News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R6/W06: 07-17-1993 The Filene Center at Wolftrap, Vienna, VA

Started by blatboom, January 25, 2009, 11:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blatboom

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=521862
http://db.etree.org/shninfo_detail.php?shnid=82042

the lossy:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/w3mosm

Phish
July 17, 1993
The Filene Center, Wolf Trap Farm Park
Vienna, VA

source:
Set 1:
Schoeps mk21 (110 Deg. 11 in.) > kc5 > cmc5 > Sonosax SX-M2 > Sony TCD-D10 PRO II (@ 48 kHz)

Set 2
Schoeps mk4 (ORTF) > kc5 > cmc5 > Sonosax SX-M2 > Sony TCD-D10 PRO II (@ 48 kHz)

transfer:
Tascam DA-20MKII > Tascam HD-P2 > CF card > usb > pc > WaveLab 5.01b (fades, resample to 44.1kHz) > CD Wave v1.95 > FLAC v1.1.3 (Level 8)

recorded by Eliot Byron
transferred by Jason Sobel (jasonsobel@gmail.com)
seeded January 23, 2007

notes:
The original 48 kHz .wav files from the DAT transfer have been archived, and are available upon request.
Big thanks to Dave Flaschner for letting me borrow his DATs!

Disc 1 - [67:08]
Set I
01 - [04:17] - The Landlady
02 - [07:26] - Runaway Jim
03 - [05:23] - Sample in a Jar
04 - [02:24] - My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own
05 - [09:46] - Stash
06 - [12:25] - Reba
07 - [05:54] - Chalk Dust Torture
08 - [02:05] - The Horse >
09 - [04:57] - Silent in the Morning
10 - [01:39] - The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony >
11 - [10:37] - David Bowie

Disc 2 - [75:27]
Set II
01 - [04:12] - 2001 >
02 - [11:19] - Tweezer
03 - [09:56] - The Squirming Coil
04 - [07:44] - It's Ice
05 - [03:49] - Sparkle
06 - [02:34] - Big Ball Jam
07 - [08:29] - Mike's Song >
08 - [04:27] - Leprechaun >
09 - [06:18] - Weekapaug Groove >
10 - [02:49] - Faht
11 - [06:00] - Rift
12 - [04:54] - Good Times Bad Times
13 - [02:56] - encore break

Disc 3 - [08:41]
Set II continued
01 - [02:26] - Amazing Grace
02 - [03:17] - Daniel
03 - [02:58] - Tweezer Reprise

show notes:
HYHU jam at the end of Weekapaug

So yeah, Birdman scared me off my Fall '94 pick  :-D
instead I just tried to find a show that rips and came up with this.  Hope yall like it.

Submitted Reviews

Ytown
August
Birdman
Declan
Khalpin
Blatboom
Mandi
Mr. Minor
Mirthbeatenworker
pnchundi

Caravan2001

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

Mr Minor

khalpin

I'm pretty sure I remember this being someone here at the paug's first show.

Landlady: I'm listening to the FOB Nakamichi source, which is a little muddy, but it's still nice to hear the small crowd (looks like it seats 7,000).  Actually, there's a pretty cool 360 degree view of the venue here: http://www.emarketing360.com/ind/va/fccv/java/HSWolfTrapFileneCenter.html Cool looking place.  Anyway, nice opener.

Jim: Fast version.  Pretty hot jam.  Trey does some sweet hammer on/pull offs ~5:10.  Really intense version.  Fishman's all over the place here.

Sample: Relatively new at this point.  But it's still Sample.

MMGaMoiO: Some bluegrass.  Page gets a quick solo spot.

Stash: Love how tight the middle composed section is.  Pretty cool jam, with Trey showing off his chops.  Nice peak ~7:15 followed by another one ~7:50.  This one's pretty much all Trey.

Reba: Back to back goodness.  Composed section is spot on.  Trey teases Stash from 6:30 - 6:40.  I never noticed that before.  This Reba doesn't take long at all to pick up steam.  It reaches glorious heights right away.  Real nice Reba. With whistling.

Chalkdust: Keeping the energy high.

Horse>Silent: The Horse on the acoustic (the Martin?). 

Oh Kee Pa: Gotta love when it goes into a jam vehicle instead of Suzy.  Pretty close to perfectly played.

Bowie: Another tight composed section.  This goes right into a pretty awesome jam with a samba feel to it for a minute or so.  Then back into the more traditional Bowie progression.  With nice playing all around. 

Solid set.  Nothing too crazy, but definitely well played.

2001: Early, no frills version.  Springboards into>

Tweezer: Some dissonant craziness ~4:00.  Actually, a pretty dissonant jam section, as well for a large part.  Nice peak ~7:40.  Another one ~8:50.  Good jam for such a short Tweezer.

Squirming Coil: Trey struggles a bit during his solo.  Otherwise standard.  Really long Page solo.  Like he doesn't want to stop.

It's Ice: More tightness.

Sparkle: What's so funny?

BBJ: Fun to witness.  Useless on tape.

Mike's: Page joins in early.  Trey throws in a little extra right off the bat.  Seems like Fishman tried to slow it down a bit when it went into the jam section, but it didn't happen.  Gets a bit expiremental for a bit there, but not really going anywhere so Trey brings it back to D, E, F# progression and they go into:

Leprachaun: It's certainly interesting to hear this one, but I think it works better as a standalone tune than in the middle of a Mike's Groove.

Weekapaug: Trey starts it off.  Almost sounds like Trey's teasing Cocaine ~1:30, although I'm sure he isn't.  Some machine gun Trey in there.  Gradually quiets down and goes into:

HYHU/Faht: Fishman plays my 4 year old son's out of tune guitar for everyone's enjoyment.

Rift: Picking things right back up.  Nice and tight.

GTBT: Good set closer.  The crowd is diggin' it.

Daniel: Great encore.  Phish does gospel.  Pretty damn well, I might add.

Tweeprise: A fitting end.

I just realized I removed the encore break and Amazing Grace tracks to fit the show onto 2 discs.  If I recall, there was nothing special about Amazing Grace.  Anyway, I've listened to this show quite a few times, but not as closely as I did today.  It really is a good show, back when the band was real tight.  The jammed out songs don't stray too far, but they also don't suffer the pitfalls of straying too far and getting lost.  So it's a very listenable show.  For me the highlight was the Reba.  I give it a B+.

blatboom

Quote from: khalpin on January 27, 2009, 02:43:11 PM
I'm pretty sure I remember this being someone here at the paug's first show.

Slim maybe?  I'm pretty sure he saw this one at least

G. Augusto

This a tough one to do song-by-song.
Overall, the show is what you would expect from July '93.
Tons of songs all played tightly.
The highlight of the show for me was the Reba with some nice Stash teases in the beginning of the jam.
The Bowie was quite melodic, albeit rather short.
The second Leprechaun in the Mike's sandwich is my favorite of the three played.
Anyhow, I'll give this show a B+.
@

blatboom

yeah I think I dropped the ball on trying to find a really reviewable show.  :|
it's still a ripper.

pnchundi

my sister was at this show and had a good time.  Typical 93 which is to say fucking good.  Band is certainly going through changes as the audiences swell and the venues grow; but it was such a portant of whats to come...
The Landlady- great start
Runaway Jim- right into, jim has legs and these is a great way to spend a summer afternoon
Sample in a Jar- short and sweet
My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own- mike doing bluegrass
Stash- early sections are smooth and this one gets pretty face melty
Reba- back to back heat!!!
Chalk Dust Torture- smoking hot on the heels of a reba
The Horse > Silent in the Morning great combo and break in rhythm
The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony > :)
David Bowie- killer bowie, long and deep and a great end

Three pretty serious workhorses being put to good use.  B+

2001 >Tweezer I like these early versions of 2001, and this was a frequent combo for good reason.  Tweezer is really good
The Squirming Coil- odd yet pleasing pairing, coil was one of the first songs i really liked
It's Ice- nice and spacy
Sparkle- laugh and laugh, fast paced and good
Big Ball Jam fun to be a part of it yet hard to listen too
Mike's Song > Mike is out front! Great playing by all
Leprechaun >  where did this come from? Good stuff
Weekapaug> firey ending
Faht classic 93 stuff
Rift great playing with page and trey
Good Times Bad Times rocking!

Amazing Grace
Daniel
Tweezer Reprise

"classic 93" show, lots of great playing within a handful of tunes.  The other songs breaking up the sets are extremely well played and a great balance of the oddity that is phish.  B+

blatboom

I'm gonna synopsisize my own pick...

Set I

I like the Landlady as a stand-alone and it's a cool opener.  Runaway Jim is a straight Trey-led ripper.  Sample doesn't quite pack the punch in it's early days.  My Mind's is short and sweet.  Stash/Reba is a huge pairing mid-set, both with quality jams.  Chalk Dust felt like it lasted all of 3 minutes.. The Horse>Silent barely qualifies as a breather because of the energy and the ending of Silent is botched a bit.  They close the set out with the only Oh Kee Pa>Bowie ever (probably a reason for that as it doesn't quite work IMO).  the jam in Bowie is my favorite part of the set.

Set II

the second ever 2001 opens set II and I love this version.  it's slow and funky in it's compact form and the crowd loved it.  the Tweezer is my favorite thing from this show.  the main section is pure evil and the jam is short but focused with huge peaks.  it's 1993 and Trey is already flubbing his solo in Squirming Coil..but it's still a good one.  It's Ice was nice.  Sparkle and BBJ were played.  Then comes the Mike's>Leprechaun>Weekapaug.  Mike's is intense, Leprechaun feels reminescant of a bunch of Phish songs to me, and Weekapaug was a blast featuring a HYHU jam that fades into the rare Faht.  interesting to see a late second set Rift but it smokes.  and they shred the shit out of GTBT to end the set with a bang.  also love the Amazing Grace, Daniel, Reprise encore.

Sure this show lacks any real exploratory jamming.  But it packs so much energy from start to finish it's easy to understand how they built and expanded their fanbase around this time.  I give my pick an A as a precurser to the A+'s to be found in August.

Mr Minor

This is one of those shows that summarizes how nice and tight the band was back in 93:

Set I:
LL- great opener.
Jim- nice and fast, great energy starting off the show.
Sample- early and you can tell, but still fun b/c of the newness...
MMGAMOIO- bluegrass, Phish-style.
Stash- tasty.  super tight composed section.
Reba- ditto the above remark.  These two songs pick the set up and make it great.
Chalk Dust- ripping, high energy.  Solid version.
Horse>Silent- nice relaxation for a few minutes.  Catch my breath and enjoy the feeling.  Love this combo.
OhKeePa- fun song, thinking Suzy, but ohno...
Bowie- again, really tight composed section.  Doesn't get too crazy as it will in the coming years, but still super tight and good feeling.

Set II:
2001- straight forward, no real weirdness>
Tweezer- ok, this is where it goes off.  The jam is getting pretty down and dirty with a great peak.  Awesome 93 Tweezer!  What a start to the set.
Coil- wait, what?  Odd placement.  Feels wrong.  Sounds a bit wrong, too...
Ice- I love this song.  Good version.
Sparkle- laugh and laugh and fall apart.
BBJ- skip it if I can.  Must have had to "be there"
Mike's- love early Mike's for their intensity.  This one gets going and then head into>
Leprechaun- wouldn't have called it in a million years.  Haven't really listened to this song but a couple times.  Gonna have to go back and relisten.  Odd transition, prolly why they don't ever do it...>
Week4paug- and Trey gets going again!  Great jam into HYHU jam>
Faht- always odd, but fun.  Get's Fish his set II song.
Rift- picking up the energy again.  I love the back and forth between Trey and Page.
GTBT- keep it going boys!  Great energy to end the set.
Encore:
Amazing- grace
Daniel- I really like this song and it's a good version.  They are on and do the gospel tune justice
Twreprise-  and there's the finale.  Gotta send you out with the reprise.

Tight show, typical of 93.  Great stash and reba and bowie in teh first.  The Tweezer was the highlight of the second set for me, as well as the encore of Daniel and the reprise.  Solid show.  B+

VA $l!m

hey!
my first show!

was just listening to the show from the  18th yesterday.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

blatboom

mbw

since truncated reviews are acceptable for this show, i will do the same
only took limited notes  :-(

i like landlady as an opener, and this, as well as just about every other song played this day, is tight
never met a jim i didnt like, and this one is no different
i believe mike when he sings my mind's
the stash, reba and bowie are all uber tight, with the bowie having a epic, chill jam

the crowd still wasnt quite sure what to do with 2001, but they were believers by the end
loved the extended coil piano solo, he just kept going, and it was ok with me
i lol'ed at the crowd trying to keep up clapping along to sparkle
tweezer ripped, much more akin to the nectar version, which is my fav studio jam
mikes>lep>week4 was great, didnt take any notes, but remember loving it on the way to work
are there any faht's on vid?  would luv to see it

the jesus double dip for the encore was awesome along with a rocking tweeprise

Quote from: blatboom on February 08, 2009, 05:39:41 PM
I give my pick an A as a precurser to the A+'s to be found in August.

great pick blat, thanks