News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Lets go to the Polls.......

Started by sophist, November 07, 2006, 09:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grewich

in your face

sls.stormyrider

man, the crowds at the polls were unreal. We waited on line 30 minutes. Last time I had to wait almost that long was a presidential, but I think this was longer. I must say, I was kinda psyched it was that crowded.

Psyched about the Dems taking the house. :-)
Man, I was hoping that George Allen would get his ass kicked. :-(

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

jephrey

Quotehell ya...the demo's control the house...

And that matters?  Earlier in this thread there was talk of no gay marriage and shit.  The dems aren't going to change that.  How can anyone be happy about a political party gaining momentum/power.  I'd like to see a bigger list of (ind) out there.  I'm not really a green party type guy, but I'm definitely not a dem and I hate the social policies of the repubs.  I hate every aspect of this crap.  If they televised more debates instead of survivor guantanamera or the girl next door, I think people would have a basis for voting with some intelligence over voting for a party possibly based on the absolutely horrible ads that the candidates and their fanboys put out.  it's ludicrous.  I watch a little TV and I'm amazed that I wasn't fed a bit of reasonable data to make decisions on.  You actually have to try to search data out on a candidate, it's not right there for you.

I'm not happy that more people voted, I'm dissapointed.  Based on what I saw on TV, I'd bet that most voters were voting for a party, and were misinformed in doing so.

Oh well.  I'll bet you all that I don't feel one bit of difference...

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

grewich

first: 'the dude abides'....i absolutly love that movie   8-)

second; of course one should vote on the the issues rather than the party. that seems to be a moot point. however, would i prefer to vote indie, or green, or liber = yes

alas, do i want my vote to actually count, um ya...thus i vote more along the lines of dems...
in your face

sls.stormyrider

QuoteAnd that matters?  Earlier in this thread there was talk of no gay marriage and shit.  The dems aren't going to change that.  How can anyone be happy about a political party gaining momentum/power.  I'd like to see a bigger list of (ind) out there.  I'm not really a green party type guy, but I'm definitely not a dem and I hate the social policies of the repubs.  I hate every aspect of this crap.  If they televised more debates instead of survivor guantanamera or the girl next door, I think people would have a basis for voting with some intelligence over voting for a party possibly based on the absolutely horrible ads that the candidates and their fanboys put out.  it's ludicrous.  I watch a little TV and I'm amazed that I wasn't fed a bit of reasonable data to make decisions on.  You actually have to try to search data out on a candidate, it's not right there for you.

I'm not happy that more people voted, I'm dissapointed.  Based on what I saw on TV, I'd bet that most voters were voting for a party, and were misinformed in doing so.

Oh well.  I'll bet you all that I don't feel one bit of difference...

J

change happens slowly. it will probably be years before gays are better accepted, but gay marriage wouldn't even have been thought of 10 years ago. welfare reform, prescription drug assistance, etc are all imperfect as they are, but they all took time. IMO having the dems run the House won't result in any major changes overnight, but will change the direction of many things.

It would be great if more indies would get in. Just them being there helps change the tenor of a race-they are the ones who commit to issues and force the big boys to actually comment and commit to anything.

the media covers elections more like a sporting event than the true issues. that said, we had about 5 debates sponsored by local media for governor. they were real debates too, with shouting, arguing, etc. you're right jephrey, you do have to search info out, but it's there.

bottom line is that us voters are all there is (with the possible exception of the press) to keep these guys fairly honest. it's not perfect, but it beats whatever else is out there.

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

nab

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 07, 2006, 10:01:53 PM
so we're looking at 5 states that are tossups.
the dems need 3 of them to take the senate...

So far, John Tester is beating Conrad Burns here in Montana.  I work at the Union Club in Missoula.  This is the democratic meeting place for every election in Missoula.  Spirits were very high (and I got my ass kicked behind the grill).  Earlier today my wife and I waited in line for almost two hours only to have my wife be turned away after finding out that the DMV didn't change her voter registration to reflect her married name.  They did allow her to the front of the line after she returned with an old ID.

birdman

Funny...No one asked me for any ID when I voted. Nor any of those around me. I could cleary read names and addresses on the voter sheet while I was approaching the table.  With all the talk of stopping fraud and vote tampering, this was not an encouraging sight. I went early so there were no crowds, there is no reason they couldnt have made an effort.
   I look forward to watching our new governor, Deval Patrick, lead Massachusetts towards a brighter future. My kids are in classes with 30+ kids at this point, the state of our education system is pathetic. Ive got my fingers crossed....

Paug FTMFW!

cleech74

Quote from: birdman on November 08, 2006, 06:48:22 AM
   Funny...No one asked me for any ID when I voted. Nor any of those around me. I could cleary read names and addresses on the voter sheet while I was approaching the table.  With all the talk of stopping fraud and vote tampering, this was not an encouraging sight. I went early so there were no crowds, there is no reason they couldnt have made an effort.
   I look forward to watching our new governor, Deval Patrick, lead Massachusetts towards a brighter future. My kids are in classes with 30+ kids at this point, the state of our education system is pathetic. Ive got my fingers crossed....

I was listening to the Ed Norris Show yesterday, and heard this.  Apparantly, the election officials can't ask for ID.  Not sure why, maybe it's some weird law.  I've never even been asked to show my voter registration card.  They did ask me my age, but that was the only verification.  It does seem that this could easily lead to voter fraud, almost to the point that it probably already happens that way. :|

Anyone else(not in MD) get asked for ID when voting?
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

sophist

i got asked for both my license and voter card (I live in GA)
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

jephrey

I guess my point is that the dems won't get a chance to make a change because we'll go back to the republicans before anything takes much root.  It might be good that we keep going back and forth.

Here's my idea.  Each network offers each candidate 1 commercial per hour...  Any debate between candidates is run a couple times a day for a few days (as if there is actually importance in spreading the information).

In any case.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

sophist

Debates are pointless now, pubs and dems avoid anwsering the questions asked, but rather focus on shit that occured 30 years ago.  Politicans suck and are all spineless.  I'll cite examples on both sides, first we'll start with the dems, the campaign slogan which I noticed last night was "a new dircetion for America." 
however the DNC home page mentions nothing about a new direction or what that direction should be for Americans.
http://www.democrats.org/agenda.html
The dems have been pushing Iraq for quite a while, but make no mention of their solution (we know they want to pull out but no specifics exist as to how they would do this). 

As for the pubs, we have been hearing "stay the course" for quite some time, but what the fuck is the course?  does this mean Iraq?  the fight against Islamic Jihadits?  Are we going to keep looking for Bin Laden?  Is Iran part of the course?  This is dangerous to me, to leave the definition of course undefined and open for manipulation. 
http://www.gop.com/Issues/SafetyAndSecurity/

I woke up this morning not knowing what to think, I know this much, we needed change, but is this the right change? 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Hicks

Checks and balances are essential part of our government and anyway you look at it, their restoration is a good thing.

Do I think that the country is guaranteed to pull out of the shit creek we are going down, hell no.  I am more hopeful today than I was yesterday, hell yes!

Really the dems need to grow spines and impeach the war criminals sitting in the White House, but I won't hold my breath, and instead I'll settle for some oversight.

Anyway, at least gridlock is good for the economy!  (80's, 94-2000)
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

jonyem

The next two years are going to decide who becomes president in '08, and if the Democrats have any hope to take the White House, they need to have a few hearings and make examples of some of the wrong doings of the Bush White House, but not spend the next 24 months slinging mud. The party is not strong enough to pull off a bitchy stance, yet promise good things should we hand them the White House.

I see Obama as being the kind of candidate the democrats can look to, to unite the parties, much like Reagan did. Not a Reagan fan, but it can't be denied, he united a lot of non-unitables.

sophist

transcript from Limbaugh Talk Show
QuoteNow, I mentioned to you at the conclusion of the previous hour that people have been asking me how I feel all night long. I got, "Boy, Rush, I wouldn't want to be you tomorrow! Boy, I wouldn't want to have to do your show! Oh-ho. I'm so glad I'm not you." Well, folks, I love being me. (I can't be anybody else, so I'm stuck with it.) The way I feel is this: I feel liberated, and I'm going to tell you as plainly as I can why. I no longer am going to have to carry the water for people who I don't think deserve having their water carried. Now, you might say, "Well, why have you been doing it?" Because the stakes are high. Even though the Republican Party let us down, to me they represent a far better future for my beliefs and therefore the country's than the Democrat Party and liberalism does.

I believe my side is worthy of victory, and I believe it's much easier to reform things that are going wrong on my side from a position of strength. Now I'm liberated from having to constantly come in here every day and try to buck up a bunch of people who don't deserve it, to try to carry the water and make excuses for people who don't deserve it. I did not want to sit here and participate, willingly, in the victory of the libs, in the victory of the Democrat Party by sabotaging my own. But now with what has happened yesterday and today, it is an entirely liberating thing. If those in our party who are going to carry the day in the future -- both in Congress and the administration -- are going to choose a different path than what most of us believe, then that's liberating. I don't say this with any animosity about anybody, and I don't mean to make this too personal.
thoughts on this?

jephrey

It's limbaugh.  He's freed from having to defend some of the idiot republicans, now he can get to ripping up democrats for everything.

J