News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Greta Van Fleet!!!!

Started by mistercharlie, June 05, 2018, 08:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopper_smurf

GVF missed the "be thyself" point.

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

aphineday

Lots of hate in here, but I'm thouroghly digging this. God forbid we play some straight up rock n roll, right? Credit to Zeppelin obviously, but I love this!
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

mistercharlie

Quote from: aphineday on October 25, 2018, 12:43:21 PM
Lots of hate in here, but I'm thouroghly digging this. God forbid we play some straight up rock n roll, right? Credit to Zeppelin obviously, but I love this!

Yeah, I've noticed that a lot of people hate them, but I am not one of them... I love this shit!

Check out this half hour version of Lover Leaver Taker Believer:

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mopper_smurf

Quote from: aphineday on October 25, 2018, 12:43:21 PM

I love straight up rock 'n'roll...

I tried to like GVF and checked some of their live stuf, but somehow I lose interest after a couple of minutes.  Never happens when I dig out a LZ bootleg.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Hicks

It's not that they play straight up rock n roll, it's the way they employ each and every rock cliche and are dead serious the whole time that makes it seem like it's just a big joke and yet somehow they aren't in on it. 

When I watched them I kept expecting them to break character with a wink or some acknowledgement of how ridiculous the lead singer's stage presence was, but then I realized that to them it wasn't a schtick at all, they actually think they are the real deal. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VA $l!m

Quote from: Hicks on October 25, 2018, 02:45:41 PM
It's not that they play straight up rock n roll, it's the way they employ each and every rock cliche and are dead serious the whole time that makes it seem like it's just a big joke and yet somehow they aren't in on it. 

When I watched them I kept expecting them to break character with a wink or some acknowledgement of how ridiculous the lead singer's stage presence was, but then I realized that to them it wasn't a schtick at all, they actually think they are the real deal.
nail on head dude. well put.

For example, I was just watching that video and I  said to myself: "I'm going to check out the guitarists amp and i bet you a million dollars its a  'Marshall stack'" ...yup.

I think the real weird thing is that they sound too polished for the aesthtic theyre 'parodying'. I mean, if you wanna be LEd Zeppelin you really need a sloppy doped up guitar player and super messy on JAck drummer that cant contain himself. This stuff looks more like some Asian Kareoke cover band that doesnt quite get the Western sensibility its emulating.

IDk, thats just my take watching that vid.
I mighta liked it more if i just heard the music without pictures.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

VA $l!m

ps that reminded me i was thinkin the other day how much i miss these guys  :mrgreen:

mistercharlie

The best thing I've seen said about the Led Zep comparisons was this:

"Saying GVF suck because they sound too much like Zeppelin is like saying a chick isn't hot because she looks too much like Jessica Alba, but isn't Jessica Alba."
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Buffalo Budd

Let's get one thing clear though, the guitarist and drummer wouldn't be talented enough to be Page and Bonham's roadies.
Bass player slightly better, but still.

That's like comparing Molly Ringwald to Jessica Alba.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

VA $l!m

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on October 25, 2018, 06:03:04 PM
Let's get one thing clear though, the guitarist and drummer wouldn't be talented enough to be Page and Bonham's roadies.
Bass player slightly better, but still.

That's like comparing Molly Ringwald to Jessica Alba.
er  the singer carries everything.
--and god the poor thing...he will never be sexy.

i watched a few more vids on youtube and i gotta agree with alot of the comments i saw that  people are just so starved for real rock that they appease that itch, but in reality they are pretty hollow and prefab. I mean maybe after they make a few albums and do alot fo drugs they could be interesting, but right now they really sound like a band playing a demo for a & r reps to me... just way too safe.

It has nothing to with Zeppelin. Pick any heavy classic rock band. I hear alot of Sabbath in their shit too.

mbw

I would totally bang Molly Ringwald.

mistercharlie

Quote from: mbw on October 25, 2018, 06:26:08 PM
I would totally bang Molly Ringwald.

In the 80's I thought she was the hottest. Now I prefer Jessica Alba. I switched from redheads to brunettes after having a crazy redheaded girlfriend.

VA $l!m

ya know i was thinking their situation really reminds of how the BLack Crowes were perceived after their first album.
a straight rock and roll band- in their case compared heavily to the Rolling Stones, very polished sound with great songs, but not exactly inspiring or creative musicianship.
The Crowes then completely  revamped their lineup with some  badass musicians, stopped worrying about mainstream success and went on to create some serious music.
so there's hope for these guys. i'll def. keep paying attention.

mistercharlie

Quote from: VA $l!m on October 25, 2018, 07:00:05 PM
ya know i was thinking their situation really reminds of how the BLack Crowes were perceived after their first album.
a straight rock and roll band- in their case compared heavily to the Rolling Stones, very polished sound with great songs, but not exactly inspiring or creative musicianship.
The Crowes then completely  revamped their lineup with some  badass musicians, stopped worrying about mainstream success and went on to create some serious music.
so there's hope for these guys. i'll def. keep paying attention.

Yeah, there's lots of room to grow for them. The two oldest are only 22. They'll get better as time goes on for sure.

Buffalo Budd

Mr. C, I don't mean to diminish your view on these guys. I'm sure there are plenty of bands I've gone to see that most here would laugh at (cough - Jack Johnson). I just think there is a lot of hype for basically a recycled product. Maybe in 5 - 10 years, I'll be eating my words and you will have gotten in on the ground floor.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.