News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

paug art gallery

Started by jedifunk, April 29, 2008, 08:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

That's really well done VDB.  :clap:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mbw

emay

Good stuff! Keep it up

ytowndan

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

VDB

Thanks, folks. It's been fun getting back into painting for the first time since, basically, high school. More to come, I hope.
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VDB

Just screwing around on the computer tonight.

Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

Cool stuff, VDB. And your oil painting really sheds some light on your Bob Ross obsession.

Keep it up!
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

VDB

Quote from: runawayjimbo on June 02, 2016, 10:01:19 AM
And your oil painting really sheds some light on your Bob Ross obsession.

I think you could say it's the other way around.

Thanks for the kindness, J.
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

Just a little desert landscape to facilitate experimenting with black canvases.
Is this still Wombat?

emay

:-o

woah thats beautiful! you sellin any prints?

VDB

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on June 12, 2016, 02:16:32 PM
:-o

woah thats beautiful! you sellin any prints?

Thanks!
And I haven't given it much mind . . . I think I'm still a good ways away from commercial-grade output.
Is this still Wombat?

gah

Quote from: VDB on June 12, 2016, 01:48:40 PM

Just a little desert landscape to facilitate experimenting with black canvases.

that's real nice man. real nice. keep them coming.

let me ask, how long does a piece like that take you? Also, do you have a photo you maybe use as a base, or is it completely coming from your imagination? Or do you have a mental photo in mind, or a place you are pulling from memory?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

VDB

Hey, thanks A!

I got the inspiration for this one from the Bob Ross episode "Cactus at Sunset". Mainly chosen because I wanted to try the black canvas technique, and I also liked the way he did the clouds. Beyond that I did my own thing. I consulted Google Image Search a couple times when I was having trouble with the water, and to decide how aggressively I wanted to tackle the desert floor (behold my elegant solution).

This was done in several sittings over multiple days, as time and desire permitted. I don't know exactly how long, but it ended up taking several hours, due to wrestling with things like the river and cliffs and also completely re-doing the sky after not liking it the first time around (I did leave one little remnant, which had been just a happy accident, in the upper right area).

Of course, if you just want to crank out a by-the-book Bob Ross canvas, you can do that in 27 minutes if you can keep up, or a little longer if you need to pause.

Is this still Wombat?

gah

Several hours? 27 minutes at a quick pace? Whoa man, I was thinking like a few weeks an hour or two a night. Seems I grossly over-estimated either a. your talent and/or b. how easy painting is.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard  Seriously though, looks good. It reminds me of that book The Road (Cormac McCarthy), although the book was much darker than the painting represents, still...reminded of it for some reason.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.