News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Guilty Pleasure Band?

Started by antelope19, November 16, 2005, 08:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

Anyone here have anything they want to get off of their chest?  Been listening to something, but are afraid to tell anyone?  :roll: Well, I'm here to tell you that its ok.  I guess since I am starting this thread, I'll be the first in confessional.  You can find me rockin' out to queen sometimes. :-o  They kinda rock actually. :-P
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mattstick

"alternative" that went mainstream is my guilty pleasure: The Postal Service, Rilo Kiley, Liz Phair

and sweet female country/bluegrass singers like Alison Krauss and Gillian Welch

jedifunk

mmm, i love me some good queen & postal service...

have to say based on whats on my iPod right now, that coldplay is my guilty pleasure... they just make good music.  close 2nd & 3rd are maroon 5 & the killers.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

antelope19

Geez, apparently I have more "Guilty Pleasures" than I had originally thought.  IMO, there's nothing wrong with liking Alison Krauss.  She has a beautiful voice and was on Hoist.  hahahaha, and I would also agree with Coldplay, while they are "mainstream" they do make good music.  I enjoy listening to them on occasion.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Alumni

OK, here's a *guilty* pleasure. Brad Paisley. Don't care what anyone says about the rest of contemporary country (or country period). The man can play guitar, so he's okay by me.

Cause I got a degree

sls.stormyrider

Of course everything that I listen to is cool :wink:

This moring, something from Macy Gray's 1st cd came up on the shuffle in my ipod. It was pop, but I like that album. Tight band, funk reminiscent of the pre disco era.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Itsnotanexperience

SteveVai/JoeSatriani........

Vai was Zappa's primary gunslinger for years.......got the gig w/ Zappa by transcribing all of Zappa's most difficult compositions..........muthafucka can
flat-out play.............but he is a shredder, and most of my band, friends, etc.,
think he completely lacks soul.............yeah, maybe..........but shred is expression,
and the guy plays w/ such a sense of humor, it's infectious at times.......

Satch - yeah..........what can I say..........I used to shred myself, and it's b/c of these two guys..............

hate 'em/love 'em/hate 'em/love 'em......

BTW - Queen rocks............

hachiemachie

I've got to admit...Phish is a guilty pleasure band for me (actually, I don't feel so guilty about it). In my little circle of friends, however, I'm the only person who doesn't hate Phish, which is why I like this board so much. I can't discuss this stuff with anyone I know.

In a sort of related matter, anyone interested in broadening their horizons should check out the new Animal Collective album "Feels". It's pretty amazing, and I could see Siket Disc-type Phish fans digging it.

CRAZYED

I went and saw some band last night called King's X.  They're pretty hardcore I guess, heavy rock.  Went with some dude I work with, I guess just looking to change it up compared to the usual hippie/jam scene.  It was interesting, I havent been to a show like that in a long time.  Not really my thing but a few of their studio albums are OK and i've been listening to them on my ipod.

Itsnotanexperience

King's X(!!!!!!)   what a total trip.............i was big into King's X back
in '91............hardcore?  Maybe, if they've gotten grugier than they
once were...........you'd be hard-pressed to find a better fret-master
than Ty Tabor, though.........guy's got unreal tone, great feel and
technique.......the guy's a monster......

Not sure what they're up to now, but these guys used to be hardcore
Christian rockers...............

VA $l!m

King's -X def. christian rockers... alot of the Rush heads like myself heard of them...i think i had one of there CDs once...it was horreeblah.

Personally guilty pleasures...NO question...i'm a commercail Hip hop, rap, and R & B phreak.  I like all the old school good stuff, but also seem to have an extremely high tolerance for 'lesser'-quality new stuff as well.
If you got good ears, you could catch me bouncin' to some MC in my alero. :oops:   :lol: 8-)
or you never know, maybe some Paulwall baby...
Yuh- yuh- grillzz, yuh- yuh- yuh- grillllzzzzzz :-D :-D. :mrgreen:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

jedifunk

ive got macy gray's 1st cd on my ipod too!
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

CRAZYED

Yeah you guys hit the nail on the head on the King's X on describing them.  The guy I went with is a big rush fan and I saw a few others with Rush tour shirts on as well.  They played this tiny club, prolly 75-100 peeps in a suburb of milwaukee.  I guess last night was their 25th anniversery show too.

Ty is definatly a solid guitarist, I just wish they'd take their music a bit furthur......being a phan I was looking for the ripping solo and a bit more exploration.   

jam>

Itsnotanexperience

The thing that's always driven me nuts w/ King's X is that they'll have
a great riff, and then a horrible chorus..........or a great chorus and a shitty riff....plus, i was never too thrilled w/ the vocals....