple?

It was all right.

susep

I love Fall '96, pumped to hear this, first need to write last week(3.0) :frustrated:

G. Augusto

I literally had this show queued up right after 06-15-2011 and Trey's tone alone was quite the welcome.

rowjimmy

Quote from: G. Augusto on October 24, 2011, 02:16:35 PM
I literally had this show queued up right after 06-15-2011 and Trey's tone alone was quite the welcome.

I'm sure if I'd done an A/B with 3.0/1996 I'd jump for joy but... I did not.

cactusfan

This wasn't the worst show ever.

But I didn't like it as much as Aug.
First set has a nice little Timber, and most everything sounds fine, with some fire in the Chalkdust and Zero, but nothing really stands out.

I love the Simple in set II, yet in listening to it here in its natural habitat, I kind of get what RJ is saying about the whole set just washing over him. Somehow in this context the Simple gets a little lost. The 2001 is good, but again not really a stand-out.

Once it gets into Tweezer and the horn shows up the set just kind of fizzles out.

sophist

I'm with RJ here.  Not much going on with this show.  Some very cool moments, but more than anything, I found it boring.  I will say I have mixed feelings about that 2001.  At times, very cool, and at other points it tittered on wankery for me.  The Simple was easily the highlight of the show.  The thing here is that it isn't even sloppy, it is just pedantic Phish, which is boring to me.  The horn guy is annoying to me as well.  Stop with the quasi Miles sound.  It adds nothing. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: sophist on October 25, 2011, 03:36:06 PM
I'm with RJ here.  Not much going on with this show.  Some very cool moments, but more than anything, I found it boring.  I will say I have mixed feelings about that 2001.  At times, very cool, and at other points it tittered on wankery for me.  The Simple was easily the highlight of the show.  The thing here is that it isn't even sloppy, it is just pedantic Phish, which is boring to me.  The horn guy is annoying to me as well.  Stop with the quasi Miles sound.  It adds nothing.
:-o
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

kellerb

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on October 25, 2011, 08:29:06 PM

I like titter wankery

rowjimmy

Quote from: kellerb on October 25, 2011, 09:35:45 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on October 25, 2011, 08:29:06 PM

I like titter wankery

I teeter on tittering at the word "wank".

whatapiper

CTB - par for the course but fun nonetheless.  Trey slightly distorted tone, rolls nicely into an early show >

Timber - fish starting strong with heavy rolling intro .  Dark and sinister leads by Trey.  I really enjoy the 96 Timbers.   A slow tension build before setting up....

Poor Heart - not particularly note worthy but still in consistent rotation and played well.

Taste - one of my favorite first set "filler" songs.  Love Treys old tone here, not too memorable but a solid version with well executed ending.

Billy Breaths - throw the hate my way but I've always been able to tolerate BB.   It definitely brings me right back to 96 everytime I hear it.   With that said this one does not deliver the tear jerking solo I'd hoped for

Chalkdust -  great flow to the set thus far.  Energy gets picked up and once the jam starts has quite the old school vibe.   Gets dark and gritty before a Page slamming finale. 

Guelah - Still a frequent first set number that shows with the bands comfortability. 

Ginseng Sullivan - another staple and not what I'd be looking for after Guelah.   On a positive Mikes voice does sound great

Reba - nice pickup after Ginseng.  Takes Trey a while to get comfortable in the composed section.     Page and Trey building off each other nicely.   Slow and beautiful melodic build to the peak of the jam.

Zero - it happens

2001 - is there a better way to start a 2nd set?  Bluesy noodling and pre intro ala Bowie is a treat.   Fish playing around with the beat and extra Page effects have made this interesting 

Simple - a 3.0 favorite but less so at the time.   Higher tempo to the jam then starts to settle at the 7-8 min mark while Page takes lead.   New theme developing around the 9-10 min mark.  Sounds like a Disease jam around 13+.    Really nice here then a slow looping drop into >

Swept Away > Steep - yep

Mule - this set is quickly headed in the wrong direction.   Having said that who doesn't love vocal Manteca teases?  The rest is pretty much unlistenable until they re ride the mule.

Tweezer - back on track and redemption time.   Again an earlier vibe to this show, then wiped out by the guest appearance.  Trey lays down a funky undertone to the soloing brass.  As the brass fades Trey leads in pretty  straight forward.  Not the Tweezer I wanted.

Hello My Baby - yep

Tweeprise - liking the quick placement and thinking encore break

Llama - nice added bonus of straight Rawk to shut her down, again not feeling the guest appearance here. 

Waste - dig it

Johnny B Goode - too fast for Trey to remember the words.   Rawk as usual

Overall don't see the hate.   Good flow to the first set with Timber as the highlight.   2nd set fell flat after the sick 2001 > Simple combo.  Simple was the easy show highlight.   Overall I give this one a B

If this show gives us any new perspective on the current state of Phish it's not a pretty one.

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

susep

18Nov.1996   Memphis  TN

I

CTB - in support of Billy Breathes, Trey sharking in, howling leads, great way to start up the energy, into

Timber - ahh yeah, Fall '96 is a great tour for this tune, Trey leads in at 1:15, Fishman feeling it, phyrigian lines by Trey, Trey w/ fat, juicly, angular lines, fluid Trey, ascends quickly up the 'doc, Trey hitting some nice peaks, nice sustain and use of feedback, slight flubbage near 3:48, Trey circling above, nice mini-Stash build, 31Oct.1994 WMGGW intensity from Trey, sick version w/ tons of creative playing by Trey into

Poor Heart - jamboree, Trey rips his solo to shreds, great swing, high energy Page, solid.

Taste - this tune peaked in the Summer of '97 imo, this was year two of the Fog, Trey leads in near 3:57, nice Trey, nice builds by Trey, Stash like build, jam doesn't peak especially well, crowd loves it, into

Billy Breathes - nice lullaby

Chalk Dust - bring back the E, funky intro, Trey really feeling it, Trey leads in near 2:57, great lead in(listen), accentuation of the 'dust riff, Trey gets bogged down in a darker space for a few seconds, jam continues to hover above a dissonance, jam quickens near 5:45, rock peak at 6:00, Trey blazing, height of his technique before the funk, sick Fishman, decent peak, better then Taste, good, into

Guelah - nice Nectar duo, give heads time to recreate, complete w/ the signature Fall '96 "voo-voo" in some jams/tunes, into

Ginseng - yawn, solid Page solo into

Reba - jam begins near 6:05, patient opening, stealthy Page, Mike and Trey experimenting, Fish lightly pushing the curtains of time, Lowell like space near 8:12, mellow build approaching 10:00, Trey moaning, Page laying low, Trey beginning to burn near 10:45, Trey trilling, finally emerges, diving, swirling lines by Trey, nice full band peak, Trey ascends near the note, Page raging, nice peak/run by Trey, very nice into

Character Zero - set ender

II

2001 - here the early seeds of the funk, compare this version to 1 year later 19Nov.1997, extended intro, Halloween vibe near 3:00, they finally drop in near 3:33, disjointed jamming, whereas in other Fall '96 versions Trey hit his wha-wha more on rythym this one he's experimenting more w/ effects and lines, gets into funk briefly near 8:00 before the crescendo, more cohesive funk, Trey mixing it up, nice 2 minute funk jam, into

Simple - jam begins near 3:54, solid Mike(low in the mix), Trey starting to tap in it, great tone by Trey, siren like effect, Trey jumps on the mini-kit, Page playing straight over weird bed laid by Mike and Fish, Trey's mini accents adds to the trippyness, cool howling loop underneath, Trey back on the 'doc near 10:00, Trey laying out a riff but is getting restless, Mike awaiting lift-off, Trey high bends near 12:00, jam increases slightly, Trey ascending near 13:00+, not hitting a lot of notes per se, mostly bends, "ooooooh, oooooooh" underneath subtley, Trey taking it on a Reba like peak, Paradiso Carini jam like effect into

Swept Away- can still hear the previous jam/loop in background before Trey comes in,

Steep - yup

Mule - nice energy picker upper but I prefer to hear this in the first set if at all, vocal jam near 5:20, sweet crowd assimilation, back into Mule near 9:27, unique jam.

Tweezer - the ease into the jam near 4:26, Trey immediately makes his presence known, Gazaway comes in and f's everything up, Trey hitting the rythym, the band sounding like they want to blow him up off the stage, not even in the same league musically although Gaz did help augment their RIL set, Trey ripping it before Gaz tries to match and Trey trills his way over the top, jam mellows near 10:00+, cool outro beat/groove between Mike and Fish,

Hello My Baby - one of my fav. acapella

Tweezer reprise - wtf?

Llama - Gaz takes first solo, doesn't really have the chops for this tune, Trey leads in near 1:58 to melt Gazaway's face, ouch Gaz, know when not to play, "thanks everybody"

E

Waste - walk out early?

Johnny B Goode - not a fan of Phish's cover(see Hendrix 30May1970 for the definitive cover version) although Trey does a decent job at ripping it up.

Interesting first set, my highlights are Timber, Chalk Dust and Reba.  this set reminded me of a 3.0 set in that the jamming was straight ahead, I could hear influences of Stash in a few jams.  whereas 3.0 Trey's playing sounds contrived and creatively flat which is an obvious attribute of his current technique, whereas here he sounds at the height of his prowess w/ great angular melodicism and high energy bends.  Reba for ex. has a superb peak where Trey is so high above he literally falls into the peak like a wave.  I've heard better 2001s from this tour(see 6Dec. or 31Oct.) but this one was ok w/ the last 2 minutes featuring some tasty funk that would pervade in '97.  Simple again was ok, mostly Trey led sustain jamming, really early germination for things to come in '97 and beyond.  besides the neat little vocal jam in Mule the rest of set II was a big fat meh.

score:  B-/B

DoW

I'm behind schedule as usual.
this show was a welcome listen after the first 2 weeks picks.  I hate sit ins for shows.  I'd rather see "phish" play a show.  but I hear they are no longer phish in 2011 so I am not sure what to think anymore.
first set was nothing really special.  it was a nice start with CTB and Timber.  it is a nice way to start the show and they were played for what they are.  then the rest of the set was just up and down.  I don't like poor heart so I ahve nothing to say about it.  taste was ok but nothing special in this versions.  billy breathes was meh.  I guess they need to play it sometimes and it never really fits in well.  chalkdust was good.  guelah and ginseng bring it back down.  reba was good.  I just hated they ended it right into zero.  if you are going to suck, at least pause for 10 seconds before starting it.

2nd set starts real good with 2001>simple.  I really enjoy this simple.  one of those jams where you just catch yourself smiling during it.  swept, steep and mule don't do it for me.  then the sit in begins and takes away from a "phish" show for me.  I actually really enjoyed the tweezer and liked what the trumpet added to it.  rest of the set is just bad.  llama was ok but not good.

not sure I can come up with a worse two song combo for an encore than waste and jonny b goode.  but it does sum up the show as it was up and down all night.

I give this a C as I liked the highlights.  the show was subpar but the highlights were good.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate