News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Quitting is Contagious

Started by gah, April 20, 2009, 10:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

pcr3

Quote from: gah on October 22, 2018, 04:24:10 PM
Hit 8 weeks yesterday. The three night run this weekend was kinda tough, and probably the first time in about a month that I considered or even had the thought of smoking. But I made it through, and am at 57 days nicotine free. Just checking in and seeing how everyone else is doing?

I'm doing really well with the new vape, though I definitely had a few butts in Albany courtesy of a certain French-Canadian. The good thing was that I didn't crave them before, during, or after. It was truly just a social thing.

I started with the highest nic content for my first juice "bottle". I will kill it after nearly a month, so I think I'm gonna drop down on the next one. Hopefully that goes well.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

gah

Quote from: pcr3 on October 22, 2018, 05:37:19 PM
Hit 8 weeks yesterday. The three night run this weekend was kinda tough, and probably the first time in about a month that I considered or even had the thought of smoking. But I made it through, and am at 57 days nicotine free. Just checking in and seeing how everyone else is doing?

I'm doing really well with the new vape, though I definitely had a few butts in Albany courtesy of a certain French-Canadian. The good thing was that I didn't crave them before, during, or after. It was truly just a social thing.

I started with the highest nic content for my first juice "bottle". I will kill it after nearly a month, so I think I'm gonna drop down on the next one. Hopefully that goes well.

That's it man. Just keep dropping. And sometiems when you drop down to the next level, it's easier to mix it with whatever is left of your current bottle...helps when the transition to the lower nicotine level....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

PIE-GUY

I'm doing fucking awful. I had a cigarette before 8am today.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 23, 2018, 09:43:02 AM

I'm doing fucking awful. I had a cigarette before 8am today.

bruh! what's up with that? I thought you were just doing the snus/pouches anyway, and just the occasional smoke? Either way, it's not awful, there's no judgement of good or bad, that's a dichotomy that falsely creates the illusion of shame and/or guilt. No man, you're just being, and that's just fine. Maybe tmrw just try and skip that morning smoke and post on here instead?

VA $l!m

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

sls.stormyrider

we have been referring patients to this program. The pulmonologist who is spearheading it locally gives it good reviews. Nothing to lose, imo

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

gah

90 days today. And you know what? I'd love a smoke or a dip or a vape or anything right about now. HA! Fucking nicotine.  :shakehead:

Bobafett

Way to be GAH.

My update is as follows:
Began this journey with 12 smokes a day about 3 months ago.
Used 9mg juice and have tapered down to 3 smokes a day and using 6 mg juice.  I've only used 1.25 bottles of liquid so far, so maybe I should use it more?  I'm hoping by nye I'm down to just juice and a new bottle of 3 mg liquid.  It's really hardest when I eat too much or have to bail the dumbass cooks out at work.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

gah

Quote from: Bobafett on November 24, 2018, 05:12:51 PM
Way to be GAH.

My update is as follows:
Began this journey with 12 smokes a day about 3 months ago.
Used 9mg juice and have tapered down to 3 smokes a day and using 6 mg juice.  I've only used 1.25 bottles of liquid so far, so maybe I should use it more?  I'm hoping by nye I'm down to just juice and a new bottle of 3 mg liquid.  It's really hardest when I eat too much or have to bail the dumbass cooks out at work.

Dude, you're making progress, and you're moving forward, and you have a plan....and that's all that matters. Keep working at it, and I'm sure you'll be down to just the liquid soon enough. It def took me a little time to transition over the the vape only....but once I did, that's when I really felt like I had some control of the situation and could begin the taper. Dont' sweat moving down to the 3mg too soon, try and get rid of those last three smokes a day first. (just my thoughts on it, of course, you should do whatever you feel comfortable with and in your own approach)

VA $l!m

Does anyone here have experience trying to quit using the patch? what's it like?

i'm getting desperate with my other health issues and feel like quitting smoking is my only hope atm.

I had alergic reaction to serotonin uptake inhibators or w/e they are called that they use...basically prozac i think? idk, but i can't do the pysch meds route.. i think nicotine detox is my only chance.

I've seen studies how its exponentially harder for people with chronic pain to quit so idk.. but i gotta try something.

PIE-GUY

The only thing that worked for me is the nicotine lozenges. I like the mini ones. You tuck it in your lip and it just keeps you from kicking the dog, if you know what I mean. Start with having one in your every waking moment then slowly ween yourself off them by waiting until you really need the next one. Usually takes me 2-3 weeks to ween down to no longer needing them... ymmv. 

VA $l!m

Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 23, 2022, 11:38:26 PMThe only thing that worked for me is the nicotine lozenges. I like the mini ones. You tuck it in your lip and it just keeps you from kicking the dog, if you know what I mean. Start with having one in your every waking moment then slowly ween yourself off them by waiting until you really need the next one. Usually takes me 2-3 weeks to ween down to no longer needing them... ymmv.
im assuming thats same sorta premise as nicotine gum

PIE-GUY

Quote from: VA $l!m on October 24, 2022, 02:14:31 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 23, 2022, 11:38:26 PMThe only thing that worked for me is the nicotine lozenges. I like the mini ones. You tuck it in your lip and it just keeps you from kicking the dog, if you know what I mean. Start with having one in your every waking moment then slowly ween yourself off them by waiting until you really need the next one. Usually takes me 2-3 weeks to ween down to no longer needing them... ymmv.

Yes, but the mini-lozenges actually melt away - takes about 30 minutes - where the gum just stays in your mouth forever until you spit it out. I found myself with the same piece gum in my mouth for 2 hours, long after any nicotine was still left in it. That's not helpful because the cravings were there and seemed like the gum wasn't working. The mini lozenges are so small nobody you're talking with would ever know they're there. But you will. And when one is gone you know it's time for another - at least in the beginning. 

Caravan2001

yeah, the patch and the gum i
Quote from: VA $l!m on October 24, 2022, 02:14:31 PM

The patch and the gum are kind of a pain.  Mini-lozenges are the best option, like PG says. The regular size lozenges are like horse pills so you have to go with the minis. I've been hooked on the minis, but it's better than smoking/chewing.  Def kills any craving though you might eat them like chiclets at first.  Don't get nicorrette brand, get store brand they are way cheaper.  Walmart/Walgreens has them cheapest, Amazon also has a bunch of generics too. You'd probably want to start with 4mg if you are a pack a day but you can switch to 2mg pretty quickly. It's getting off the 2mg that is a struggle for me. Good luck.