News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2017-7-22 MSG, New York, NY

Started by anthrax, July 22, 2017, 11:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman

Had a blast last night. Love me some first set jamming. Set 2 was great, love how they are digging deep into the song catalog. Also peaches, cities as an encore?! Hell yes.
I'm coming back for as many shows as I can swing
Paug FTMFW!

sls.stormyrider

These shows are great. Summer plans / obligations prevented my from going down there, I sure am regretting it
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

McGrupp

Quote from: slslbs on July 23, 2017, 02:43:44 PM
These shows are great. Summer plans / obligations prevented my from going down there, I sure am regretting it
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

mattstick

Is it weird that I only knew Strawberry Letter 23 from the Girl Talk sample?

ytowndan

Quote from: mattstick on July 24, 2017, 12:06:40 PM

Is it weird that I only knew Strawberry Letter 23 from the Girl Talk sample?

Heh, I guess not.  I always associate it with Jackie Brown, since that's where I first heard it.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

westcider

The original version by Shuggie Otis is superior to the cover, and I think the ending inspired the ending of Bouncin.

In case no one noticed the tie-in, Shuggie played bass on the studio version of Peaches En Regalia.

VDB

Quote from: westcider on July 24, 2017, 03:43:25 PM
The original version by Shuggie Otis is superior to the cover, and I think the ending inspired the ending of Bouncin.

In case no one noticed the tie-in, Shuggie played bass on the studio version of Peaches En Regalia.

Did not know that, nice factoid.
Is this still Wombat?

Gumbo72203

So, this was fucking great.  I kind of was in a drag mood when they did Strawberry fields acapella instead of full-band, and then a jamless Halley's and then Moma up next, I was like "oh god, here we go, another Sat night chomper set...." and then WHAM, 2 unfinished first set songs in a row!  Who knew.  Although the Sat night chomper crowd was in full effect as people were coming and going in our section during the Moma jam. 

Like, why the fuck are you even here if you're going to ignore a first set Type II Moma Dance!?  Kill yourselves!  hahaha I kid (not really).  But seriously, having to keep moving because Jessie didn't get the right beer she told her boyfriend to grab and why did he have to take so long when the beer stand IS RIGHT THERE like omg when you just want to sink into this rarest of rare things in 3.0?  :::shakes fists::: 

Okay so, this 2nd set was so weird to me.  HUGE start with likely the 2nd best 3.0 Disease (#1 will always be Reading) and then a cool down into Strawberry and then BIRDS in the 3 slot?  Prepare for a MASSIVE Birds, what with them having already jammed out a SOTG song earlier right?  NOPE.  I was super psyched to finally see I Always Wanted It This Way and that was a lot of fun.  Everything was well-played, it just had such a weird non-flow to it for me.  SOAM in the 4th quarter?  Sure, okay!  That got cool for a moment and then it felt like they kinda just lackadaisically went into the ending theme.  But Trey knew how good the Disease was earlier, and wanted to shred again!  So why not! 

This Disease is the 3.0 version of the Camden Chalkdust:  big, sustained lines from Trey drenched in delay and feedback.  Soaring and stratospheric.  So good.  Behind the stage sound sucked where we were, so I'm kinda bummed I didn't get to dance to that with 100% optimal conditions but it was unreal. 

Encore ruled.  Although having a jammed out Cities removed from contention is a bit of a tough pill to swallow haha. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

ph92

Didn't he play on all of hot rats?

Also this Moma is HOT, loving jams in set 1 this tour

Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

Gumbo72203

Finally getting a chance to re-listen to the SOAM.... this is great stuff!  Weird, dark... gooey.  Dripping with delay.  It's working.  SOAMelt never really "works" for me in 3.0 and coheres into something where I can say "oh yeah okay I see what they're doing it."  But this jam had a common thread in Trey's playing with what he was trying to do, I felt.  Even if it is based on how he's using his pedals, I'm counting it.  It has a standalone, unique identity and character which I don't think is something you can say about most 3.0 Melts?

It'd be nice if they brought the jam's theme back with some energy once though... they kinda just plod into it here, and then Trey brings the closing chords in kinda randomly.  Great jam though!

Disease Reprise is all kinds of fun.  Page takes the lead on this one, and it's great.  I've always wanted them to do this.... where Trey plays the lick, they jam, he brings the lick back, and launches back into the jam.  Not sure it's ever happened before, even in a standalone disease. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

westcider

Quote from: ph92 on July 24, 2017, 05:21:31 PM

Didn't he play on all of hot rats?

Also this Moma is HOT, loving jams in set 1 this tour

Just Peaches, it was Max Bennett on the rest of the album. Apparently he just did that one song with Zappa, though George Duke and Aynsley Dunbar appear on his Freedom Flight album (with Strawberry Letter 23) so they seem to have maintained the association.

Just to clarify, the thing about Bouncin is a hunch I have, not based on any word from the band.