News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2012 Election Thread

Started by runawayjimbo, January 03, 2012, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Undermind

Overheard at work today
"Yeah, I think I'm going to vote for Newt.  At least he has an American name.  Not Isreali like Obama!"
:frustrated:
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

kellerb

Quote from: Undermind on January 27, 2012, 07:25:38 PM
Overheard at work today
"Yeah, I think I'm going to vote for Newt.  At least he has an American name.  Not Isreali like Obama!"

When they can't even get the racism right, it makes my temples throb.

Guyute

Quote from: kellerb on January 27, 2012, 08:23:48 PM
Quote from: Undermind on January 27, 2012, 07:25:38 PM
Overheard at work today

When they can't even get the racism right, it makes my temples throb.

I am more amused that "Newt" is an American name even more so than the other stupidity.   A Newt is something they turn you into if you are looking for the Holy Grail in Europe.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

twatts

Quote from: Guyute on January 30, 2012, 12:16:03 PM
A Newt is something they turn you into if you are looking for the Holy Grail in Europe.

"I got better..."

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

gah

Quote from: runawayjimbo on January 27, 2012, 04:37:49 PM

Quote from: slslbs on January 26, 2012, 07:35:28 PM
ETA - was anyone else surprised / outraged to find out that Congress is aloud to trade securities based on insider info??? Unfriggin' real.
The way this made it into  SOTU is that Scott Brown authored a bill to outlaw it. It was introduced in November. Reid announced today that it will come to the Senate for vote.

This story was broke by 60 Minutes in November. WARNING: this video is highly enraging.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7388130n

Yeah, I can't remember where I'd first read about this. I think it was in Time or Newsweek, talking about how technically there's no laws against it. Actually, it claimed it wasn't insider info per se as it pertains to business activities, but moreso about making trades that benefit them in industries that are going to be affected by the very laws they are about to write into legislation. I don't know if that's what the 60 mins vid is about, but I'm not in the mood to be enraged so I'm going to hold off on watching that.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

rowjimmy

VDB

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 01, 2012, 01:15:40 PM
Romney says, "I'm not concerned about the very poor."

http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/01/mitt-romney-middle-income-americans-are-focus-not-very-poor/

What a t00l.

Strange thing to just blurt right out loud. Is he also saying the prescription for abject poverty will never be anything more than a "safety net" -- that he can't/won't imagine policies that could systematically lift people out of poverty?

One way or another, I can't imagine this quote will be going away any time soon...
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

he oughta just stick to singing America the Beautiful

:roll:
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Superfreakie

Quote from: slslbs on February 01, 2012, 01:54:02 PM
he oughta just stick to singing America the Beautiful

:roll:

I "loved" how that performance followed on the heels of Obama's short serenade in Harlem. Romney's political apparatus is so contrived it hurts my intelligence.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

gah

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on February 01, 2012, 01:48:13 PM

http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/01/mitt-romney-middle-income-americans-are-focus-not-very-poor/

What a t00l.

Strange thing to just blurt right out loud. Is he also saying the prescription for abject poverty will never be anything more than a "safety net" -- that he can't/won't imagine policies that could systematically lift people out of poverty?

One way or another, I can't imagine this quote will be going away any time soon...

And the disconnect by politicians from the reality the rest of us live in continues... :shakehead:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: goodabouthood on February 01, 2012, 03:23:59 PM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on February 01, 2012, 01:48:13 PM

What a t00l.

And the disconnect by politicians from the reality the rest of us live in continues... :shakehead:

Pfft, like you've never made a $10,000 bet.

It's definitely a setback the day after he wins Florida, but I don't know that this will hang over Romney that long (although it will obviously be playing in a campaign ad near you in the fall). There's just too many things not to like about Mitt, like singing 3 verses of America the Beautiful...poorly. When he promises to increase the size of the military, fix SS & Medicare/aid, and balance the budget without raising taxes it makes my brain hurt.

Quote from: Superfreakie on January 26, 2012, 09:28:28 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on January 26, 2012, 05:51:08 PM
Will we be at war with Iran before the election?

I stopped reading there.

This, I assure you, will not happen.

The drums are beating louder, Freakie.

Iran, perceiving threat from West, willing to attack on U.S. soil, U.S. intelligence report finds

An assessment by U.S. spy agencies concludes that Iran is prepared to launch terrorist attacks inside the United States, highlighting new risks as the Obama administration escalates pressure on Tehran to halt its alleged pursuit of an atomic bomb.

In congressional testimony Tuesday, U.S. intelligence officials indicated that Iran has crossed a threshold in its adversarial relationship with the United States. While Iran has long been linked to attacks on American targets overseas, U.S. officials said they see troubling significance in Tehran's alleged role in a plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador in Washington last year.

U.S. officials said they have seen no intelligence to indicate that Iran is actively plotting attacks on U.S. soil.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

runawayjimbo

Trump to endorse Gingrich Romney who gives a shit?

The better question, I think, would be why anyone would want Trump's endorsement.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

VDB

Quote from: runawayjimbo on February 02, 2012, 11:51:42 AM
Trump to endorse Gingrich Romney who gives a shit?

The better question, I think, would be why anyone would want Trump's endorsement.

I was wondering the same things.
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

anyone see Ron Paul last night on Piers Morgan?
I don't agree with Paul on many things, and would never vote for him. I'm not a strict constructionist and I don't believe in a laissez faire approach to the markets.

but, I do respect him. He seems honest and genuine. He doesn't seem like a "player" - he's not out attacking the other guy. he is out defending his views and arguing for them, and arguing against opposite policies, not opposite personalities
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Superfreakie

Quote from: slslbs on February 04, 2012, 05:28:00 PM
anyone see Ron Paul last night on Piers Morgan?
I don't agree with Paul on many things, and would never vote for him. I'm not a strict constructionist and I don't believe in a laissez faire approach to the markets.

but, I do respect him. He seems honest and genuine. He doesn't seem like a "player" - he's not out attacking the other guy. he is out defending his views and arguing for them, and arguing against opposite policies, not opposite personalities

I did see the interview and walked away with a similar feeling. If America's politicians were to take a page or two from his approach to political life (not necessarily policies), the country would be well served. Also exposed Piers for the shambling mental midget that he is.   
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.