News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W04: 12-09-1997 Bryce Jordan Center, State College, PA

Started by disco, June 04, 2006, 11:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

Quote from: jedifunk on June 09, 2006, 12:23:39 AM
nov 16 - TIMBER!  that shit went deeeeep

indeed>nice mini-jam of Frankie Says before the segue.

thelot

Here are some pics from 12-9-97 taken from the Bryce Jordan Center homepage.

I'm not sure if I've ever listened to this show, maybe once.

Highlights from set 1...

Mikes> (Typical hot fall '97 version)
Chalkdust (Great combo for a show opener, the crowd must've been going :banana:'s when they dropped into this one, very nice!)
Stash> (solid version)
Hydrogen> (I really liked the segue into this.)
Week4paug (nice version)
Loving Cup (solid version)

Highlights from set 2...
Julius (again, not a big fan of this song, but there's just something about versions from '97 that I like. The version from 4 nights earlier blows this one away though.
Simple> (solid version)
Bowie intro> (what a tease)
Timber (solid version)
Hood (nice version)

Decent show I give it a 3.8 out of 5.

sirtubepiper

I don't know if everybody is in this "show club," but let me just chime in to thank you for seeding it and say it's such a great show! Mikes > Chalkdust, and Stash > H20 > Weekapaug. Then a great second set Simple > Bowie tease > Timber! The Contact and Axilla are great too, as well.

I actually think this is one of the best shows I've heard of Phish. I'm a newbie.

The Axilla quote in Hood just came in. That's ridiculously good...crowd goes nuts!

jedifunk

well, let me be the 1st to "welcome you to 'the club'"!
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Hicks

Alright finally made it through set I . . .

Mikes': Started off rather standard, but then they remembered that this was Fall 97 and they proceed to funk it out with a nice BEK-like jam.  In retrospect maybe the highlight of the set, a funky Mike's opener is always welcome!

Chalkdust Torture: I gotta give it a  :banana:  Strictly by the numbers.

My Soul:  I think this is consistently the worst song Phish ever performed, moving on . . .

Stash: Nice version, nothing crazy just the usual dissonance jam and into . .

Hydrogen:  Very unexpected segue and pretty smooth taboot!

Weekapaug:  It's was alright.

Dog Stole Things:  Hmmm, two dogs stole things in two weeks, will the theme continue??

The rest rates a   :banana:  I always love Horn and Loving Cup, but like someone else said it kind of feels like they were going through the motions after Weekapaug. 

I gotta give the entire set a B-:  An above average Mike's (which is mostly due to my Fall 97 preference) but not much else to write home about.  On to the action in set II.

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sophist

solid show imo.  Nothing to write home about except the simple.  Really good jam, thanks for sharing the show.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

shoreline99

damn, i just d/l'd this... i'm gonna be a week behind now...  :frustrated:
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

Hicks

Ok, Set II:

Julius:  Nice version, not as interesting as last week's, but it seemed like there may have been a couple extra peaks toward the end, and any song that can get Fish hooting and hollering like that is alright with me.  Nice energetic opener.

Simple: Here we go, outstanding jam!  I really like how after the normal soaring/majestic jam they mellow it out into a nice laidback jam, with some tasty work by Page here.  He moves over to the clav and the 97 funk creeps back in.  A few different themes/sections here, all in all a very satisfying jam.  I think that Simple is kind of overlooked in terms of jam heavyweight tunes, there are so many great versions of the song post 95.  Those of you that weren't impressed by this may not like Phish!   :wink:

Timber:  Very good version, among the best I've heard, with a nice clean and concise jam, nothing to overindulgent on the part of Trey.   Page shines once again on this one.

Contact:  Definitely a kick down by this point, it's hard not to share the crowd's excitement.  The extra 97 funk factor on one of Phish's earliest attempts at a funk segment is a bonus.  Not a  :banana:, but a  :beers: instead.

Axilla was Axilla, bummed I didn't get to hear Trey say "Don't shine that thing in my face man".

Hood:  I felt good during this Hood, but the Axilla quote didn't work for me, mostly because the Axilla riff is obnoxious.  Solid (great) version.

But when it ended I gotta admit I had a bit of the same "that's it?" kind of feeling that I had with last weeks show, but worse because this was a U.S. show.  The set was kind of over before it began, three great songs only one of which is long, a couple of throwaways and all the sudden we're at the Hood closer, wtf?  For that reason I give the set a B, it really should be a B+ with that Simple but there just isn't much else going on. 

All in all a B show for me, an enjoyable listen and it's brevity is excused a bit since it is bookended by the absolute monsters of 12/7 and 12/11.  This was one of the few Fall 97s I hadn't heard yet, thanks for motivating me to give it a listen.  I'll definitely head back to that Simple>Timber again, outstanding combo!

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Gumbo72203

ok, so i finally got to sit down and listen to Set 1 all the way through yesterday, and i gotta say its pretty tight.  The Mike's opener is sweet, although on this source it sounds a little...  bland and uninspired in the beginning.  I dont know...   but the jam really gets goin once they get there.  These Mike's Funk are certainly interesting.  Honestly...  the funk has to be REAL good in my opinion for a Mike's Funk to be good, because Mike's is a song that expect to just absolutely completely rage my face off until i forget that Dubya Bush actually IS our president, that im not dreaming.  Anyway...  I like it, it was good.  Nothing terribly amazing to me.  Dont get me wrong, i love the funk, but i just think that Mike's isnt the best place for it on a consistent basis.  The stop/start stuff was cool, and i think i really would've liked this more if they took it out longer, because it seems like stuff was really starting to get good before Trey comes in with the Chalkdust riff out of nowhere.  Now, Chalkdust is pretty ripping.  I thought it was a great choice to go to, just too early.  I thought they shouldve taken Mike's further out, and built it back up once again and THEN bust into Chalkdust.  Anyway, i think this is a great version, Trey is doing lots of cool different stuff in it.  I especially like that crazy volume swell rage thing he does before the 2nd verse (?).  I forget which verse it, but its sweet.  I like the Stash as well.  Nothing terribly outstanding imo, but the segue into Hydrogen is just butter.  A couple little minor flubs in Hydrogen, and the pause into Weekapaug (i always want to type Week4paug......) was a bit too long imo, but i definitely liked it.  Im only about barely 3 minutes into Weekapaug again right now and its definitely chill (as in rage chill).  I like this Weekapaug. 

I definitely agree with you guys about the rest of the set being kind of like "oh... ok.  we finished early.  heres this then."  But anytime Horn is played is a treat.  This song absolutely rules.  If you dont like it, you're a complete loser and need to leave this board and forget that you ever thought that you might have once possibly thought that you maybe could have ever once liked Phish.  hehe.  If they took Mike's out to where it really wanted to go, and if they extended Chalkdust a couple more minutes, i think that we wouldve had one monster of a set.  Plus they couldve always thrown Horn in at the end just to be like "yeah, we just raged the fuck out of you but we're still going to play Horn now because its fucking awesome and you're gonna love it"

Everything else is just good filler.  I mean, the more Phish the better, so i cant really complain.  I say a solid B+ for this one.  Almost finished downloading Set 2 so I will comment back on that later.  I cant wait to hear this Simple!!!
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

jephrey

1: Mike's Song, Chalk Dust Torture, My Soul, Stash-> I Am Hydrogen-> Weekapaug Groove, Dogs Stole Things, Beauty of My Dreams, Horn, Loving Cup

Mike's & Chalkdust were good.  That's my kind of funk.  And the stop-start with trey's bit is rad.  I wish they did that more.  The Chalkdust was memorable for whatever reason.

The stash was solid and week4paug was  good.

Not my ideal set, but I loved the first two tracks.  The rest was just plain good.

2: Julius, Simple*-> Timber (Jerry), Contact, Axilla, Harry Hood#

Simple was really good.  I loved when it got stretched out.  Felt like a gust of cold air in a musty venue.  Also reminded me of an acid trip a little bit.  I love Timber.  Contact was awesome as always.  Axilla was pretty abrupt.  Hood was OK, but I felt good about it.

Overall, I liked this show, but not a ton.  I'd call the Mike's and Simple major highlights.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.