News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/12 - Merriweather Post Pavilion - Columbia, MD - Post-Show Discussion/Review

Started by rowjimmy, June 12, 2011, 11:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zimbra

Quote from: Poster Nutbag on June 14, 2011, 06:32:18 PM
Quote from: JPhishman on June 14, 2011, 06:24:37 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on June 14, 2011, 01:35:03 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on June 14, 2011, 12:10:38 PM
Boogie On is WAY overplayed these days.....I like it, but c'mon.  Once a tour is enough.....

THANK YOU!

Not that I don't still enjoy it when it really comes down to it, but I began to tire of this song when they cut off Tweezer with it in Telluride.

And yes!!! I don't really ride the bitch wagon, when it comes to overly complaining about the lack of jams...
But I pretty do want to demand at least 14+ minute Tweezers and Ghosts... It's just aggravating, this is not mandatory in Phish's eyes...

I support this conversation.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

ytowndan

Quote from: goodabouthood on June 14, 2011, 11:21:49 AM
Quote from: mistercharlie on June 14, 2011, 04:52:26 AM
So wait, the Alaskas that exist in both a shows first set and second set somehow manage to not kill the sets?

Confusing venn diagram is confusing.

Yeah, that makes no sense. It's stating that when Alaska occurs in both sets, they're ok?

Venn diagram fail.

He updated his post

QuoteEDIT: I suck at Venn Diagrams. Of course it makes no sense. Was trying to show slightly more Set II Alaskas and a very tiny proportion of totality that didn't ruin flow of set. I think this would have been easier to understand:

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

danje

Gumbo72203

Quote from: danje on June 14, 2011, 09:07:51 PM
I liked the whole 3.0 style set II.

You know, I was just thinking about something.  Yeah, I think Alaska kind of brought the energy down with what could have been an epic set finish......   BUT, I almost think the boys are trying to purposefully limit their jamming, in order to get the most out of it.

In a way, I think they're reverting to an early 90's form of themselves:  many songs, concise jamming, tight playing, getting to the point.  Jumping all over the place, letting the shows take an arc with the songs they play.  It just so happens that they have songs that are expected to be big and long.  Now, I'm not sure if the end products we're getting is the result of this mentality, or simply a fear of letting the vibe die.  I'm listening to the Carini -> Piper from PNC, and Carini felt like it could have kept going, but the minute that there was a little lull, Trey started up with Piper, especially when they could have let it at least fizzle a bit more for a bigger contrast.

Now, in a way, I think this is a good thing, with them purposefully limiting themselves with the jams in order to have zero wasted time and have every note matter.  They want to have the glass be full for the entirety of the jam.  This is what happened with Phish during pH; they gradually began extending songs because they were confident in their ability to maintain that interest in the jamming, and not have any bland space. 

However, I do disagree in my feeling that I believe they can capably play long jams that are worth listening to, like the bday Disease.  And I also want them to take risks, rather than only doing what they feel comfortable with doing.  But on the other hand, if Trey REALLY doesn't feel like he can carry a jam for 20 minutes, I dont want him to go PH on us or Treyboard, although I will admit I wish I couldve seen some of the jams with Trey on the keyboard.

BUT, overall, I feel like they are purposefully cutting themselves short in order to wring out the most soulful and wortwhile playing without anything extra that is unnecessary, in order to gain a comforta with the material and gain that intuitive notion of being able to craft interesting sets on the fly that have the arc and range and depth of a pre-thought-out setlist.  Because only when they are fully confident, in their subconscious, that they can fill the jamming glass every time will they begin making the glass bigger and extending the length.

I mean, in another way though, I think they're getting better at it already, because all of the sets we've been getting have been like, 8-9 minutes total average song length.  And I think this also makes it better for the band, because when they agree to let it go out there, they'll be more excited about doing so since its something fresh again for them, in that they haven't been doing a lot. 

Although the PNC Piper does make things really confusing, because Trey seems to have no ideas, then goes over to Mike and then says something, presumably informing the Twist segue, and then suddenly pulls out some sick licks, and gets into a really sweet piano-led jam, and then Page comes in with the organ, only to have Mike appear to count off Twist out of nowhere, so...  again, I really have no idea about anything whatsoever.  It could have just been their worry about not getting the whole set in since this stuff was coming in the middle of the set with a few other big songs left to play still, even though the set ended up being only just over an hour which is really really short for 3.0

sick HD video of the whole Carini>Piper>Twist bit.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

UncleEbinezer

Listen to Mike in Wolfman's starting around 5min - 5:45ish.  Its worth listening through the meh.  I'd queue it up at about 4:30 just so you feel what's going on and then listen through it. 

Its driving, dark and full of win!

On the critical side of this, Mike was pushing one direction and Trey was not having it.  Its sad, because I can only imagine where it would have went.  Probably not into Boogie.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

mistercharlie

While I absolutely love Boogie On and never tire of hearing it, I wish Trey could remember the lyrics. He has always had a hard time remembering them and almost always screws them up.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

aphineday

Quote from: mistercharlie on June 15, 2011, 12:00:44 PM
While I absolutely love Boogie On and never tire of hearing it, I wish Trey could remember the lyrics. He has always had a hard time remembering them and almost always screws them up.
F'real. I love the cover, but whole-heartedly agree with RJ that this bitch is over played. Also, the Carini's this tour... give me a break! It was cool when it was rare.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

McGrupp

Quote from: aphineday on June 15, 2011, 12:15:02 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on June 15, 2011, 12:00:44 PM
F'real. I love the cover, but whole-heartedly agree with RJ that this bitch is over played. Also, the Carini's this tour... give me a break! It was cool when it was rare.

All of this- especially the 2nd part.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sMILEy

Had a great time at this show. the encore was great!
I definitely enjoyed this show more then the two shows before it.
Wolfmans was great.
JJLC was something i didn't think i'd be hearing. cool to hear it.
Hood was good, hopefully by playing it so much they'll start jamming and doing some crazy stuff with it.
Backwards down the number line was cool jsut because it was a buddy's birthday that night, so we were hoping they'd play it.
And obviously, Makisupa policeman was great just because of the lot situation...
It was a very fun show, enjoyed it a lot.

Superfreakie

Quote from: sMILEy on June 16, 2011, 10:55:48 PM
Wolfmans was great.
Hood was good, hopefully by playing it so much they'll start jamming and doing some crazy stuff with it.
Backwards down the number line was cool jsut because it was a buddy's birthday that night, so we were hoping they'd play it.
And obviously, Makisupa policeman was great just because of the lot situation...

:banana:
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

phil

Quote from: Superfreakie on June 16, 2011, 11:03:08 PM
Quote from: sMILEy on June 16, 2011, 10:55:48 PM
Wolfmans was great.

:banana:

I must say, I listened to the encore today and that makisupa had me cracking up :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

anthrax

at the very end of Boogie, Page is trying to get them back into Wolfmans, but Trey totally misses it.   :frustrated:  how could he not hear that?