News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Obama - Nobel Peace Prize

Started by guyforget, October 09, 2009, 11:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 09, 2009, 02:53:30 PM
He should respectfully decline because, he's just doing his job.

Barring that, he should downplay it as much as possible in the states and recognize that it is a sign that he still has some stock overseas if he wants to get his diplomacy on.

I posted this from the hip without much thought.
Upon further reflection, I disagree with this post.

He has responded correctly to this and it has been awarded as an encouragement to achieve so much more in this world.

mehead

I do like the fact that he is giving the cabbage to charity..kudos
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: mehead on October 12, 2009, 09:05:16 AM
I do like the fact that he is giving the cabbage to charity..kudos

To do otherwise would have been totally uncool.

antelope19

A joke forwarded to me today from a very conservative friend:

John was in the fertilized egg business in Alabama.  He had several hundred young layers (hens), called 'pullets,' and ten roosters to fertilize the eggs.  He kept records, and any rooster not performing went into the soup pot and was replaced.

This took a lot of time, so he bought some tiny bells and attached them to his roosters.  Each bell had a different tone, so he could tell from a distance, which rooster was performing.  Now, he could sit on the porch and fill out an efficiency report by just listening to the bells.

John's favorite rooster, Ol' Bama, was a very fine specimen, but one morning he noticed that Ol' Bama's bell hadn't rung at all!

When he went to investigate, he saw the other roosters were busy chasing pullets, bells-a-ringing, but the pullets, hearing the roosters coming, could run for cover.  To John's amazement, Ol' Bama had his bell in his beak, so it couldn't ring.

He'd sneak up on a pullet, do his job and walk on to the next one.

John was so proud of Ol' Bama, he entered him in the Renfrew County Fair and he became an overnight sensation among the judges.  The result was the judges not only awarded Ol' Bama the No Bell Piece Prize but they also awarded him the Pullet Surprise as well.

Clearly Ol' Bama was a politician in the making. Who else but a politician could figure out how to win two of the most highly coveted awards on our planet by being the best at sneaking up on the populace and screwing them when they weren't paying attention.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

kellerb

That would be a pretty good joke.  All it's missing is being funny

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

antelope19

:lol:

That's exactly the response I was expecting.  And yes, not very funny.   

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

antelope19

fauxpaxfauxreal

gah

Obama accepted the Nobel earlier, below is the transcript of his acceptance speech, and a short excerpt from the beginning. I think he did a good job, and spoke thoughtfully concerning war and peace and his role as POTUS.

Full Speech transcript:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/12/10/obama.transcript/index.html

QuoteI receive this honor with deep gratitude and great humility. It is an award that speaks to our highest aspirations -- that for all the cruelty and hardship of our world, we are not mere prisoners of fate. Our actions matter, and can bend history in the direction of justice.

And yet I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the considerable controversy that your generous decision has generated. In part, this is because I am at the beginning, and not the end, of my labors on the world stage. Compared to some of the giants of history who have received this prize -- Schweitzer and King; Marshall and Mandela -- my accomplishments are slight. And then there are the men and women around the world who have been jailed and beaten in the pursuit of justice; those who toil in humanitarian organizations to relieve suffering; the unrecognized millions whose quiet acts of courage and compassion inspire even the most hardened of cynics. I cannot argue with those who find these men and women -- some known, some obscure to all but those they help -- to be far more deserving of this honor than I.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

susep

I too was swept away by the cult of Obama but now that he's in as President I'm not so sure I trust him or his Admin. esp. the super sketchy Timothy F. Geithner.  This is all a charade imm. 

sls.stormyrider

contrary to popular opinion prior to the election, Obama is human. The country was in a pretty shitty state as of Jan 19, 2009 and it will take us a while to get out of it. I certainly don't agree with everything he's done. Part of the problem is Congress.
I do think that he's approaching everything in a thoughtful manner, and I agree with his basic world view. Unfortunately, the world is a nasty place.

Agree with you about Geitner. I believe he's a smart guy, but it seems as if he may be more than a little too close to the high finance guys on Wall Street (just like the past several Sec of Treasury)
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

susep

Quote from: slslbs on December 10, 2009, 10:53:05 PM

Agree with you about Geitner. I believe he's a smart guy, but it seems as if he may be more than a little too close to the high finance guys on Wall Street (just like the past several Sec of Treasury)

exactly, and frankly w/ Geitner being so close to the Federal Reserve Bank and his rhetoric about wanting to set up a new global currency, my position on Obama is that because he's such a charismatic fellow and practically the whole world kneels to his every word, he's the perfect frontman for the global banking cartel.