News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R11/W06: 12-13-1997 Pepsi Arena, Albany NY

Started by WhatstheUse?, February 13, 2011, 02:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

One of my favorite shows from one of the greatest tours in the history of music.

QuoteSaturday, 12/13/1997
Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY

Set 1: Ya Mar > Axilla > Theme From the Bottom, Ginseng Sullivan, Strange Design, Sample in a Jar, Vultures, Tube, Good Times Bad Times

Set 2: NICU > Punch You In the Eye > Ghost > Mike's Song -> Llama, When the Circus Comes, Weekapaug Groove -> Catapult -> Weekapaug Groove, Harry Hood

Encore: My Soul, The Squirming Coil

Notes: Ya Mar was unfinished. Mike's Song included a Funkytown tease, Foxy Lady quotes from Fishman, and some memorable vocal interplay from the band that included a chant to "Bring in the Dude." During Hood, Trey asked Chris Kuroda to turn off the lights for a Blackout Jam and the audience responded with a shower of green glowsticks. The opening act was J. Willis Pratt & We're Bionic.
Lossless
Lossy 1
Lossy 2

Enjoy!  :wtu:

Submitted Reviews:

1 - Augusten
2 - Pie Guy (bitched out)
3 - YTown
4 - Mirth
5 - MC Jezroc
6 - WTU
7 - Pnchundi
8 - McGrupp
9 - Sophist
10- Lifeboy
Bring in the dude!

justjezmund

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

jedifunk

i'm not part of the club, but THIS SHOW MELTS FACES!

easily in my top 10 shows ever, possibly top 5.

the yamar is fucking unreal awesome, and exudes fall 97 flavor.

2nd set is just a balls to the walls rawk fest... the highlight for me being the rock peak in ghost right before it descends down into mikes.

and then the mikes madness... BRING IN THE DUDE PAGE.  i gotta do it again fish.  i can just hear trey coming and coming.

absolutely the best tour closer ever!
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mbw

McGrupp

Love this show. I keep set II in my car and spin it all the time.

BRING IN THE DUDE!!!!
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Superfreakie

I was at this show but for the life of me cannot remember an opening act. Did anyone else who was there catch them?
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

mattstick

khalpin

J. Willis Pratt opened....I don't think they won over any fans.

mbw

i remember when they tried to sell his album through the schvice and online.
i didn't bite.

birdman

Fish introduced them and they didn't use the the whole sound system, just the monitors I believe.
They did suck.
Paug FTMFW!

jedifunk

Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

pnchundi

I have not listened to this show in a few years so thanks for the great pick.  And with all the badass 94 shows, december 97 is the only thing that really compares.   This show is fantastic but i didnt really write down my notes- oops. 

yamar- pretty standard opener but this is anything but standard.  the funk just flows and the band is in no hurry to create something, but instead they allow it mature more organically.  and they are having so much fun with the jam that they bring it back.
axilla- trey rushes the intro and the band tries to regroup but its a little off.  The ii ending is nice though
theme- nice little theme hear.  this one also stretches out and trey has a sweet solo
gingseng- it wouldnt be phish without some bluegrass
strange design- i like it but i wish they jammed it a little bit
sample- this is starting to feel like a normal show as they have not found that magic spot again
vultures- i spoke too soon.  I love this song and this one is great.  There is no real peak but trey and page just keep going back and forth and its really lovely
tube- lots of energy
goodtimes/badtimes- straight rock

nicu- good opener and lots of page
pnchundi- this is my jam.  nice long drawn out intro and lots of fun
ghost- this is shit gets intense yo.  mike sounds awesome and page and trey tear it up.  super dance funk with several mini peaks before trey lets loose
mikes- the tits!!! this is kind of where i stopped taking notes because i was dancing while i was driving.  they slowed it down, sped it out, went here and there and everywhere in between.  i think i remember a vocal jam.  and the "bring the dude" part was fantastic.  I am not a fan of the DOL so I was not upset he never made it stage.  But they sure used this a chance to spur each other on. super badass
llama-ok and real fast
circus- nice cool down but not needed
weekapaug- more awesomeness.  MIke is oozing the funk and they all take turns with ideas (kind of like a silent hey hole) and the groove is amazing.
catapult/groove- icing on the cake
h00d- really high energy hood.  it seems like the band is trying to play the glowstick ala the big ball jams.  nice long extended hood, almost 17 mins and change.  Big thank yous for the entire tour- "we all wish we could keep going"

mysoul- ? i know they played this all the time in 97 and i like some versions but this doesnt really do much for me
coil- oh wow, this a very tasteful coil.  Lots of quiet space with careful playing.  Big long page solo at the end and he also thanks everyone for the tour

A show all the way around.  Great mix of creative bursts of energy balanced with some standard dance numbers.  First set highlights were the YaMar and the vultures.  Second set is pretty badass, although in retrospect, the opening combo should have been punch/nicu not the other way around.  But from Ghost on to the end its just shear and simple beauty.   A+

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

emay

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on February 18, 2011, 02:42:47 PM
man this show is fun to listen to  :rawk: :music:

Seriously! I haven't taken notes yet, but I've been listening to this show a bunch this week and loving it.
Bring in the dude!