News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W08: 10-31-1986 Sculpture Room, Goddard College Plainfield, VT

Started by Hicks, July 03, 2006, 04:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Alright so as promised, I'm bringing some old school '80s back in the mix for everyone, which I think is good.  Because I love this stuff, but I haven't been rocking any '80s shows for a while now, and what better time than the Summer to start back up?  They have that good times summer vibe, that's for sure.   
:phish: :beers:

Anyway I tossed and turned a bit over this one, my first instinct was to do 8-21-87, but with last week's show being a three setter I thought that may be a bit much.  Then I was thinking about 9-8-88 which is a solid little show with one of the trippest YEM vocal jams I've ever heard and a stellar On Your Way, Whipping Post combo, but it just wasn't epic enough and didn't seem likely to make any converts or really turn people's heads.  Plus there was some wicked feedback at the end of the first set.

So I ended up with a compromise between the two in terms of sheer magnitude, which also happened to be the oldest show of the three.  But this one is a stone cold classic, no doubt.  Just remember this was a party so there's constant talking by the "audience" during the whole show, but I think the music shines through pretty clearly! 

I'll give my thoughts later in the week, everyone else enjoy!

The torrent:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=26775
http://db.etree.org/shninfo_detail.php?shnid=383

Sendspace Set I:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/chjw4f

Senspace Set II:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8o22ps

10-31-86
Sculpture Room at Goddard College
Plainfield, VT
SBD?> Cass(x) > DAT > CDR
Transferred by Travis from Miha's DAT

Disc 1:
   set 1
1.   Intro/Tuning   1:36
2.   Mustang Sally   5:38
3.   Camel Walk   6:28
4.   Golgi Apparatus   5:00
5.   Slave to the Traffic Light   6:44
6.   Melt the Guns>   3:23
7.   Dave's Energy Guide>   6:20
8.   Sneaking Sally Through the Alley   8:21
9.   Halley's Comet>   4:42
10.   Back Porch>   4:25
11.   Shaggy Dog   4:21
12.   Fluffhead   9:34
Total time: 66:38

Disc 2:
   set 2
1.   Jam>   5:46
2.   AC/DC Bag   5:55
3.   Swing Low Sweet Chariot Jam   2:14
4.   Peaches en Regalia   3:32
5.   David Bowie   10:19
6.   Have Mercy*->   11:48
7.   Harry Hood   9:10
8.   Sanity   4:56
9.   Skin It Back->   5:57
10.   Icculus   3:24
11.   Alumni Blues   6:11
Total time: 69:17

* with Matisyahu's dad on vocals. 

There were"cuts" between several of the tracks, probably someones crowd
noise edits and/or tape flips. I cross-faded them best I could. There is
one in the jam on Harry, cross faded it too, doesn't sound too bad. There
are a few points where one channel gets choppy. The worst was at the end of
Halleys where I mixed it to mono for a short section, it was that bad.
Finaly, to normalize I boosted the first set 2.5 db, and the second set 4.5
db.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

jedifunk

mmm, too old for my tastes... luckily i love this club and am willing to give it a try because of it...  perhaps i will change my tune after listening to it... just not the era i enjoy, but who knows, perhaps this is all i needed....

thanks for the pick in advance, :clap:
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

katzie

Hicks

Nope, Jeff had left a couple months earlier. 

And Jedi, even if you don't like it, at least you gave something different a shot.  That's what this club is all about!
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

flow00

I'm not a big fan of the 80s either, but this is a great show. I won't spoil what I think is a real gem of a jam that reminds me of Trey's emotional ambience of the late 90s. For whatever reason, no one ever talks about it. More on this show when I give it another listen. Nice pick!

Alumni

Ladies and Gentlemen . . . Mr. John Fishman on the drums[/marlon brando]

Mustang Sally: 5 years before 'The Commitments' brought this one back into brief popularity. Nice cover.

Camel Walk: ok. A couple millions later and some new equipment and this one might sound great ;)

Golgi: The name of this song is not "I saw you with a pistol in your hand"

Slave: I wasn't holding my breath. The performance seemed a little, umm, raw up to this point. And this is a song where even the 'jam' is still pretty much composed. But they nailed it. This is when you know you're not listening to another anonymous bar band. nice

Melt the Guns, DEG: Opens with F-Y-Face calls and extended hi-hat intro (would've thought Bowie was on tap). Instead its a Zenyetta-Mondatta-ish / white-boy-reggae-ish rap about (presumably?) nonviolence. I can see why this one got shelved. But then . . . the jam. This stunner comes out of nowhere. Derivative is an understatement. Trey's got Jerry's tone nailed here, and he's getting serious mileage out of it. Great segue (somehow) into

Sneakin Sally: Let's just say this one got more polished.

Halley's: People clapped. But seriously, this is appalling. I love (what) Halley's (became) and I want to cry. I assume that was Richard Wright/Nancy on vocals? Partially redeemed by the late noodle jam toward the end that sounds like the Allmans covering uncle pen.

Shaggy dog: nice

Fluff: Even though this is quintessential early phish, for me it's got an amphitheater/arena-rock vibe (esp. the final 'Fluffhead' chorus). I can only imagine what this looked like at a bar or college hall. :)

Set II & closing thoughts later
Cause I got a degree

Alumni

Oops. Looks like my unidentified Allmans-cover-uncle-pen tune from set I was Back Porch. That's what I get for not checking the setlist. Also, probably wouldn't have called "Bowie" during that first set 'hi-hat' business, given that Bowie's debut was not until set II of this show. This is what heppens when the show club goes old school.

Set II:
Like the jam into AC/DC. More interesting than the standard Oh Kee Pah > AC/DC or Suzy. Trey: "How you doin' out there? Are you ready for us?" Prophetic words.

Swing Low jam: how many bands could play this and have it not come off like a bad joke? File under: "only Phish"

Peaches: Zappa purists be damned. I've always liked Phish's arrangement of this one.

Bowie: I got a kick out of the bluegrassy arrangement of the bit between the "bowie" and "ub40" verses :-D Jam segment starts off almost exaggerated-ly slow. Impressed with the level of "freak-out" they reach even in this debut version. The jam is really flying along toward the end.

Mercy: Honestly, I was praying for mercy when I realized this wasn't going to be one of those short & sweet, 3-4min mercys. Nice, eerie jam. Still a bit long, maybe, but better than I expected.

Hood: Interesting contrast with Slave, which seemed much more polished at this point. This one has its moments, and you can see the potential. But its not quite there. yet.

Skin it: Seemed like a nice excuse for a guitar solo

Icculus: A "religious" hymn to Ikki - a great and honored person born in 1948 in ancient Greece - played (very) roughly to the tune of Skynyrd's "simple kind of man" Again . . . only Phish.

[E] Alumni: Oh hell yeah - gotta do it . . . :banana: Definitely one of those "simple framework for jamming live" tunes. I like this one w/ letter to jimmy page, and it's nice w/ horns . . .but this one's still fun.

Well? I don't usually dig this far back into the catalogue. But it is fun to do now and then. I won't be patronizing and lie about being completely converted to old school Phish. It's not my first choice. But it is cool to hear how it all began. Nice choice.  :beers: Apologies for the cop-out rating: N/R

Cause I got a degree

Hicks

Karma to alumni for the first review, how 'bout the rest of you?  Tell me what you don't like about it, I can take it!

And yes it's true I was born in ancient Greece in 1948, read the book!

cactusfan

a very curious tape of a bar band you've put up here.
there's the typical bar band cover songs like mustang sally and sneakin' sally, neither of which are any good at all, and include way too much obnoxious guitar.
yet there's also a number of very curious originals such as Camel Walk, Golgi Apparatus and David Bowie. curious in that even though none of them really work, they're unique and very carefully composed in a way i've never heard a bar band compose music.
as though the musicians' knowledge of what they wanted to do with the music far outweighed their ability to play it.
one could imagine this band going nowhere but to other bars, until they got bored and found real jobs, yet one could just as easily see them blossoming into something entirely different and exciting.

i understand these boys actually did go on to a certain amount of fame in later life?   :wink:

but seriously, thanks for the show. i've never gotten around to listening to one this old before. it's a trip to hear these songs at what is virtually their birth. everything's so slow! it really is weird to hear trey composing these weird-ass songs so long before he really knows how to play them. Golgi just doesn't do anything played like this, but basically everything that makes it the song it became is there, waiting to be exploited. trey knew the musical effect he was going for, even if he didn't yet know how to realize it.
Slave is sure a dud. but there it is, the same form, just not working at all.
Bowie actually worked better for me. the jam is kind of groovy for awhile.
i really hated mustang sally. terribly played.
and Halleys-- oh lord. even in modern times the vocals are a bit of a drag, but this is like fingernails on a chalkboard.
i don't have the setlist in front of me, but i really like the jam that goes into Sneakin' Sally.

but so anyway, that's all in comparison to the FUTURE.
as far as a bar band in '86 goes, this band is fucking weird. if i lived in vermont and this was the local band, damn straight i would have gone all the time.

thanks for the pick.   :beers:

sophist

I'm still DL
I got back logged due to project 72.  (its a gift and a curse  :wink: )
Almost done DL..........3 hours left
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

jephrey

Mustang Sally - good cover
Camel Walk - I like the complete lyrics.  The key changes are more defined in the future, and I like them that way, but this song was still good back then.  I find it enjoyable even though it may be considered unrefined by some.  Not as funky, but I like the version.
I Saw You With a Pistol in Your Hand - At this point, I'm thinking I shouldn't have read Alumni's review first.  My opinion my be the exact opposite.  I liked this version as well.  It's slower and older, but seems fairly polished.  Not as many Trey notes as future versions, but you can't expect it to not evolve.  I think it started off very well.
Slave - A high quality rendition.  I may even like this song more as an older version.
FYF-Minkink-MTG - This is one of those old tunes that I wish got revamped for the future, maybe even taking out some of the chorus and a lot of the lyrics.  I like the music though.  I find that MTG is a treat to hear.  An almost invisible segue into >
DEG - I love this one too.  This entire jam is sweet.  This part of the show is making me want some more stuff from 86.  I was 10 years old!
Sneakin' Sally - I recently got the original and I like the way Phish plays it.  I think this is a great selection.  the more I listen, the more impressed I am with this set.  Good jamming for early Trey and a nice little vocal jam.
Halley's - Pretty bad, but I think by design.  I won't knock it just because it's so bad.  I think it's Fish that's making it so much worse that it needed to be.  Still, the music is good and I like the extendedness of it. which turns out to be
Back Porch - I dig this.
Shaggy Dog - Pre-cursor to Jim?  Nice little organ groove in there and some fast guitar (that I like)
Fluff - Good also.

This set was a treat for me.  I really liked it.  No huge jamming or anything, but I thought it was well played.  80s shows will get more random play.  The thought that there's no intense jamming or funk is a turn-off, but I need to remember that there are other aspects of the old stuff that I really like.  Especially songs that went away.  Anyhow, set 2 this afternoon hopefully and I'll be back on track.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Alumni

Quote from: jephrey on July 06, 2006, 12:57:50 PM
I Saw You With a Pistol in Your Hand - At this point, I'm thinking I shouldn't have read Alumni's review first.  My opinion my be the exact opposite.  I liked this version as well.  It's slower and older, but seems fairly polished.  Not as many Trey notes as future versions, but you can't expect it to not evolve.  I think it started off very well.
Slave - A high quality rendition.  I may even like this song more as an older version.

Not sure what you mean. I didn't have much of a reaction to Golgi, so I just posted some stage banter. The stage chatter is one of the best things bout this recording - funny stuff  :-D

I'll agree on Slave. I think cactusfan went overboard in criticizing this slave. Sure, its not as smooth as, say, 11.26.94. But I thought it was surprisingly polished.
Cause I got a degree

August

i love me some old stuff.
trey is obviously rocking a strat for this gig,
and for those guitar players, you can hear he plays ALOT of tunes using
the 4th pickup selector.which is strange....

Mustang- cool lead stuff bt trey.nobody wants to shut the lightswitch for them.enter kuroda........
Camel- cool version.the only part i didnt like was when trey missed the "Got funk?" line.then mike missed his 'Funk" line.which is the best part of the song!
Golgi-Slave-Both were nice versions
MTG-Minkin-DEG really cool jam out of this.very solid for the earlier half then turned into something that could almost be found in a 94 fall jam or summer 95 jam....awesom3e segue into>
Sally- i like the little vocal section in the middle, then BAM! right back into it.dope.
Halley's-Porch-Shaggy- all nice.the back porch was a treat.trey was on fire.fuego!
Fluff- i called this!.....i really dont like the old arrangement (or this incarnation,at least) of this.this one has really come a long way.

Jam>ACDC- the jam was kinda "waiting for mike anfd page to get out of the bathroom-esque"i have had many of these pre-set II jams.they rule!ACDC was more ripping by Triz.
swingLow- coo
Peaches- they kick this tune's ass.eighties.nineties.whatev.......this one really had a laid back feel.like....extra.
Bowie- now, this one, i like the earlier arrangment.not that i am not happy with how it is, but both are really solid.nice,early style jamming going on.
Have Mercy- i like this song alot, but didnt like this version.just way too long for me.and although the singer was good, i hate when random people try and steal the show.that killed it for me.
Hood- nice......
Sanity- real early.i really enjoy the sped-up versions from a few years later.
Skin it- any mike tune is cool in my book.more rippage.
Icculus-really short...
Alumni-strange with out the Letter section.nice tune.

i give this one a B.
it is weird how the 80's get grouped together.
if you listen to 89 or 88 even, it is entirely different than how they were playing around this time.
nice pick, ik!

a

jephrey

I was generalizing Alumni, from reading what you wrote, I took it that you weren't impressed after the first few songs, and I was.  I didn't mean to relate my statement to Golgi either, I meant it overall and based it on this statement...

QuoteI wasn't holding my breath. The performance seemed a little, umm, raw up to this point

That's all, I thought it was good up to that point, not "umm, raw".  Anyway, I was just poking fun at the banter too.

Jam - This is a really cool little jam into
Bag - A tune that up and down the years continues to impress.  Jedi can't say that he doesn't like this one.  It's good stuff.
Swing Low - Cool little groove, this type of thing is what makes Phish Phish.
Peaches - I also think Phish rocks this tune.  This version is slow and could use louder keys.  It's played OK.
Bowie -  A little messy at the start and all over the speed scale.  The little bluegrass ditty is nice, and the jam is super slow.  Fun to listen to for a change from later Bowies.  It does speed up for the end.  I think the end to bowie is one of my favorite endings to any song although this one isn't as fierce as I'd like.
Have Mercy - Jah!  roll up a big fat one and smoke it.  I wish this got more rotation in later years.  It has always been good as part of a jam like in Tweezer fests etc.  by itself, it's aight, but I liked the length and it went well into a reggae intro to...
Hood - Cool
Sanity - Don't love the tune, but it's OK
Skin it Back - Love the tune.  This one's OK.
Icculus - OK
Alumni - I was lucky to witness the return of this tune by both TAB and then by Phish.  I've always liked it, and the alternate lyrics are sweet.  Good ending.

I liked this show a lot.  Gives my opinion of the 80s a boost even though they weren't that low to begin with.  I just never paid much attention because I was too busy with the later 90s.

Thanks for the show.  My rating is a 3.49876 out of 5.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

shoreline99

I have an old ogg copy of this one. gonna download this version and compare.

nice bar band vibe...  :banana:  :beers:  :banana:
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.