News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Yes I have a Mac, where to go from here...

Started by whatapiper, May 23, 2009, 01:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

Todd - I can ask the IT guys here what they do to wipe the HDDs on iMacs.  Obviously being hospital research machines they have some security procedures in place around that...

Here's something I found today that may interest some people here:

http://goo.gl/y17lN4

Apple begins 2011-2013 MacBook Pro repair program for machines with video issues

Caravan2001

Quote from: mattstick on February 20, 2015, 09:09:40 AM

Todd - I can ask the IT guys here what they do to wipe the HDDs on iMacs.  Obviously being hospital research machines they have some security procedures in place around that...

Here's something I found today that may interest some people here:

http://goo.gl/y17lN4

Apple begins 2011-2013 MacBook Pro repair program for machines with video issues

Thanks.  The issue though is that I can't get the machine up (toasted power supply), so my issue is getting access to it.  Saw some tutorials on line and while not impossible, it's pretty labor intensive to remove the cover and glass. Maybe I should put the whole thing in the drill press!

rowjimmy

Something so pleasant about the process of setting up a "new" machine.
Pulling down the apps that you know you need, leaving behind the ones you'll never use again.
Likewise with the data...

Caravan2001

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 20, 2015, 11:56:33 AM
Something so pleasant about the process of setting up a "new" machine.
Pulling down the apps that you know you need, leaving behind the ones you'll never use again.
Likewise with the data...

Yep, I've been enjoying.  Bringing lover the entire iTunes library which prob needs some scrubbing (and is taking forever) but I'll go through it when I have time and get rid of some stuff.  Got rid of a ton of apps, will just start with fresh new versions and just backed up document folders and such, but besides pictures and music, I'm leaving the rest on an old backup.  I also started a new iPhoto library.  Just learned how to create multiple libraries (holding down option while launching) which is sweet.  My old photo library is 200gb and browsing was a nightmare.  Starting with a fresh library but happy I have easy access to the old picture vault.

rowjimmy

Good tip on the photo library business.
Got my iTunes moved over without a blip. Moving docs now.

LOVING the larger screen.

Caravan2001

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 21, 2015, 01:05:30 PM
Good tip on the photo library business.
Got my iTunes moved over without a blip. Moving docs now.

LOVING the larger screen.

Thought I had moved over the iTunes smoothly.  Got all the media (music and video) but did it in such a way that I lost all my playlists.  Not a huge deal, but I did have about 100+ playlists.  Can do most of them over, but I lost some killer mixes.  Oh well, playlists are fun to make.

sls.stormyrider

congrats on the new mac

I'm a little dismayed to hear that 09s are biting the dust.
I got 6 years out of my Dell - was hoping to get more out of the Mac
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

Quote from: slslbs on February 22, 2015, 12:11:30 AM
congrats on the new mac

It's variable with all things.
I've got a friend who runs a shop here in town and it's got four iMacs that are older than that. All are running strong.

Caravan2001

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 22, 2015, 10:27:31 AM
congrats on the new mac

I've got a friend who runs a shop here in town and it's got four iMacs that are older than that. All are running strong.

Agreed.  My thing just overheated and the power supply fried.  The way the older iMacs are built, replacing the PS was just more of a hassle, plus it was just so bogged down and running slow.  I was looking for an excuse for a new comp, and got one.  The later iMacs are more expandable (HD and RAM) and I would imagine the store could easily swap out PS.  I just didn't want to drop any money into mine.  Yours should be good for years.  My MacPro which was two machines ago, still runs perfectly.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Caravan2001 on February 22, 2015, 02:20:37 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on February 22, 2015, 10:27:31 AM
congrats on the new mac

Agreed.  My thing just overheated and the power supply fried.  The way the older iMacs are built, replacing the PS was just more of a hassle, plus it was just so bogged down and running slow.  I was looking for an excuse for a new comp, and got one.  The later iMacs are more expandable (HD and RAM) and I would imagine the store could easily swap out PS.  I just didn't want to drop any money into mine.  Yours should be good for years.  My MacPro which was two machines ago, still runs perfectly.

Yeah and my '09 MBP is running way better now that I've spent time cleaning it up for the kids.

sls.stormyrider

I just had a malware pop up. I closed out, googled it, went to the mac support page, did all the steps to manually remove the program but in fact nothing popped up.
The mac is running fine now - I enabled adbloc for Safari and did a couple other things.
I don't particularly want to d/l any malware removal tools because some of them contain malware themselves.

Any suggestions on what, if anything, I should do now?

thx
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VDB

Seems my MBP power adapter has shat the bed. Before I drop $75 on an OEM replacement, seeing if any of youse have had better luck with a third-party option than the online reviewers who, in large numbers, pan them as either unreliable or unsafe.
Is this still Wombat?

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on November 05, 2015, 12:49:27 PM
Seems my MBP power adapter has shat the bed. Before I drop $75 on an OEM replacement, seeing if any of youse have had better luck with a third-party option than the online reviewers who, in large numbers, pan them as either unreliable or unsafe.

I grabbed one off Ebay for $26 shipped. It was refurbished but worked like a charm until I dropped the MBP.
So when I got my MacBook Air, I was able to sell the old charger on Kijiji for $30.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

VDB

My MacBook Pro took a wee tumble the other night and shortly thereafter the HDD went belly-up. Took that as an opportunity to make the long-put-off upgrade to a nice, shiny SSD. Seems pretty brisk so far.
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

pardon my ignorance - you installed a new HD into an old MBP?

What version MBP was it?
How much did it set you back?
Were you able to do it yourself?

do the new versions of MBP have faster / better processors?