News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2017-12-28 Madison Square Garden New York, NY

Started by anthrax, December 28, 2017, 11:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Hicks on December 29, 2017, 12:02:20 PM
Interesting that Mike was using an IEM last night, which has traditionally been banned on the Phish stage. 

I wonder if he'll keep using it.

Just one ear?

Is there a specific interview where they talk about IEMs?
Bring in the dude!

anthrax

Quote from: VDB on December 29, 2017, 01:49:40 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on December 29, 2017, 11:13:54 AM
My only real complaint was the horribly forced segues by Trey but what's new there...

Prior to Everything's Right, as Fishman was still merrily banging away over on the Mike side of his kit, Trey sidled up to the riser to call out the new tune and Fishman essentially stopped what he was doing to lean over and hear the request again. I know these moments are usually of Trey's initiating, but sometimes Fish could do a better job of maintaining the continuity as well.

i totally saw that last night, and i totally did not like it.  a little lackadaisical last night...i guess it comes with being pretty damn comfortable in that room.

jasonsobel

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on December 29, 2017, 04:18:16 PM
Interesting that Mike was using an IEM last night, which has traditionally been banned on the Phish stage. 

Just one ear?

I thought Page used an IEM.  Did they talk about it in the Phish Book, or Bittersweet Motel?  Yeah, I think Trey starts singing about it in Bittersweet Motel, in the same improvised song about Page's new shirt.  I'll have to go back and check it out.

edit to add:
check out 47:45 in this video:
sing me back home before I die

kellerb

Just one ear?

It's Mike.  He's probably learning how to lip-read and finds it intriguing to do so onstage via Trey's audibles.

mbw

Oh man, i always thought he was cleaning his ear with a q-tip.

Hicks

Quote from: jasonsobel on December 29, 2017, 04:51:25 PM

Just one ear?

I thought Page used an IEM.  Did they talk about it in the Phish Book, or Bittersweet Motel?  Yeah, I think Trey starts singing about it in Bittersweet Motel, in the same improvised song about Page's new shirt.  I'll have to go back and check it out.

edit to add:
check out 47:45 in this video:

I think that was a pretty brief thing, Trey's even giving him shit about it right in the vid.

Not sure where I read it, but they've said they don't use IEMs because they feel stage monitors allow them to connect with each other better. 

Mike's been using them with MGB for a while now. 

I think he only had one in his left ear last night, could be wrong though. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

jasonsobel

Quote from: Hicks on December 29, 2017, 05:55:48 PM
I think that was a pretty brief thing, Trey's even giving him shit about it right in the vid.

Not sure where I read it, but they've said they don't use IEMs because they feel stage monitors allow them to connect with each other better. 

Mike's been using them with MGB for a while now. 

I think he only had one in his left ear last night, could be wrong though.

Maybe, maybe not.  Trey also talks about it towards the bottom of page 87 in the Phish Book, and how it helped a lot when Page started using the "Ear Bug monitor", and how it helped Page hear Fish more, and in turn, made his musical ideas more clear to Trey.

To be honest, I've always had a tough time keeping track of what gear each of the guys is using, and I don't know if Page or Mike or anyone has or hasn't been using IEM's over the years.  I only bring this up to point out that I don't think Phish ever categorically opposed the use of IEM's.

In any case, back to this show.  Just listened to NMINML > Twist for the first time.  Good stuff.  Haven't had a chance to listen to the rest of the show yet, but this bodes well for the next 3 nights :)  :phish:
sing me back home before I die

susep

Quote from: jasonsobel on December 29, 2017, 07:59:06 PM

In any case, back to this show.  Just listened to NMINML > Twist for the first time.  Good stuff.  Haven't had a chance to listen to the rest of the show yet, but this bodes well for the next 3 nights :)  :phish:

Going through set 1 again as I type.  Tube is quite good.  Atypical, volcanic.  Also, best Your Pet Cat since the Vegas debut?   

westcider

IEMs have come a long long ways since Bittersweet Motel came out

mehead

I am just now getting around to listening to the NYE run.

Right now, this NMINML   :music: :music: :music: :music:
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged