News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

archiving to dvd - data verification

Started by sls.stormyrider, October 25, 2008, 07:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

I was saving a couple shows to dvd using nero. After the shows were transfered it said "data verification failed"
I was able to open the files on the disc directly.
Using TLH, I tested the files, all were decodable w/o error. The check sums all match.

when I went back into nero, the program couldn't recognize that there were files on the disc.

I'm not gonna put anything else on this disc - anyone have any other thoughts about what happened?

thanks
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

TheIguana

i've been archiving on nero for a couple of years and always uncheck that "Verify data on disc after burning"

it just slows the process down and TLH is my data verification (using a second drive)

i also uncheck the multisession disc thing too which might be why it didn't recognize your files.

it ignored the existing files but instead just gave you a smaller size to your disc data space available

thats all i've got, if thats not it hopefully someone else can shed some light
We were put here to help each other through this thing...whatever "this thing" is. Kurt Vonnegut

G. Augusto

Yep.
I just burn data discs with Nero but verify with Frontend.
If that verifies, you are good.
a

sls.stormyrider

"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

twatts

Quote from: slslbs on October 25, 2008, 07:19:12 PM
I was saving a couple shows to dvd using nero. After the shows were transfered it said "data verification failed"
I was able to open the files on the disc directly.
Using TLH, I tested the files, all were decodable w/o error. The check sums all match.

when I went back into nero, the program couldn't recognize that there were files on the disc.

I'm not gonna put anything else on this disc - anyone have any other thoughts about what happened?

thanks

I've burned with Nero for a few years and I always check with MKW/TLH, etc...  The only time I've ever gotten a MD5 failure was when there was a problem with the files itself...

I use the Data Verify on Nero, and it is slow.  But it worth it I suspect...  And in the few years I've used it, Data Verify has only failed a couple of times.  I always reburn those discs... 

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

disco

Quote from: TheIguana on October 25, 2008, 08:52:16 PM
i've been archiving on nero for a couple of years and always uncheck that "Verify data on disc after burning"

it just slows the process down and TLH is my data verification (using a second drive)

i also uncheck the multisession disc thing too which might be why it didn't recognize your files.

it ignored the existing files but instead just gave you a smaller size to your disc data space available

thats all i've got, if thats not it hopefully someone else can shed some light
Quote from: G. Augusto on October 25, 2008, 09:08:36 PM
Yep.
I just burn data discs with Nero but verify with Frontend.
If that verifies, you are good.
a

ditto
..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

sls.stormyrider

nab

I always use the verify disc feature because it catches not only defective filesets but also defective discs/burn errors.  Nothing worse than filing away a disc only to find out much later down the line that there were transfer problems that corrupted the disc.  Verifying at that point doesn't do you much good if the information wasn't passed on to the disc.  I have had nero turn back a successful burn session on data that didn't get transferred all the way to disc.  It slows down the burn process, but I've learned the hard way to use it.