News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/09 - Harvey's Outdoor Theatre - Lake Tahoe NV - Post-Show Discussion/Review

Started by Hicks, August 10, 2011, 01:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Marmar

Rocket Man was sound checked in 93....glad to hear them finally play it.....even if it was a bit rough, still a nice rendition.....

QuoteAlso notable is the lack of "WTF we're they thinking" with regards to the setlist, especially the second set.

ehhh.....placement of Slave is a little weird....and unless these one time cover songs a la 1998 (nothin new here) are a Fishman piece, they should be first set material unless its something that blows the roof off....imho

Well played show, but the song choices are a lil "huh?"....it's progressing though....

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Caravan2001

Watching Trey play the glass slide (and nail it every time) on Rocket Man made the stream worth every penny.  Shit was schweeeeeet....even my wife stopped watching HGTV to check it out....All in all a very solid show IMO.  The Gorge had some amazing moments interspersed with a couple of train wrecks....This show is almost devoid of flubs even, at least during my view of the stream.  I do feel like they took a few more chances at the Gorge, but this show is very refined and tight.  Can;t wait to give it a re-listen...Very high marks for this show, I wish I was in attendance. I hope tonight is even better!

mehead

Quote from: Marmar on August 10, 2011, 09:57:34 AM
Rocket Man was sound checked in 93....glad to hear them finally play it.....even if it was a bit rough, still a nice rendition.....

QuoteAlso notable is the lack of "WTF we're they thinking" with regards to the setlist, especially the second set.

ehhh.....placement of Slave is a little weird....and unless these one time cover songs a la 1998 (nothin new here) are a Fishman piece, they should be first set material unless its something that blows the roof off....imho

Well played show, but the song choices are a lil "huh?"....it's progressing though....

I agree it's a weird slot for Slave but for me, moving some songs around in the setlist (i.e. CDT as well) keeps things a little fresh..keeps you on your toes a bit   :phish:
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Marmar

Q: what could have made this Rocket Man go from "good" to "fucking awesome" ?

A: Page using the synth to nail the synth lines that are what make the song the awesomeness it is.
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

roggae

Clearly it's all awful.

VDB

Thanks for the Vimeo embed, RJ. Listening now. No complaints really, except that it's not 1993 anymore and Rift is pretty much skippable these days.

Meat wasn't bad, on to Bowie.
Is this still Wombat?

Gumbo72203

its taking all of my will power to not pull up livephish to check out the song lengths.

I'm happy my dad is gone again today, so I can crank this show in the office here.  First 3.0 audience recording for me. 

Trey is sounding really nice on Party Time in his solo...  i'm almost thinking he's regained a lot of his old, pH methods in terms of licks and note cluster arrangements.  I say this, because like... i "hear" him playing the 3.0 lickz, but the notes... are better.  Like, it sounds like a regular guitar lick, instead of RRKRKKKRRRzZZAWWWNNNKKKKK-failing. 

And there most definitely is no > into Ok Kee Pa.  They start it quickly, but there IS a break.  Oh Kee Pa is sounding actually pretty quite together... holy crap. 

I wish I had bass in these computer monitor speakers, because I feel like the music should be a lot more powerful than it is; the band seems kind of "chill".  Like, the playing is tight and airy, but not like....  oomphy and driving.  Kinda like they're all just like... "yeahh man" and sitting back, all cool-like with a cigarette hanging out of the side of their mouth and a stripper across their lap. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Gumbo72203

Uh oh.

The Real Trey woke up in ACDC Bag.  Holy omg.  He plays guitar now!  bahhhH!!!!!!

The version is excessively short, but holy crap Trey like... can play the guitar like a normal Trey.  That was....  very nice. 

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Marmar on August 10, 2011, 09:57:34 AM

Fair enough, but it's not Show Of Life > Julius, Character Zero or Mike's > Joy or Stealing Time encore either. I thought that second set (and the first too) was a lesson in flow. I could've sworn we were gonna get 20 Years Later coming out of the heavy Light but when they went in to CDT I literally got out of my chair and started dancing. If the worst thing I can say is that Slave seemed out of place, I'm cool with that.

Quote from: Caravan2001 on August 10, 2011, 10:01:29 AM
Watching Trey play the glass slide (and nail it every time) on Rocket Man made the stream worth every penny.  Shit was schweeeeeet....even my wife stopped watching HGTV to check it out....All in all a very solid show IMO.  The Gorge had some amazing moments interspersed with a couple of train wrecks....This show is almost devoid of flubs even, at least during my view of the stream.  I do feel like they took a few more chances at the Gorge, but this show is very refined and tight.  Can;t wait to give it a re-listen...Very high marks for this show, I wish I was in attendance. I hope tonight is even better!

Definitely agree. I had a blast watching that (and hanging with you fine folks) and last night was enough to bring me back tonight. (Here's where I'd normally say "but I'm sure they'll make me regret that by 3.0'ing all over tonight" but I'm not gonna do that. I'm hanging up my satin haters club jacket. Until tonight anyway  :wink:)
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

emay

cant wait for another LST tonight while watchin this stream! Shit was sick last night. Light got dark.

Hicks

As far as I'm concerned they can play Slave wherever they want.

Still don't know if this is a contender for best of 3.0, but I'm def looking forward to giving it another listen.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Gumbo72203

this set is pretty good.  Minor trip up in Trey's final solo in Rift, and a little fluttering during Bowie's composition, but other than that... this is a pretty solid set.  Meat was really nice, and I loved the 10/31/98 approach to PYITE. 

Bowie I felt had a number of moments open up where the overturning harmonic convergences collided with optimal fretboard positioning that would have allowed a direct submergence into the funk-goo brain-wobble directionality of a "DOOD THEY'RE DOING IT!" consciousness-plane, but...  it done got durrrrp'd. 

It was good, enjoyable...but nothing spextracularcial.  Bouncing was fine. Horn is well-played, actually, with some nice dynamics.  Page is comping very well on the piano in this one. 

I kinda felt that they'd reached the exclamation point of the set with Bowie, so I'm curious to see how the feel and momentum changes with all these extra songs.  I think they would have fit better in between Mellow Mood and Rift.

But yay!  Fast H20Sky!