News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

All Things ViDEO GAMES

Started by VA $l!m, March 12, 2007, 04:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

Got to play the Fallout 76 beta for about 4 hours tonight.
Honestly it was pretty cool. Slightly above my expectations going in.
Performance was an issue, but thats sorta to be expected at this point and im pretty confident Bethesda will have it running smoothly by launch.
Definitely felt like a game that will be most enjoyable  playing with a dedicated group of friends.
Luckily i have my 2 main ESO buds playing with me so it should be alot of fun.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

tet

Quote from: VA $l!m on October 29, 2018, 06:26:00 PM
Tip: hang out for the camp parties after chapters. Total riot

hah yeah I did that - sang along too!!
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

tet

Quote from: VA $l!m on October 30, 2018, 11:35:25 PM
Performance was an issue, but thats sorta to be expected at this point and im pretty confident Bethesda will have it running smoothly by launch.
Definitely felt like a game that will be most enjoyable  playing with a dedicated group of friends.

hopped in for a few hours last night, it was fun.  definitely improved mechanics overall from previous Fallout games - didn't feel as cumbersome to manage stuff.  however, the VATS-lite is kinda annoying, as I thought it would be.  it's a HUGE area that I hope is fleshed out with more people as the story and/or release develops.
-Phish

VA $l!m

Quote from: tet on October 31, 2018, 09:34:28 AM
Quote from: VA $l!m on October 30, 2018, 11:35:25 PM

hopped in for a few hours last night, it was fun.  definitely improved mechanics overall from previous Fallout games - didn't feel as cumbersome to manage stuff.  however, the VATS-lite is kinda annoying, as I thought it would be.  it's a HUGE area that I hope is fleshed out with more people as the story and/or release develops.
I will say its always going to be a controversalk game b/c of the majority of the core fanbase being anti multiplayer.
Aslo, the performance is just not good at this point. If they can't up the FPS by launch they are in big trouble.
that being soad i think the rest of the negativity is all subjective with maybe the pvp/pve compromises being th eone exception.
There are however pvp only mechanics theyve added like the hunter hunted mode which show there is still promise on that front.

Overall im still excited to play with my friends b/c it has a great character progression and character build opportunties with a fun survival adventure loot grind loop. Basically it will be a really fun Sandbox to create your own character to dominate... just reeaallly needs better performance which i still hold some faith Bethesda can get it going.

To be objective though here is SKill Ups take. He never makes these types of vids and is the most intelligent/objective reviewer i know of but he pretty much lays out all the bad stuff.

VA $l!m

so i finally managed to find a youtuber that completely represents my own personal feelings on 76 minus the pc specific issues i dont have.
This guy does a rea good job explaining why this game is really fun despite the clickbaity hate train going on right now.
Me and my ESO friends are totally in love with it and cant wait for release.

VA $l!m

Fallout 76 withdrawls today, lol. Beta ended yesterday and launch is next wed.
Defintiely the first game in forever that gave me the beta withdrawls... constantly thinking of what i want to do next when it drops.

VA $l!m

massive fallout addiction  since launch 3? days ago... losing track of time, lol

tet

Quote from: VA $l!m on November 16, 2018, 02:29:25 PM
massive fallout addiction  since launch 3? days ago... losing track of time, lol

it's got its flaws but it's a hell of a good game.  there is SO much out there.  it's really a huge map and i haven't even scratched the surface - couldn't play much of the beta, and am only level 8 right now, and not even past step 3 or 4 of the main quest.
-Phish

gainesvillegreen

I'm glad you are enjoying Fallout 76. I am trying to figure out, to buy for a friend as FPShooters are not my thing, which to get for him: Fallout 76, Battlefield 5, or CoD BOIV. He just got a One S and has no (recent) history with any of these franchises.

Pretty much all the websites I follow for games are pooing on Fallout '76, however, they all are thinking about previous Fallout games and thus have a bunch of baggage this player will not. CoD seems like the safe bet, he does play online multiplayer, Fortnite, and the like.

I know the online multiplayer for Battlefield 5 won't be out until March...is there enough to do in this game until then? Seems like of the three, graphically speaking it is the best.

Perhaps a better way of asking this is: of the 3, which will people most likely be playing in a years time? Yes, RDR2, I know  :wtu:
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

VA $l!m

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on November 19, 2018, 09:20:10 PM
I'm glad you are enjoying Fallout 76. I am trying to figure out, to buy for a friend as FPShooters are not my thing, which to get for him: Fallout 76, Battlefield 5, or CoD BOIV. He just got a One S and has no (recent) history with any of these franchises.

Pretty much all the websites I follow for games are pooing on Fallout '76, however, they all are thinking about previous Fallout games and thus have a bunch of baggage this player will not. CoD seems like the safe bet, he does play online multiplayer, Fortnite, and the like.

I know the online multiplayer for Battlefield 5 won't be out until March...is there enough to do in this game until then? Seems like of the three, graphically speaking it is the best.

Perhaps a better way of asking this is: of the 3, which will people most likely be playing in a years time? Yes, RDR2, I know  :wtu:
first of all you're info abou BFV is completely wrong.  The only thing being added in march is the BattleRoyal. The full game is available now which includes campaign-- though really nothing gspecial and the full usual multiplayer modes of BF which have been the core of the game for the last decade. In other words the full game is out now and consists mainly of the huge multiplayer modes BF is known for. If realistic  mp online shooters are your thing then it is  the best buy out there.

on the other hand BO4's strong points are fast paced more arcadey mulitplayer modes and zombie modes plus a very well refined battle royal.
Really all the things that have divided COD fans from BF fans are still the same points of constention when choosing between the two-  BF has better graphics better realism and COD is more fast paced and arcadey.

RDR2 is probably going to be the best choice for someone that doesnt enjoy multiplayer games. it is uber immersive yet it has its flaws mostly in its action mechanics, eg- shooting , etc
definitely the winner as far as story driven/ immersion and overall quality of production.

Fallout is a very niche pick for a specific type of gamer... really hard to pick unless you know someone's specific preferences, or at the very least if theyve played the other fallouts. Its a real "not everyone likes licorice, but th epeople that like licorice really like licorice" type game.
-Its really going to appeal most to Fallout fans that also enjoy multiplayer  games that focus around character building.
It REALLY hits the spot for mmo enthusiasts... It has that mmo crack type addiction of continually progressing your character, but it also is a very detailed open world sandbox and can be very much enjoyed as a solo player playing at their own pace.
Definitely a tough pick for a casual gamer i'd say just b/c alot of the bugginess associated with a mmo type release- server issues, quests bugged, confusing mechanics.
--That being said it might be one of my top 5 games ever made, lol. I've already put in like 100 hours in a less than 2 weeks...  :crazy:
It just ticks so many boxes for me-- mmo type progression, great combat, post apocalyptic world, multiplayer, detailed sandbox world, base building, etc.
its definitel ythe most addicted ive been to a game this generation.

VA $l!m

Oh, and Gainsville as far as what game will people be palying in a year the answer is all of them.
All four being AAA  online titles will have a massive population a year from now.
Don't believe anything online that says a game is/will be 'dead'.
Online gaming media/ social media has gone full tilt 'fake news' as of this season. 99% of sites/channels are now bandwagonning hype either positive or negative, mostly negative, to get clicks views to the point of hysteria.
Both Battelfield and Fallout got the worst of it, though Battlefield recovered a bit.
RDR2 actually got completely overhyped on the postive side i can say now as well. a great game for sure, but definitely was given a free pass on some major flaws.
Fallout is the main target currently and you'll see a million posts a day tearing it down soley for clicks.
Theres literally no merit to 90% of the news/ 'reviews' being posted this year. its 'sad'

emay

There are some major flaws in RDR2 controls. Tutorial is pretty slacking too.
I want to pick up Spiderman actually heard some great things on that.
Will probably grab the Spyro reboot too lol.

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: VA $l!m on November 20, 2018, 12:24:38 PM
Quote from: gainesvillegreen on November 19, 2018, 09:20:10 PM

first of all you're info abou BFV is completely wrong.  The only thing being added in march is the BattleRoyal. The full game is available now which includes campaign-- though really nothing gspecial and the full usual multiplayer modes of BF which have been the core of the game for the last decade. In other words the full game is out now and consists mainly of the huge multiplayer modes BF is known for. If realistic  mp online shooters are your thing then it is  the best buy out there.

on the other hand BO4's strong points are fast paced more arcadey mulitplayer modes and zombie modes plus a very well refined battle royal.
Really all the things that have divided COD fans from BF fans are still the same points of constention when choosing between the two-  BF has better graphics better realism and COD is more fast paced and arcadey.

RDR2 is probably going to be the best choice for someone that doesnt enjoy multiplayer games. it is uber immersive yet it has its flaws mostly in its action mechanics, eg- shooting , etc
definitely the winner as far as story driven/ immersion and overall quality of production.

Fallout is a very niche pick for a specific type of gamer... really hard to pick unless you know someone's specific preferences, or at the very least if theyve played the other fallouts. Its a real "not everyone likes licorice, but th epeople that like licorice really like licorice" type game.
-Its really going to appeal most to Fallout fans that also enjoy multiplayer  games that focus around character building.
It REALLY hits the spot for mmo enthusiasts... It has that mmo crack type addiction of continually progressing your character, but it also is a very detailed open world sandbox and can be very much enjoyed as a solo player playing at their own pace.
Definitely a tough pick for a casual gamer i'd say just b/c alot of the bugginess associated with a mmo type release- server issues, quests bugged, confusing mechanics.
--That being said it might be one of my top 5 games ever made, lol. I've already put in like 100 hours in a less than 2 weeks...  :crazy:
It just ticks so many boxes for me-- mmo type progression, great combat, post apocalyptic world, multiplayer, detailed sandbox world, base building, etc.
its definitel ythe most addicted ive been to a game this generation.

You are absolutely right about the Battle Royale mode in BF5, I misspoke, and stand corrected.
I found Fallout 4 for him at a really good used price, so I will gift him that and if he likes it he can move on to Fallout 76. I know there are differences but I'll leave it up to him as like you said, the licorice thing.

I will leave COD Bo4 alone, and just couple the BF5 with the RDR2 which he really wants. I appreciate the feedback.
He's on Xbox, so God of War and Spider-Man aren't even considerations  :-(
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

rowjimmy

I'm still loving RDR2, honestly. But what do I know.

Playing the other night, I got the shit scared out of me by a bear.

tet

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 20, 2018, 10:09:52 PM
I'm still loving RDR2, honestly. But what do I know.

Playing the other night, I got the shit scared out of me by a bear.

oh you went into that cabin too, eh?  or just a bear in the wild, which pops up next to your horse and fucking destroys you?  because both have happened to me. 

RDR2 is my favorite still right now.  the real question is if my wife will kill me if i bring my XB1 to her parents for the next 2 days for Thanksgiving, where we'll be staying with the kids and extended family - as i basically will hook it up in the basement and ignore them the whole time.  that also happens to be where the good scotch is stored.
-Phish