News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Stranger Things

Started by mistercharlie, August 04, 2016, 11:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

finally watched this. some good stuff in there. also some cheese.

if you need more of an '80s fix, you really must watch a little-seen movie from last year, Turbo Kid. it does an incredible job of totally recreating the '80s aesthetic without resorting to specific call-backs to scenes from '80s movies. also it never pretends to BE an '80s movie, it just uses the aesthetic and totally captures the feel of those movies in a way i found way more impressive and real than Stranger Things.

of course ymmv, you might prefer Stranger Things, but give Turbo Kid a shot. it's so great!

Buffalo Budd

Finished this last night (not a marathon TV watcher), while I got sucked in and enjoyed it, the scifi stuff got a little too out there at the end for my taste.
Still a fun watch and will probably tune in for season 2.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

mistercharlie

Quote from: VDB on August 19, 2016, 03:39:28 PM
New fan tee:

Shit!! I was working on that exact design for a shirt last night and was planning on finishing it up tonight.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

VDB

Heh, apparently you'd be at least person #3 with this same idea.
Is this still Wombat?

Bobafett

I gotta buy this and the leia wish you were here shirt.  Love em
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

antelope19

Shit..... should have known better than to think I had a clever idea before someone else in the phish community.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

VDB

Just wrapped up this season. A good bit of the supernatural stuff -- which is to say, the entire underpinning of the show -- was left un(der)explained, which I tried not to let bother me too much on the basis that sometimes weird things happen in genre films just for their own sake, but it did feel a little arbitrary in places.

But, all in all, pretty entertaining.

And cactusfan, I'm with you on Turbo Kid.
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

Looks like season two is now official for next Fall.

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 31, 2016, 09:18:24 AM
Looks like season two is now official for next Fall.

:banana:

PARTY OVA HEEERE!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Buffalo Budd

The kids from the series were on Jimmy Fallon tonight, should be interesting.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mistercharlie

Quote from: mistercharlie on August 06, 2016, 02:50:12 PM
Just finished it. Great show. Leaves it open for a sequel or two. The only thing I had a problem with was Nancy getting back together with Jean Ralphio McDick-Tickle, I hate that guy.

Episode six almost had me in a panic attack it was so intense. Or maybe it was the   :smoke:

I was calling Steve 'Jean Ralphio McDick-Tickle' from the start. Now look at this article/video about how Steve is Jean Ralphio's real father.  :-o
http://nerdist.com/ben-schwartz-and-steve-from-stranger-things-got-together-proved-that-theyre-related/

ph92

Quote from: mistercharlie on September 21, 2016, 05:41:18 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on August 06, 2016, 02:50:12 PM
Just finished it. Great show. Leaves it open for a sequel or two. The only thing I had a problem with was Nancy getting back together with Jean Ralphio McDick-Tickle, I hate that guy.

Episode six almost had me in a panic attack it was so intense. Or maybe it was the   :smoke:

I was calling Steve 'Jean Ralphio McDick-Tickle' from the start. Now look at this article/video about how Steve is Jean Ralphio's real father.  :-o
http://nerdist.com/ben-schwartz-and-steve-from-stranger-things-got-together-proved-that-theyre-related/
It's so funny cause I totally thought it was the same actor for the first few scenes I saw him in.

But this show is fucking amazing!! I love it, it really is refreshing in it's own way. And I definitely dig the D&D references. The opening scene definitely got me hooked. I have a soft spot for any D&D playing nerds. [spoiler]especially when they help save the town with using theoretical/quantum physics, D&D lore, and McGyver type shit[/spoiler]

Next fall is too far away!

I know this is the wrong thread but I love to hate Jean Ralphio
"Do you wanna get run over? Because I know a guy. Super gentle, minor scrapes and bruises... Major dollars and cents" :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

mistercharlie

So my buddy, Carl (the most artistic guy on the planet) made an amazing Demigorgon costume this year.

I couldn't figure out how to embed the Facebook video. But you can see the vid in this article I found about his costume.

http://www.refinery29.com/2016/10/128077/stranger-things-demogorgon-halloween-costume?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=post&unique_id=entry_128077