News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/16 - Fox Theatre - St. Louis, MO - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Rift, June 17, 2009, 01:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumbo72203

Quote from: blatboom on June 18, 2009, 09:56:58 AM

they skipped those big chords that they usually play in the latter years and went straight to the old-school change (the one before the extra jam they used to tack on the end).. you'll know what I mean when you hear it.

its the tramps-closing chords they've ditched, for whatever reason.  Trey just haphazardly slams into the TRUE Mike's Song ending.  

Interesting that you like this Mike's Song, Matt; I thought it was horrible on my first listen.  Of course I'll be going back again, but from listening to it, i thought it went absolutely nowhere and Trey just randomly decides to stumble into the ending chords.

Hydrogen was a little sloppy too...  nothing too bad, though; CERTAINLY better than anything PH.  I don't remember Weekapaug.

Halley's i thought could have also been better than it was, although it was definitely enjoyable.  They had a wicked cool thing going and then Trey I guess decides he's had enough spaced-ness and wants to rock.  Jim is great, though; certainly the proper way to start a set off.

Frankie Says was well-played, given the circumstances; i believe this was only done like, twice, PH?  i don't remember.  

but see...  the thing is, Phish (or at least Trey) thinks TTE rules and is high-energy, so thats why they dropped Sleep afterwards, as a breather, finally.

The encore was interesting; I was DEFINITELY surprised by how well McGrupp was done.  It wasn't absolutely perfect, but there were no train-wrecks, unless you count the end of the jam, lol.  It was hilarious though when I finally saw the setlist, because I actually screamed "No way!!!!" and woke my girlfriend up...  lol

HOWEVER...   I have to say that Trey ruined the really cool part in the song before the pre-jam reprise of the post-intro bit, where they do the crazy stilt-walking part (thats what it makes me think of... ) and ends with Trey and Page hitting two REALLY high notes.  pH, when they would play it, they would build up to the first note, which would be cut off quickly; no sustain.  The 2nd note would then be slid down the neck.

On this version, Trey slides down each note, and it REALLY ruins the whole concept of that segment of music, imo.  That actually really disappointed me, because thats one of my favorite parts of the song.   :|

"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gumbo72203

Haha, funny story....

because actually, it must have been good, because while I was listening to it at work, I was ringing out this guy who was buying guitar strings for his kid.  He was all decked out in a suit and tie with those long overcoat trench-coat shits, with his hair slicked back; total straight corporate look.

anyway, out of the blue he asks me "Who is this?  This is really good"  and I told him that it was Phish, and then he actually grabbed a pen and a piece of paper, to write it down on, and he's like "Whats it called?"  Lol...  and at this point, I crack a big grin and start laughing, and I'm like "Well....  uhh...  McGrupp....  and the...   Watchful...   Hosemasters."

lol.  SO FUNNY.  it was a hilarious moment.  If there was ever a song name for a moment like Phish, where a corporate suit wants to know the name of the song he's listening to, this might just take the cake, because its also one of the longest name of any Phish song.  It was great, though.  I said "Its basically like a spoof on McGruff, the crime dog."  I didn't bother going into Gamehendge, though... lol.

anyway, so he's laughing with me and is like "haha okay, so what album is this on?"  this made me laugh for two reasons:  1) because it was a live show and 2) because its actually not on any album.  This blew him away, lol.  I'm like "uhh....  this is actually...  (as i run to look at a calendar) from Tuesday's show."  and he's like "WHAT?!?  Wow!!  So its like a bootleg?"  and again i start laughing, and go "Nah, Phish actually records and releases the soundboard tape from every show, online."  And he's like, completely blown away by this, lol.  I tell him its livephish.com and then him and his son start leaving. 

As they walk out though, he stops dead in his tracks, spins around and looks at me, and he's like "Is this...?"  and i'm like "Yup.  While My Guitar Gently Weeps.  This is actually all the encore from the show."  And he just smiles, shakes his head going "Wow."  he was like, completely blown away by that, lol. 

It was cool though, because he actually was REALLY excited, though.  He came in during the section that leads into the jam, which is right after the two-high-note part i was talking about earlier, and ended up staying for the whole song. 

So...  apparently Phish is doing SOMETHING right, if they're able to impress and astound every day-ers and non-Phans.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

susep

16June09 - St. Louis

Source:neumann km150 actives(ortf OTS-LOL LOB under balcony)>722 @ 24/48

I.

KDF - really liked the 'roo version, cool riff by Trey, somehow harkening back to the Letter To Jimmy Page days, definitely has the same jam as Birds, this one will certainly continue to grow, Trey playing very well, now the continous playing on tour reflects more fluidity, nice Birds mini peak, out of the new tunes I dig this one near the top next to TTE.

Ocelot - a fun singing tune, like KDF this one will eventually mutate.  Trey pulling out all of his stops at the end.  Nice theatre version w/ some chunky moments.

Brian and Robert - interesting choice into mellowness,

Sample - Phish's Sugar Magnolia?

Rift - nice version.

Ya Mar - nice run of tunes in A, abbreviated version but still fun.

Reba - decent but nothing that left me agasp.

Train Song - love this tune.  Loud near the tapers, "Go Romeo!"

Horn - into >

Possum - quick intro, color green, nice 94 style peak near the end.  Great crowd participation. 

Slave - some early flubbage, from there seemed ok but the ending outro was weak. 

II.

Halley's - jam begins nicely, Trey running his now standard lead style jamming, compared to the other eras of Trey's evolution, this stage is less.  W/ a nice groove est. w/ his previous lines Trey morphs into a few whale tones before lifting off.  Near the end its cool to hear Trey step back as the jam sounds more interesting, Page finally coming out, Fish w/ a nice trippy beat into

Jim - nice choice in modulation, Trey sounding thick out of his first solo, "too many notes"

Frankie Says - Nice trippy Page in intro, actually really dig this tune as well, the 4Nov.98 Denver, CO version is a must have w/ extended ambient jam.  Trey and Page do a preety good job tripping out the outro.

Time Turns Elastic - beside KDF, I really like this new Phish song, I'd rather here this new original over Fluffhead anyday, his lryics describing Vermont Autumn are for his own metamorphosis, minor flubbage, 10:36 onward love the cool McCartney style break, this one better played at a lower frequency.

Sleep - definitely a fav. of their ballad/mellow cuts, sometimes I wonder if Trey is falling asleep on this tour?

Mike's > maybe not.  Phish getting their groove on, Trey w/ a very strange riff in this opening jam, somewhere between lame and a different guitarist other then Trey, I mean he's playing notes but he's not really doing anything, a couple of times he slipped out of key, not sounding very inspired, Trey at least, trying to build a peak/crescend, not a lot of that organic inertia that could summons on whim, crowd losing it, awkward gear switch into >

H2 >

"Paug - besides the ending of Halley's they settle into a nice pocket, more boring Trey soloing results, not a lot of variation here, Trey might hit on a good line here or there but overall empty calories

Boogie On - Mike's bass sounds dope and Trey actually sounds on in this one.

Zero - night night.

E

SSB - I'd love to be in an acapella group.

McGrupp - love maj7s

WMGGW - some preety nice sustain by Trey, worthy effort.

Overall average show imo, I was expecting more in Halley's but the jam simply didn't go anywhere except in a fairly straight line.   

PIE-GUY

I had my ipod on random for the flight home last night and this version of KDF came up... Man, does this LP release sound like shite.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul