News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Is this ok???

Started by easts_vault, July 01, 2008, 12:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easts_vault

Recently I have been going through my archive altering the text files in each show. I have been putting the flac fingerprint/shn md5 text into the info text file. Just wondering if this is ok, or is it necessary to have two separate text files (one for the show info and one for the ffp/md5) for each file set. For me, it is just easier to have all that info in one text file, for trading/seeding.
-east
Without music we are just swimming in an ocean with no hooks.

mattstick

Seems like extra work for no reason.  You'll have to re-create that .MD5 or .FFP to verify the files again in the future.

easts_vault

Quote from: mattstick on July 01, 2008, 12:39:12 PM

Seems like extra work for no reason.  You'll have to re-create that .MD5 or .FFP to verify the files again in the future.

ahh...didn't think of that, should prolly hold off then.
Thanks

easts_vault

Quote from: mattstick on July 01, 2008, 12:39:12 PM

To clear things up a bit- I am actually not deleting the checksum file, just putting the text info from the checksum into the info file inside the shows folder. In other words I am only altering the text file, so the checksums are still o.k., is this correct?

mattstick

Right, but the software that reads the FFP or MD5 doesn't know what to do with all the other information concert/source info in that new text file that you're making.

DoW

I'll chime in with the same answer I gave to a similar type question in the past.
Whatever files you have now (music and text) seemed to have worked.  To make changes, what value are you adding exactly by making this change?  Some people like the checksums in the text file.  So, if there are enough people like that out those, then by all means change the text file.
As for me.  I verify against the DB anyway when verifying a show.

I'll add this as a general comment.  it seems like I spend so much time at work trying to undo changes people make because they made a change that really wasn't necessary.  My philosophy is that if this current text file system has been working, why change it?

In the end, I don't care what people do with text files.  I am concerned with the music coming out of the speakers.  I think people spend a lot of time on text files and tagging and whatever else they do.  It's their time, so I don't care.  For me, I just want to hear the music.  The only info I find valuable in the text file is the lineage information.  As long as you don't touch that, you can do whatever you want with the text file.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

easts_vault

Quote from: bvaz on July 01, 2008, 02:33:35 PM
I'll chime in with the same answer I gave to a similar type question in the past.
Whatever files you have now (music and text) seemed to have worked.  To make changes, what value are you adding exactly by making this change?  Some people like the checksums in the text file.  So, if there are enough people like that out those, then by all means change the text file.
As for me.  I verify against the DB anyway when verifying a show.

I'll add this as a general comment.  it seems like I spend so much time at work trying to undo changes people make because they made a change that really wasn't necessary.  My philosophy is that if this current text file system has been working, why change it?

In the end, I don't care what people do with text files.  I am concerned with the music coming out of the speakers.  I think people spend a lot of time on text files and tagging and whatever else they do.  It's their time, so I don't care.  For me, I just want to hear the music.  The only info I find valuable in the text file is the lineage information.  As long as you don't touch that, you can do whatever you want with the text file.

If it isn't broke don't fix it. Prolly just a waste of my time, considering it is somewhat time consuming. Well thanx for the input guys it is helpful.
-east

ytowndan

Quote from: mattstick on July 01, 2008, 02:19:45 PM

Right, but the software that reads the FFP or MD5 doesn't know what to do with all the other information concert/source info in that new text file that you're making.

I always thought that the md5's/ffp's only represent the shn's/flac's?
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

mattstick

That is correct.  You still can't have setlist/song/source info in an MD5 or FFP file.

ytowndan

Oh, yeah.  I thought he meant he was adding the checksums to the text file. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

jephrey

yeah, to avoid confusion, I save everything I grab in its original form for future sharing.  My own stuff, I'm one of the anal types that needs to have them tagged etc, so I save them like that too.  I have a lot of backup discs.

I don't know if you're doing anything for anyone else by adding that info to the text file.  I think the best way is to just trade it in its original format unless you're making some huge change to it.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

kellerb

only thing I might change before I archive is the filenames, if they are not in standard etree format.  If I edit a text file, I generally save it as a new file. those are mostly if the original file doesn't have a setlist or if it somehow loses its linebreaks (common).

easts_vault

Thanks for the opinions guys. For me it is easier when seeding to have everything in one text file, instead of copy/paste from 2 or 3 different files into the fields on bt.etree. For the ease of it all, and for future trading, I think I am just going to leave things as is. :-D

rowjimmy

for the record...
When I create a seed, I append the ffp & shntool info into the txt file for reference.

It takes 30 seconds and hurts nothing.

But that is only for new shows/sources.