News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R11/W07: 11-22-1994 Jesse Auditorium, Columbia, MO

Started by G. Augusto, February 22, 2011, 03:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. Augusto

This is Alex's pick.

QuoteTuesday, 11/22/1994
Jesse Auditorium, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO

Set 1: Buried Alive, Poor Heart, Horn, Foam, Guyute, IDKI Didn't Know, Bouncin'Bouncing Around the Room, DwDDown with Disease, Sweet Adeline

Set 2: Funky Bitch -> Jam -> Yerushalayim Shel Zahav, Cry Baby Cry, CurtainThe Curtain > Blackbird, Runaway Jim -> BBFCFMBig Black Furry Creature from Mars[1], I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome, Little Tiny Butter Biscuits, My Long Journey Home, HoodHarry Hood, Highway to Hell

Encore: LizardsThe Lizards

[1] Acoustic finish.

Notes: BBFCFM was started electric and finished in the acoustic bluegrass lineup, which included I'm Blue I'm Lonesome, Little Tiny Butter Biscuits, and My Long Journey Home. Harry Hood was played as a result of an audience member's request after Trey said that the crowd could pick the next song.

Lossy
Lossless

Submitted Reviews:

1 - Augusten
2 - Pie Guy   
3 - YTown
4 - Mirth
5 - MC Jezroc
6 - WTU
7 - Pnchundi
8 - McGrupp
9 - Sophist
10- Lifeboy

justjezmund

What the hell is going on this round? :crazy:

and what, this is TUNAs pick?  Tell that d00d to stop by and say hello sometime
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

G. Augusto

Quote from: JustJezmund on February 22, 2011, 07:05:02 PM

Nah.
pnchundi.
Both are Alex, tho.

pnchundi

thanks a, and sorry everyone for being flaky for a day or two.  my main home computer died and then i was sick as shit. 

justjezmund

Quote from: G. Augusto on February 22, 2011, 07:42:32 PM
Quote from: JustJezmund on February 22, 2011, 07:05:02 PM

Nah.
pnchundi.
Both are Alex, tho.

Word.  Well I like the looks of this one.

Pholy M. Pia

Anyone else having problems with the shorten set on this one? Mine won't expand out, and the md5 check fails. Just me?
"Be in your own movie." - Ken Kesey

G. Augusto

Quote from: Pholy M. Pia on February 23, 2011, 04:15:14 PM
Anyone else having problems with the shorten set on this one? Mine won't expand out, and the md5 check fails. Just me?

I'm the one that UL it to etree and mine are fine.

Pholy M. Pia

"Be in your own movie." - Ken Kesey

pnchundi

buried alive- short and hot.  trey does this rising thing that cranks up the tension
poor heart- ripping
horn- not usually a fan but this one is ok
foam- good version. not anything new but rock solid with great page and trey.  quiet jam in the middle
guyute- the original version.  fun to hear what it was and what it is now
idk- w/vaccum jam
bouncin- that time then and once again
disease- straight forward and rocking
adeline- hard to hear

What a strange first set- 3 songs in less than 10 mins.  Foam and guyute are nice but the whole thing is less than 50 mins.   

funky bitch- trey owns this one from the beginning.  page has a nice solo too and then they shift into-
jam- wow this is pretty cool.  There are some really great moments where they are trying new ideas and then riding mini peaks.  There are some times where they run out of energy but then things pick up again
Yerushalayim Shel Zahav- perfect transition from the chaos of the previous 20 mins
cry baby cry- nice placement
curtain- hell yes!
blackbird- thats sweet
runjim- pretty rocking with a nice build up that rolls right into
bbfcfm- lots of "fucks" in this one.  Pretty funny.  They stop at the end but shift into acoustic mode to finish
Im Blue- i like this arrangement better than the one they usually play.  More of a traditional bluegrass approach.  They thank someone for sitting in with them...
Tiny Butter Biscuits- nice instrumental
long journey home- nice
hood- by request.  Standard 94 hood which means pretty awesome
highway to hell- short but trey rocks it out

lizzards- unusual for me in the encore spot but it works.  Great trey/page and then a nice page ending

This is a show I had never heard before and while it is not a keeper there second set is really nice.  The first set is too short with nothing to sink your teeth into.  The second opens with a strong bitch and an awesome jam.  big black furry creature is always a treat and the bluegrass portion is nice too.  I would give it a  B, worth the listen but it will not be on constant rotation

G. Augusto

First show back without Jeff and the band was on FIYA.

Buried - Super noisy version.

Heart - Page and Trey both DESTROY their solos.

Horn - Beep.

Foam - Nice 'n Fast. Extended Page solo. Silent Trey section.

Guyute - I say it all the time, but I *LUV* the '94 versions. This one is super tight. Love how quiet everyone is from gettin' their minds blown.

IDK/Bouncing - ::fingerbangs plump sorority chicks::

Disease - Concise, raging and peaks hard.

Adeline - Nice cap to a great set.

Bitch - Hadn't opened a second set since 09-20-1990. The actual tune has some extra energy in it. It's the followup jam (obviously planned) that makes this version so epic. Speeds up ~4:30. Turns into a major key jam around 6 minutes in. Super quiet. From this emerges a very light groove with Trey's tone know rolled all the way back. Some more awesomeness follows and winds up being the vocal segue into >>>

Yerushalayim - Pretty sweet out of that amazing jam.

Cry Baby - Trey gets a little lost during the solo.

Curtain - Well played and goes right into >>>

Blackbird - Whoa! 2 White Album tunes in the same set. Last time played.

Jim - Another oddly placed tune. Settles into a great groove early. Pretty shreddy and dark! Segues into >>>

BBFCFM - No, FUCK YOU! Fish coughing. I'M FUCKING RUNNING! Love the acoustic ending.

Lonesome - Continuing the acoustic set, post-Jeff.

Biscuits - Last version of 5.

Journey - Page's bass sounds a little out of tune. Cool how they took Hood as a request.

Hood - Fall '94 was a great time for this tune. Not groundbreaking, but a really good version. Short peak.

Hell - Now that the Reverend is gone....

Lizards - Wanna know something crazy? The last time Lizards appeared as an encore was also on 09-20-1990!  :-o

Mint show. I give it the meatiest of A's.

QuoteA funny side note about this show, the student group that put concerts on at the university had no idea who Phish was and they all took off early for Thanksgiving. After the place had cleared out a bit Brad got on the megaphone asking for volunteers to help break down the stage and load the semis. We sprinted from our balcony spot and ran outside behind the stage to volunteer. We were the last two people that signed up for this gig, and what fun it was. Got to thank Mike and Trey for such an incredible evening of music and spent the next few hours freezing while rolling gear up into the semi. I'll never forget being handed a bank deposit type bag, with a piece of tape on it that read, "Page's Piano Bolts" as we were asked to take apart the grand piano. That was a trip. And for our help they gave everyone the old white logo T-shirt and a ticket to any upcoming show. Brad, whatever happened to those bus tubes you were talking about?

justjezmund

Took a bit but wow what a night.

11/22/1994

Jesse Auditorium, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO

I

Buried Alive - Always a good decision , shit rips obviously.

Poor Heart - ONE TWO PUNCH! 

Horn - Its nice. that’s all

Foam - Still awesome and done well.

Guyute - I liked it, 94 darkness bro.

I didn’t know - I don’t like cheeseburger alley cats either.

Bouncin - Has some life and I didn’t hate it one bit.

DWD - Versions like this are why I love this song, Nothing but rage.

Adeline - SHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

II

Funky Bitch>Jam>Y-Rushalayim Schel Zahav - Bitch is great and then what this fuck is this?  Ive never heard this show so this is quite a treat.  Gets started awesome and then when ya think its over it just starts a great slow build to nothing short of excellent.  Then a beautiful transition into Zahav, great shit here.

Cry Baby Cry - Oh yeah?!  Awesome tune done just the same.

Curtain>Blackbird - Well done curtain……wait what?  More beatles please and thank you.

Jim>BBFCFM - The energy is just firing all over the place at this point.  Jim is spot on great and Creature makes me laugh.  Love it.

Blue and lonesome/buscuits/journey home - Cool as always bluegrass segment.  Love it.

Hood - “Breaking from tradition” is to 1.0 as “Being tradition” is to 3.0 :roll:
Hood always rules and this one is no different.

Highway to Hell - Straight rawk to end this one.  More fire please.

E

Lizards - BONUS,  what a great ending to a show.

Pumped I finally got around to this one,  and glad I made the time for it instead of doing a quick one while busy.  Show ruled my face start to finish while the bitch jam completely turned my ear inside out.  The fire doesn’t stop IMO and I didn’t lose interest. 

A material d00d, thanks for the pic.

WhatstheUse?

1994-11-22

Buried Alive - Yep. It's going to be a good show.  Ferocious version! Slams into --->

Poor Heart - Real high energy version with FIRE solos from both Trey and Page

Horn - Gorgeous.  One of my favorite ballad-y songs.

Foam - Nice Page solo -- seemed to have a little more oomph than usual.  SILENT JAM, FTMFW! What a band!  Great ending as well! It never ceases to amaze me how gracefully and effortlessly Trey is able to solo over these chord changes.  That is NOT easy.

Guyute - I too really dig the 94 versions and this one is very well played.  Man the ending of this song is e.p.i.c.

IDK - oh yeah

Boucing - in a circular fashion throughout the confines of a space

DWD - Great version.   Almost gets exploratory for a second, then Trey pulls it back and Tears it to shreds.

Adeline - Nice ending sick set.

Set 2

Bitch - Lots of energy in this one, Killer solos by both Trey and Page.  The groove they immediately drop into for the "jam" is real tasty. They're out for musical vengeance.  Love how they are so musically fearless at this point in their careers - @ 7 minutes they drop into ambiance, almost nothing is even going on.  Awesomeness follow >>>>>>

Yerushalayimm - Love this band.

Cry Baby Cry - One of my favorite White Album tunes.

Curtain - Very well played... and SLAMS right into >>>

Blackbird - More White album! yeeeh Page

Jim - odd placement... sick groove right out of the bat.  Trey is cock-rocking all over this one. Shredtastic breh!

BBFCFM - hell yeah. Segue was butter! Extra goofiness in this one. "No, fuck you!"  This jam is fucking badass!!!! Acoustic ending, ftw!  One of the better versions of this song I've hear it awhile.

Blue/Biscuits/Journey - They play bluegrass too!!!! And pretty damn well if you ask me.

Hood - An amazing song played amazingly by an amazing band.  But it's a Fall 94 Hood so that should be expected.

Hell - I don't like this song when AC/DC plays it, but I do when Phish does.

Lizards - Awesome in the encore slot!

Absolutely great show. Very high level playing in both sets. I give it an A.
Bring in the dude!

pnchundi

i have actually relistened to this show several times and it keeps getting better and better.  I have to up my grade to an A.