News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Jazz Thread

Started by converse29, April 11, 2007, 01:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

she's great, thanks for posting

check out her remake of the Money Jungle album
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: slslbs on July 27, 2017, 09:54:33 AM
she's great, thanks for posting

check out her remake of the Money Jungle album

Thanks for the rec sls, going to check it out.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

jam>

New Kamasi Washington EP is good! Will buy the vinyl.

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sls.stormyrider

check out Christian McBride, New Jawn
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mopper_smurf

Punk jazz anyone? Meet Benjamin Herman's Bughouse

Going to see these guys on Jan 12.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

gah

Funny we've all been exploring some jazz....these young bloods out of london are bringing something special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwVtIPeYIeQ&start_radio=1&list=RDNwVtIPeYIeQ
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: gah on January 03, 2019, 03:07:00 PM
Funny we've all been exploring some jazz....these young bloods out of london are bringing something special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwVtIPeYIeQ&start_radio=1&list=RDNwVtIPeYIeQ

Nice. I need to hear more. Google in 4, 3, 2, 1 ..
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

mattstick

I've recently learned that many people are unaware that Thelonious Monk is a jazz musician, most people seem to believe he is a fictional detective.

gah

Quote from: mattstick on April 23, 2019, 10:08:51 AM

I've recently learned that many people are unaware that Thelonious Monk is a jazz musician, most people seem to believe he is a fictional detective.

shut up  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mattstick

sls.stormyrider

I guess I know what new music I will get for my B-Day now
:music:

mopper_smurf

Twitter | FB | Instagram

mattstick

New Art Blakey!

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/149646/Art_Blakey__The_Jazz_Messengers-Just_Coolin-Vinyl_Record

Unreleased studio date with Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers!

No drummer more palpably imprinted their sonic identity and aesthetic principles on the soundtrack and culture of late 20th- and early 21st-century jazz than Art Blakey.

In early 2020, Blue Note plans to release Just Coolin', a previously unissued studio date from March 8, 1959, with the same personnel: Lee Morgan on trumpet, DownBeat Hall of Fame inductee Hank Mobley on tenor saxophone, Bobby Timmons on piano and Jymie Merritt on bass — who made the classic live album At The Jazz Corner Of The World five weeks later.

For 35 years, Blakey's vehicle was the Jazz Messengers; their message remains as vibrant as ever in the year of the leader's centennial. Tribute bands led by acolytes Ralph Peterson, Carl Allen and Lewis Nash continue to channel Blakey's mojo on Messenger repertoire by notable alumni such as Benny Golson, Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, Curtis Fuller and Bobby Watson.

Blakey's five-star drumming was the core of his immense footprint. "Art could reach inside your emotions," Golson said on WKCR in 1996. "There was no wasted effort when he played. It was meaningful, logical and sounded fantastic — the epitome of swinging. His style was such that you didn't want to hear or play with any other style."

Side A:
   1. Hipsippy Blues
   2. Close Your Eyes
   3. Jimerick

Side B:
   1. Quick Trick
   2. M&M
   3. Just Coolin'

sls.stormyrider

cool, thanks for the heads up