News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Have you heard about...? (Politics edition)

Started by VDB, November 30, 2010, 10:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

And I'm just saying that your harping on his residence is neither accurate nor material especially given all of the other reasons to hate the guy.

VDB

Me hating the guy or not wasn't the thrust of that particular remark, however.

eta: Of course, I still agree there are plenty of reasons not to be an Eric Holder fan. Obvs.
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

runawayjimbo

Former VA Gov Bob McDonnell convicted on all 11 counts of corruption. I wonder if he'll chalk this up to "it's all my wife's fault" too.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

rowjimmy

Quote from: runawayjimbo on September 04, 2014, 03:21:12 PM
Former VA Gov Bob McDonnell convicted on all 11 counts of corruption. I wonder if he'll chalk this up to "it's all my wife's fault" too.

A little surprised that he didn't squeak by on this one.

Dude was always among the worst in VA government... Nice to see he will be remembered correctly.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 04, 2014, 03:49:26 PM

Dude was always among the worst in VA government... Nice to see he will be remembered correctly.

Me too. It always appeared to me that he was pretty goddamned guilty (although I haven't been following the case that closely), but scumbags like that always seem to walk. Glad he'll get his due.

Apparently he turned down an offer that would have had him plead guilty to one count of corruption and get all charges against his wife dropped. He chose to go to court and now she's guilty on 8 of 13 counts as well. What a dick.

rowjimmy

Quote from: runawayjimbo on September 04, 2014, 04:03:35 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on September 04, 2014, 03:49:26 PM

Me too. It always appeared to me that he was pretty goddamned guilty (although I haven't been following the case that closely), but scumbags like that always seem to walk. Glad he'll get his due.

Apparently he turned down an offer that would have had him plead guilty to one count of corruption and get all charges against his wife dropped. He chose to go to court and now she's guilty on 8 of 13 counts as well. What a dick.

She sounds pretty horrible too, based on what we've learned from the trial.

runawayjimbo

I'm shocked - SHOCKED - that Republicans caved in their opposition to extending the grossly cronyist and gratuitous Export-Import Bank right before an election (one in which they like their chances). I am not, however, shocked that they simply kicked the can to next summer after the election.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/house-gop-extend-export-import-bank-authority-25376358

House GOP to Extend Export-Import Bank Authority

House Republicans moved Tuesday to extend the authority of the Export-Import Bank this month as part of a government-wide funding bill needed to prevent a shutdown at month's end.

Republicans unveiled the measure, which would extend the bank's charter through June 30, 2015, late Tuesday. House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, had telegraphed the move earlier in the day when he told reporters that even a powerful foe of the bank, Financial Services Committee Chairman Jeb Hensarling, R-Texas, believed a temporary extension was in order.

The bank, which helps finance foreign purchases of U.S. exports, has badly divided Republicans, with many conservatives favoring letting its charter expire. But it has widespread support from Democrats and traditional pro-business Republicans. Democrats failed in an attempt to pressure GOP leaders into passing a long-term, five-year extension of the bank.

"I'm working with Chairman Hensarling. He thinks a temporary extension of the Export-Import Bank is in order," Boehner said.

A short-term renewal of the bank's charter would give lawmakers more time to try to forge consensus on whether to pass a long-term extension of the bank while overhauling its powers. Some Republicans said an extension into June would provide an even playing field for opponents and supporters of the bank to make their case.

Some bank supporters, however, feared opponents like Hensarling would gain leverage as the issue was considered on its own instead of in the context of a stopgap spending bill or some other must-pass legislation. And there's a good chance that Republicans will recapture the Senate, empowering skeptics of the bank.

The bank provides loans, credit insurance and loan guarantees to help foreign buyers purchase U.S. exports. It helped finance $37 billion in exports last year. Critics say it distorts markets and that too much of its help benefits large corporations like Boeing. Some U.S. businesses, including airlines, say the bank effectively subsidizes foreign competitors.

Hensarling, in a recent statement, said the bank provides "foreign corporate welfare that advantages a handful of powerful, politically-connected corporations."

Supporters of the bank say its financing of exports helps create jobs and that its help isn't limited to Fortune 500 corporations.

Rep. John Fleming, R-La., said he opposes reauthorizing the bank, but wants to avoid a potential government shutdown and so is open to the possibility of a short-term extension if the ultimate aim is to close the bank.

"I'm going to keep an open mind about it," Fleming said. "I think it's a good idea not to make it an election-year issue, but on the other hand I definitely oppose it, the reauthorization."

runawayjimbo

More advisors in Iraq (I've lost count at this point) to help pursue a strategy that has been successful in Yemen and Somalia. Those shining examples of success.

But don't worry: Newt Gingrich LOVED the speech and is grateful for Obama signaling American strength. So there's that.

VDB

"Signaling" and "optics" is what people seem to care most about these days.
Is this still Wombat?

mbw

mattstick

Sorry comedy world, Rob Ford withdrew from the Toronto Mayoral race - likely to have his brother run instead.

runawayjimbo

Massive bombing campaign began in Syria last night. But please, whatever you do, don't use that 3-lettered "W" word.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/24/world/middleeast/us-isis-syria.html

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.