News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

New LivePhish drop - 1998-11-11 Van Andel Arena, Grand Rapids, MI

Started by rowjimmy, April 23, 2019, 11:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

SET 1: Punch You in the Eye, Gumbo, If You Need a Fool, Sleep, Tela, Birds of a Feather, Theme From the Bottom, Julius

SET 2: Halley's Comet > Simple > Walk Away > Limb By Limb, When the Circus Comes, Ghost

ENCORE: Contact > Rocky Top > Funky Bitch

Grand Rapids '98 was recorded by Paul Languedoc to digital multitrack and mixed by Jon Altschiller.

Sounds pretty great.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 23, 2019, 11:07:19 AM
SET 1: Punch You in the Eye, Gumbo, If You Need a Fool, Sleep, Tela, Birds of a Feather, Theme From the Bottom, Julius

SET 2: Halley's Comet > Simple > Walk Away > Limb By Limb, When the Circus Comes, Ghost

ENCORE: Contact > Rocky Top > Funky Bitch

Grand Rapids '98 was recorded by Paul Languedoc to digital multitrack and mixed by Jon Altschiller.

Sounds pretty great.

It does. Also Tela. I love Tela.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

emay

Bobafett

I just listened to the first set whilst washing the windows.   Great sound, Tela is damn near perfect.  Solid first set.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Hicks

Release is legit AF, multitrack, big jams and only the fourth release from 98 in the last 10 years. 

Feck yeah! 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

G. Augusto

Just solid all around.
I hate when they release a show (good or bad) and people immediately poo on it and start rattling off "better" releases. The worst of the worst.
What they do need to do though is release 8-14-96.

Hicks

Quote from: G. Augusto on April 23, 2019, 02:36:17 PM
Just solid all around.
I hate when they release a show (good or bad) and people immediately poo on it and start rattling off "better" releases. The worst of the worst.

Ha, I will say we will all have a lot less reason to complain if they keep releasing shows at a rate of at least every 2-3 months. 

Making us wait almost a year is bullshit. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

PIE-GUY

It sounds a lot more audience-heavy than most archival releases. I love it!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

cactusfan

Now that's how you play Halley's.

Just solid all around.

Speaking of Halley's, they really do need to release 8-16-17.

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mistercharlie

Quote from: cactusfan on April 23, 2019, 04:56:39 PM
Now that's how you play Halley's.

Just solid all around.
I hate when they release a show (good or bad) and people immediately poo on it and start rattling off “better” releases. The worst of the worst.

Speaking of Halley's, they really do need to release 8-16-17.

Yeah, 2017 was a killer year for Halley's.  :mrgreen:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Gumbo72203

I've regularly listened to my Aud tapes of this show for years, so it's a little strange to listen to the SBD.  The sound of this Ghost on my aud is burned into my soul, and admittedly some of the moments (Page's solo, and the final peak wind-up) don't really jive so well on this ultra clear SBD mix.

However, this thing sounds fucking fantastic.  Probably the last great 1.0 Tela?  This thing is pure fire, and sounds so good.  The whole show is great.  PYITE is a perfect opener, and the rest of the first set is white-hot with playing - hell, even Sleep is amazing. 

The first set may have that Tela, but if we're being honest.... the Theme might steal the show.  I normally give almost zero fucks about this song, but man... this Theme is amazing. 

Second set....  well, we get a long Halley's and that's cool.  It's got some good sections, but it's not even my top 5. 

If you want to really hear how explosive this Ghost is, you should check the Aud.  It really makes the dynamics pop a little more.  The sound literally explodes from Mike in that last peak blast. 

Very thankful for this though, the Gumbo sounds amazing on this SBD.  Birds is pretty hot too, although I much prefer the Aud for the ending of this version; something about Fish's tom tom energy just really pops in the Aud and isn't captured on the SBD when he does his fill after the first rep of the wow-wow riff.  Check the aud, it's very noticeably different. 

We need 11/13/98 next from the Fall tho!
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

G. Augusto

Caravan2001

Quote from: G. Augusto on April 24, 2019, 03:55:51 PM
Bru.
11-13 was garbage.
Meat was good, tho.

11/14 much better.

I do think it's weird though because I remember in Worcester everyone saying how Amy picked the Wipeout show setlist because she thought the band was mailing it in, but there was so much good stuff leading up to that.  I mean, Hampton was right before that.  Tons of good stuff on this tour.  I ended up hanging out with her in Worcester, I should have asked her what her problem was lol.